|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
The Island of Bastimentos is for the adventure seeker. The absolute beauty of the sunset and pristine waters will draw you in. The quiet, the tranquility, the cool breeze and open doors will excite your inner vacation. Surf if you like, deep sea fish, shell, hike and explore with only your reef shoes on.....or just sit back and read. pristine diving, swimming and snorkeling in the incredible water just steps from your front door! Hang up the phone, turn off the TV. and smell the ocean.
Leave your drivers license at home because all treasures here are found on foot or by boat. A short walk to fabulous Caribbean restaurants with awesome local flair. All your favorite foods and drink can be in your full kitchen when you arrive. Relax, enjoy the view on the oversized deck of your Caribbean sunset.
Keywords: Oceanfront Caribbean House
Ready to go for some awesome snorkeling!
The Owner purchased this house in 2006
The beauty of the Island, the pristene ocean, the incredible diving, snorkeling and swimming .... all right out the front door!
Beautiful tranquil sunsets from the oversized deck, the beauty and life of the water. The quiet family time at this secluded getaway.
these are some comments from our guests>>>>
We had a short stay at the house, it was really awesome! The water is incredible and our 9 year old had a blast in the wading pool. I'm hoping you guys keep the place without a T.V. One night we found our family actually just sitting on the deck or living room and reading together! The local restaurants are fun and so cheap! If folks really want to take their family away for a reconnect I hope they chose this one. I know we'll be back the next chance we get. Thanks Casa Rojo Rana!
Very nice location except you need a flashlight to walk path in at night,very uneven. Antonio, caretaker was at top of highlights. Two big disappointments were that good fresh fruit was very hard to find,both in Old Town as well as Bocas and Red frog beach. Can not swim in front of house very easily.Big undertow there I saw life guards rescue 4 people in 30 minutes.Three days after being there a German man drowned there, but all this lead us to find star fish beach which was one of the best beaches we have been on. People were friendly and we found Tio Toms in Old Bank to eat.Food was good people friendly and food was served family style. The deck on the house was fantastic for morning coffee as well as meals. Bob
This house was the perfect vacation spot. The view was just superb. The open floor plan was wonderful. Very spacious. Local fare was inexpensive and delicious, but please don,t miss cocktails at the firefly.
We are adventure travellers in our 50's and were excited to travel down a rocky path to this secluded house. It isn't on the east side of bastimentos (near or on redfrog beach) as the map indicated but the north end. There is no sand or small beach for beach chairs as the pictures indicate.Initially we were excited with this beautiful house. Big glass doors open to allow the ocean breeze when open and beautiful ocean view if closed. Lovely wood finishing, beds were acceptable.The dishes were not cleaned well but we fixed that with a trip to town (10 minute walk on rocky path) as there was no dish soap or any condiments of any kind no salt no pepper etc like all the other VRBO's we have used in Belize,Mexico, Costa Rica. From the stuffy hot loft with 2 twin beds accessible by ladder, the ceiling and railing is open so you can't help but view into the master and guest bedrooms, (not a problem for us as we were not using the loft). The dining table is small seats 4 only. The deck chairs are cheap plastic but functioned fine. The master bedroom shower runs hot to cold to hot and is very unpleasant. The master air conditioner beeped all night. There was no water one morning as the pump broke. It was repaired quickly. The stairs have anti slip tape except the landing where my husband slipped and was injured on his way to investigate the water issue. (It rained a lot the night before)The care taker was concerned but speaks very little english and we speak very little spanish) The care taker did phone the management company immediately and someone did arrive shortly after to take pictures all around the house. No mention of concern or offer of help. I do hope with this review that the glossy paint on the stairs is removed and the anti slip tape is added to the landing! We did tell management this but they did not engage in any discussion regarding this safety issue. Management did offer a private all day boat tour which did not go to the usual touristy snorkelling spots and was 30$pp. Normally tours usually last 9:30 -4:30, ours was 10- 3:00 we went where all the other tourists went and to crawl quay restaurant which is over priced with mediocre food and we had to ask to do more snorkelling otherwise we would have been finished even sooner. He did take us to a mangrove area which was new for us but Bocas snorkelling was not remotely comparable to Belize.
