About the property
- Cottage1500 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum StayNone
Cottage, 3 Bedrooms + Convertible bed(s), 2 Baths, (Sleeps 6-8)
For a relaxing get away in the beautiful lake surroundings, this private retreat offers something special - a timber frame house on Lake Oconee with charming floor plan, open staircase to loft master bedroom/master bath with vaulted wood-beamed ceilings, and lake views from loft, great room, and deck. As we and many others have found, this is a great place to enjoy family, friends, and peace and quite.
Property includes 150 feet of shoreline on a quaint cove just a few paddles from the main lake, providing serenity and easy access to the deep waters. The water at the dock is 4-5 feet deep, accommodating any-sized boat allowed on the lake.
Lake Oconee is in Georgia's lake country, on I-20, about 50 miles east of Atlanta and west of Augusta. For an idea of cottage location on the lake, you can map Sugar Creek Marina, which is a stones throw away: 353 Parks Mill Road Buckhead, Georgia 30625.
The cottage has three (3) bedrooms [two having a queen bed and one having a large double-sized bed], and a pullout couch in family room, for sleeping a maximum of eight (8). The backyard and neighborhood are also conducive to tenting outside.
- Beginning summer 2013, with the installation of the common-areas tile flooring, we will allow pets with a fee.
- If you are interested in boarding your pet nearby, instead, we've heard good things about the Harmony Pet Resort. You could check your pet out for a day of boating, etc., and back in after the outing before returning to the lake house. The boarder is in a cute little shopping village.
- Cable TV, DVD/VHS, Wi-Fi, Fireplace (wood), Fully equipped kitchen (dishes, cooking utensils, dishwasher, etc.), Washer/Dryer, Linens and towels, A/C, etc.
- Over 100 feet of lake shoreline in quaint cove (connects to large cove connected to the main lake; perfect for peacefulness, privacy, kayaking, canoeing).
- Dock (accommodates all boats)
- Rudementary old fishing gear (live bait at Sugar Creek Marina)
- Campfire pit
- Lawn and woods for tenting - small hiking trail to private bridge over stream in the woods.
- Foreman electric grill - for use outside or inside, on pedistal or without, on counter.
- Charcoal grill
- Gas grill - likely works with new gas tank; a previous guest may have left a tank in recent visits, but bring own to be safe, though still no guarantee that works.
- Sugar Creek Marina (2 blocks away - groceries, fishing gear, gas, fishing tournaments, etc.)
- Public boat launch at end of street (includes picnic tables and parking ($3/day or park car at cottage)
- Boat rental (+tow options including waterskiing, tubing)
- Personal watercraft rental (jet skiing, wave runners - enquire for list of rental companies)
- Movie theater (8 screens) with upstairs bar/restaurant and many neighboring restaurants
- Groceries at nearby Sugar Creek Marina (more at Publix grocery store ~10 minutes away)
- Restaurants (various, from southern mom & pop to Mexican to hibachi/sushi to seafood to steakhouse)
- Golf (numerous award-winning public, semi-private, and private courses)
- Tennis (public courts or rent pass from local courts)
- Shopping: (antiques, boutiques, spas, etc.)
- Kayaking (bring your own or rent)
- Swimming/Beaches (in lake or, possibly, day pass to local pools - will provide contact info)
- Biking (bring your own or rent)
- Wildlife Viewing
- Fishing (off private dock at cottage; in area such as at park at public boat launch at end of street; tours/excursions)
- Hunting (local gun clubs/ranges and tours)
- Antiquing (historic Madison, Eatonton, Greenville)
- Hiking/Walking/Jogging (long peaceful streets and many public parks around the lake)
- Horseback riding
- All-terrain vehicle and off-road truck rentals
[Also available for long-term lease]
Keywords: Cottage, Cabin, Lakehouse, lake, home, house, country, Oconee, Sinclair, Georgia, Atlanta, Augusta, Athens, Eatonton, Greensboro, Greensborough, Milledgeville, Madison, Buckhead, Dock, Fish, Boat, Ski, ATV, Horse back riding, Reynold's Plantation, Ritz, Publix, Sugar Creek Marina
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one hour
- English, Spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- May 19, 2018
About Trini Murray
We purchased the property in 2007 and have enjoyed it a lot since, as a family and with friends, and many guests have done the same.
