Comfortable, Modernized, 1880s Farmhouse with Ocean Vistas(8 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
This owner doesn't offer online booking through VRBO's checkout. You won't be eligible for our Book with Confidence Guarantee.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram. Learn more
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Property type:Farmhouse
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
SW HBR: 3BR 2BA Cottage with island views and ocean access. Sleeps 6
The Cottage is 500 ft. from a rocky-gravel ocean beach, in a neighborhood of historic homes. A picket fence encloses the front yard, and there is a full-length back deck overlooking a 14-acre wildflower field to mountains and islands of the bay. Mid-June through mid-October, catch the free Island Explorer Bus at the end of the driveway to access towns throughout Mt. Desert Island and to access points in Acadia National Park; the bus accommodates bikes.
Picture a day beach combing, sight-seeing, or hiking in Acadia National Park, and returning to the tranquility of 'The Quiet Side' of the Island to enjoy your home away from home.
One guest wrote: 'Your cottage feels as though someone really lives here and loves this place - the lovely old furniture, pictures, and the books. I especially loved the bookshelf - what a wealth of local information. I wish I had more time to read them all! Everything we needed was here!
AMENITIES: Wireless internet access throughout Cottage. Closet with board games, poker chips, Scrabble dictionary, and several yard games. Shelves of local books, references, guides/maps.
FIRST Floor: Open living/dining room with gas fireplace and electric heat. Dining table seats 6-8, and living room furniture seats 7. Door to covered deck, back yard, field, and gravel lane to the beach. Master bedroom/bathroom ensuite with king bed is also located on the first floor.
Modern, recently renovated Kitchen. Washer/dryer, dishwasher, microwave, blender, wide-slot toaster, coffee grinder, coffee maker, electric tea kettle, tools and pots for cooking lobster, cook books, spices.
SECOND Floor: Three rooms - Green Bedroom with king-sized bed and door to back stairs. Blue Bedroom with either two twin beds or one comfy king - your choice. Sitting Room, with shelf of youth fiction childrens books, and a futon couch which converts to double bed for sleeping versatility. Full bath with clawfoot tub, and separate shower.
Other Amenities: All linens and towels, weather-station radio, iron/board, hair dryer, videos/dvd
Activities: DECK: Outside table and 6 deck chairs, 4 portable beach chairs, gas grill. YARD: lawn and bocce court with picnic table (bocce balls provided).
There are many kinds of attractions in the vicinity, and we have an organized box of brochures and maps describing them, plus area guide books. Wander along beaches, explore shops, museums, galleries, microbreweries, hear live music (almost any kind), attend live theater, eat a wide variety of cuisine, cook your own lobster (instructions available), or hike or bike on the Park trails throughout Mt. Desert Island, take guided tours, visit islands by ferry or mail boat, or explore Bar Harbor, Northeast Harbor, or other towns on the island.
Rain coats and rain pants for adults and roll up the sleeves/cuffs for children, plus rain boots for little feet. Raining? Put on rain clothes and go out and play! Memorable fun!
Or, hang around the Cottage - closet full of games, drawer full of videos/dvds, cd player, bocce court in the yard.
Location: The village of Southwest Harbor has specialty food, wine, and art shops, plus restaurants from casual to fine dining.
Our area is Mt. Desert Island - an island accessible by bridge. It has botanical gardens, museums, libraries, cyber cafes, restaurants, galleries, boutiques, microbreweries, bookstores, antique shops, health food stores, vegetable stands, live music, live theater, annual festivals (July: Pink Flamingo, Sept: Garlic, Oct: Oktoberfest to name a few) , country fairs, and acres and acres of the natural beauty of Acadia National Park.
Our area offers rentals, guided tours, or do-it-yourself opportunities for hiking, bicycling, sea kayaking, sailing, fishing, whale watching, golf, tennis, lake or ocean swimming, visiting islands, learning history, studying ecosystems, and exploring Acadia National Park. The Park is located throughout Mt. Desert Island, co-mingling with the towns. This makes for the unusual opportunity to access the Park from many entrances.