The beaches on the east side of the island are very dangerous with 6 drowning and 30 rescues in 1 month.
Casa Rana Roja was an awesome home base on my trip to Bocas.
There was always a good breeze and beautiful view over the water.
I like that it was quiet except for the sound of the ocean and easy to get taxis to get to get around if I wanted to go to other islands.
The surf was great and uncrowded and the snorkeling out front was a great way to end the day.The people in town were friendly.
I'm looking forward to my second trip in a few weeks.Great spot for vacation and the owners and property manager were always available to answer questions.
I have no idea how people could say this property was so amazing without being paid or incentivized to. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights from 3/7 to 3/10 and couldn't wait to leave. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Here are the reasons why:
1. The house is more run-down than the pictures show. Nearly half the deadbolts were missing or broken from the sliding patio doors. You can't open the window over the sink because it's been screwed shut. The cookware provided is rusted and junky and much of the utensils are mismatched and lacking in numbers. You couldn't have 6 people there with the number of plates, cups, and silverware provided. The main cutting knife and scissors were dull and rusty and the can opener had a broken handle. Most of the plates provided were plastic and everything felt so cheap. The one torch lamp had a broken switch and only worked occasionally.
2. Things were not very clean. My wife and I had to rewash all the dishes when we arrived. So much for paying for cleaning service. Also, the refrigerator doesn't get very cold so be aware. The shower heads were really rusted and gross.
3. There's no privacy in the master bedroom. Everything is open so from the loft you can look down into both bedrooms and vice versa.
4. There's no consistent hot water. The water would change from cold to hot and back to cold all in 30 seconds.
5. The laundry all stinks of mildew and there's only a few mismatching towels to use. I've never stayed at a VRBO that had such lacking supplies and linens. I highly doubt that the linens and towels were run through a washing machine.
6. The view from the deck isn't that great and the deck furniture is poor. There are trees right in front of your view so don't think you'll have a wide view of the sunsets. The ocean view in the pics is not on the sunset side. Also, there are four dirty plastic/cheap adirondack chairs to sit on with no table, etc... The deck could be so much more than what it is. One tree in front drops fruit which rots very quickly and outside smelled of it.
7. There aren't that many great options for food around and it's expensive to get groceries with limited supply. Firefly down the path is absolutely amazing and a wonderful bar/restaurant. We tried a couple other places by the house, but nothing great.
8. The part of the island that this house is on is very run down and poor. Most things you do will be on other islands or another part of Bastimentos.
This place was perfect. My 4 friends and I chose to travel to Bocas for surfing, not aware of all the other great things it had to offer. Initially we wanted to stay at a resort in the middle of the island, but then decided to seek a more affordable option. We couldn't be happier that we did! This house was absolutely everything you could ask for. Close to water taxi transport, very very clean, RIGHT on the water, big enough to comfortably sleep 5 guys, and filled with all necessary amenities. Water pressure was great compared to other island homes I have experienced, and we never had a problem with hot water. Also, the A/C worked AMAZING, which was really important for us since it was 95+ degrees every day.
Tips on the area... Take advantage of the fact that you're NOT staying at a resort. Walk around and explore the island. Head up the hill to "Up in The Hill" for the best coffee you're ever had. Do the zipline canopy tour, the guides are amazing. Rent ATVs to explore Colon. Explore Bluff's Beach, Starfish Beach (both on Colon), Wizard Beach, Red Frog Beach, and Turtle Beach. Take a water Taxi to Coral Cay for snorkeling. All of these activities are easily accessibly and within a 10-15 minute water taxi ride from the docks at Bastimentos (which are only a few minutes from the house).
It was a phenomenal trip, and we are all looking forward to our next visit.
This oceanfront property is one of the best ocean views you'll find. Tons of water activities or just sit on the oversized deck read and watch the boats go by. Heaven.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 23 2016 - Apr 14 2017
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.