Trini Murray purchased this Cottage in 2007
Why Trini Murray chose Buckhead
The location in a cover of the lake allows lake living (views, boat access to 'main' lake, etc.) with more peace and quiet then being right on the main lake. Guests also enjoy not having to worry about the lake (river aspect) currents when it comes to swimming/wading, and having their boats docked without bumping around.
What makes this Cottage unique
While there are nice neighbors around, they visit their places rarely for the most part. The rear of the house is in a hilly terrain with many trees, so there is a bit mountain-retreat feel, at the water. Privacy is high for sunbathing, just relaxing inside or on the deck, in the yard, or on the dock, etc. The Marina being across the lake is easily accessible by boat or car over the Parks Mill bridge, for groceries, fuel, and gear. The cove that the house is on is calm, which is ideal for docking and heading out in motor boats, and for canoeing and kayaking. Also, the Sugar Creek public boat ramp is within a half mile, for very convenient launching, and there are grassy areas, picnic tables, and restrooms, there, on the main lake, right across from the Marina.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 1:30 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Not suitable for rental.
I rented this house for a corporate outing. When we arrived we were greeted to overgrown grass in the gravel driveway. As we entered home we noticed a huge odor of pet urine. We walked out to the backyard to notice the deck was supported by pine logs only. As a result of our experience we called a local hotel and left the property unused for the night.
We are saddened and surprised by this review. We are sorry that the guest did not like the property, unlike the other guests who kindly visited over the 7 years that we have truly enjoyed sharing our family property through VRBO. Regarding the items mentioned:
i. Gravel - Gravel driveways are extremely common in the country setting of Lake Oconee. While we do plan to re-gravel, and add more landscaping, we have not received any complaints before or since.
ii. Lawn - We apologize for the long grass. Our old service visited bi-weekly and our new service, to visit weekly now, came unfortunately after your stay, too late and exasperated by the unseasonably heavy rains over recent weeks in in Georgia, which, while good for river and lake levels, nourish lawns to grow a lot in a week;
iii. Deck - The deck and dock, while not luxurious, are standard, strong, and enjoyed as a focal area by family, friends, and guests over the years. The deck is maintained by a local builder from their original to-code construction, and shown clearly in the photo section of our listing (9th photo);
iv. Carpet - We invested in tile flooring last year in the great room, living room, kitchen, laundry, and main hall, and shampoo the remaining carpet quarterly. The odor may have been from a pet of the guest before your stay, but our cleaning team did not notice. We have arranged for an extra deep carpet cleaning for tomorrow.
Kind regards, Mick & Trini
Buckhead cottage rental review
This was a great rental for easy access to restaurants, groceries, marinas. We used it as base for the Masters weekend. Each location. Quiet neighborhood. The house was easy location. Easy to be in - nice layout. The owner was exceptionally easy to work with. Enjoyed the deck on the house and at the water.
Our stay was great! The home was fully equipped with everything we could've wanted or needed.
So glad you all enjoyed your stay at the lake! Let us know next time you'll be in the area and glad to share a repeat-guest discount. Best, Mick & Trini
Loved it. Can't wait to come back when the weather is warm!
the place was clean, everything worked TVs, DVD, kitchen appliances. Bedrooms were a nice size. The area was very pleasant
Great Lake House
We enjoyed our stay at the lake house. We didn't spend a lot of time in the cabin since we were out on the lake, but it was a very clean and comfortable place. It was a great place to sleep :) The beds were comfy, the kitchen well stocked, and the closets were stocked with plenty of linens and extra pillows. I wish there were small toiletry items available like soap since we forgot ours, but that's okay. The owner was easy to deal with and very responsive. You can't beat the location of the house. We will definitely be back in the future.
Some old fishing gear. Marina stocked with gear, groceries, gas, etc. just 2 blocks away. Public boat launch at end of the block. Nearby stores: groceries, movie rental, pastries, etc. ATV rentals nearby.