Before making a payment, always call the owner at the number listed on our website to make sure your payment instructions are accurate.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.Learn more
Member since: 2004
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Children Welcome:
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- 3 bedrooms, sleeps a maximum of 6 people Bed/Bath Ensuite - King, This is on the first floor, off the living room. Green Room - King, This room has door to back stairs. Blue Room - 2 Twin/ Single, This room has a door to adjacent sitting room. Beds can be made into comfy King Sitting Room - Sleep Sofa /Futon, Futon converts to a double bed for flexible accommodations. First Floor: Downstairs is a master bedroom bathroom ensuite, containing a king bed, plus a full bathroom. Second Floor: There are three rooms, all with doors to the upstairs hallway, and all with views across a wildflower field to the mountains and islands of the bay. Every bedroom has a closet, a chest of drawers, a bedside table and lamp, a clock, a flashlight, and plenty of pillows and blankets. We make the beds prior to arrival; flannel sheets in the spring and fall. The Sitting Room and the Green Room also have books....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- 2 full baths First Floor Bathroom - Toilet, Combination Tub/Shower, This is off the first floor master bedroom. Second Floor Bathroom - Toilet, Tub, Shower, This bathroom has a clawfoot tub. The first floor bathroom is off the downstairs master bedroom, and is heated by the electric baseboard units in the bedroom. In early spring or late fall, we provide an electric radiator for this bathroom. The portable hair dryer is stored in this bathroom. The second floor bathroom, with a claw foot tub and separate shower, has its own heat. The iron and ironing board are stored in this bathroom....moreless
- First Floor Layout: Two entrances, one from the driveway and one from the deck. Entrances open into Living room area which has a gas fireplace, and couch and chairs to seat six. There is a games closet, plus a TV/DVD/VCR, and CD player. This is an open area with Dining at the other end. The dining table is a drop-leaf gate leg table which opens to seat six to eight in front of a picture window. In the sideboard are placemats and flatware, and some glasses and dishes; most glasses and dishes are in the kitchen. Off this open area is the master bedroom bathroom ensuite through one door, and an equipped, recently modernized kitchen through another door. The kitchen has washer/dryer, cook books, and pots & tools to cook lobster. For outdoors: we have several umbrellas, many sizes of rain jackets, 6 pair of rain pants, kid's rain boots (toddler size), and a baby-carrier backpack (for up to 45 lbs)....moreless
- Audio Tape Player
- Books For Adults
- Books For Kids
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Games For Kids
- Music Library
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 6 people
- Activities Guide
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Clothes Dryer
- Filtered Water
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Lobster Pot
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Deck / Patio:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Small Cooler
- Walkway To Water
- Wood Deck
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 20 - Jun 23, 2017
7 night min stay
Changeover Day: Saturday
Jun 24 - Sep 9, 2017
7 night min stay
Changeover Day: Saturday
Sep 10 - Nov 4, 2017
7 night min stay
Changeover Day: Saturday
My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $300
- Tax Rate 9%
Half Rent as deposit to hold the week, and the remaining rent, plus refundable security deposit and lodging tax due 30 days prior to vacation.
Owner's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting owner when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The Cottage is 2.5 miles from the fishing and yacht-building village center of Southwest Harbor, population 1,900. Acadia National Park and area towns co-mingle on Mt. Desert Island, so there is a trail a short distance from anywhere on the island. Two Acadia National Park trails are within walking distance of the Cottage; the rest are within a (free) seasonal bus ride or short diving distance. The Cottage is a 500ft. walk to the tidal ocean where you can beach comb, swim (very refreshing), or launch kayaks. There are many kinds of attractions in the vicinity. You can wander along beaches, explore shops, museums, galleries, microbreweries, hear live music (many kinds), attend live theater, eat a wide variety of cuisine, cook your own lobster (instructions available at the Cottage), or you can hike or bike on the Park trails throughout Mt. Desert Island, take guided tours, visit islands by ferry or mail boat, or explore Bar Harbor, Northeast Harbor, or other towns on the island.
Year Purchased: 1997
About the owner: We live in the area and we love it! We bought the Cable Crossing Cottage so we could live in Southwest Harbor and enjoy Mt. Desert Island and Acadia National Park right out the back door. We're happy to share Cable Crossing Cottage with you, so you can enjoy our area and environs. We do the change-overs each week, so we know everything is in place and in great shape for when you arrive. Doug is self employed as Arntzen Builders, and Betsy is a licensed massage therapist.
The Unique Benefits at this Farmhouse:
We love it here in any weather. Really. Every day is a great day when you're in Maine. We have stocked the Cottage with rain pants and rain jackets so you can go out and play in any weather. But don't worry, it won't rain. Who has a bocce court? WE DO! Bocce balls included.
- Secondary: +1 2072664078
Links to more information:
Comfortable, Modernized, 1880s Farmhouse with Ocean Vistas
Walk out living room onto deck; gas grill under covered side of deck (L)
Seating near the fireplace; door to front yard
Cozy gas fireplace
View out the big window in the dining area; table expands to seat 6
Kitchen includes dishwasher, and spices in the cupboard
Green room has king mattress and looks out towards the ocean
Looking across bocce court to deck of Cable Crossing Cottage
Common Good Kitchen and Cafe, downtown. Self-serve popovers, pay what you want!
Nearby Acadia Mountain, part of Acadia National Park
Seaside village of Southwest Harbor
500' from ocean. Deck view of sailboat races and lobster boats.
Deck looks out over a wildflower field to the ocean.
Gas Fireplace - one switch for on/off ambiance and heat
Microwave, coffee maker, blender, washer, dryer
Blue Room can remain two twin beds, or it can be made into comfy King bed
Play bocce while gazing across a field to the ocean.
Walk 500ft to beach, and beachcomb for miles. Cadillac Mt. in distance.
Walk half a mile for a foot long lobster roll!
4 miles from the Cottage, visit a working lighthouse, on National Register
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.