About the property
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay3 nights
2 Story, 3 Bedroom, 3 bath, with Private Lake/Marsh, Playground & Pool Access
Attractively decorated and comfortable, this house is perfect for a relaxing Ocracoke Vacation. Enjoy the serenity of the marsh by kayaking, taking in the wildlife (great bird watching). Relax on the screened in porch taking in the spectacular sunset. First offered as a rental in 2011, this cottage is conveniently located in Ocracoke Village, walking distance from Variety Store and Howards Pub, beach access (half a mile each way), walking distance to grocery store, good restaurants and shopping.
Downstairs: Living Area (1) King Bed and Full Bath with tub/shower, (1) Queen Size Futon / Game Room with (1) Full Bath with tub and shower across the hall.
Upstairs: (1) Queen in one bedroom; (1) Full and (1) Twin in third bedroom; (1) Full Bath with tub/shower in hallway.
Amenities include central air/heat, ceiling fans, wireless internet access, Direct TV, DVD player, stereo w/CD player and tape player, microwave, dishwasher, telephone, and washer/dryer. After a day at the beach, the kids can play on the private playground. The exterior offers large screened porch with chairs and table and deck with views of salt marsh and lake. There are spectacular views of the sunrise and sunset.
Linens provided. Renters have access to Blackbeard's Lodge outdoor pool and game room with pool table/air hockey and fooseball table. Maximum 8 people, including children. Limit of 3 vehicles. Inquire about boat slip rental.
Keywords: Secluded, Sleeps 6, Panoramic Views of Marsh & Lake, Playground. Screened in Porch, Access to Blackbeard's Lodge pool and only Game Room on Ocracoke
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within two days
- english, spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- May 26, 2018
About Helena Stevens
We have had this lovely cottage since 2003. We also have a second home in Virginia Beach, VA. We love the ocean and bird watching and the nature in this area is breathtaking.
Helena Stevens purchased this House in 2003
Why Helena Stevens chose Ocracoke
This remote area is perfect for relaxation and meditation. The cottage itself is very centrally located, but far enough off the beaten path to get away from it all when you want.
What makes this House unique
The cottage is 5 minutes from the beaches, walking distance to Variety Store, Howard's Pub. Private Playground and unobstructed 360 view of marsh and pond.
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Please ask the owner or check their rental agreement when booking the property.
Great house, bad water
Pat's Place is a nice spot on one of our favorite vacation destinations. It is well appointed and the rooms are spacious. The yard is very private, which is unusual for a small island, and has a great play set for young children. It has a nice deck area, some of which is screened in. Directv on the TV.
The Bad? This house has not been hooked up to Ocracoke's water supply, and so the tap water is from the ground. It is salty and undrinkable. You can wash in it, but don't expect to be able to work up a lather with soap, and you may not feel as clean as with a fresh water shower. There is a water softener installed, but when it is out of salt, as it was when when we arrived, the water also had a sulfur oder. The maintenance staff at Blackbeard's Lodge replenishes a 5-gallon jug of drinking water as needed. The island has great water, but not at this house. Just be aware of this before you go.
Previous reviews mentioned problems with the dishwasher and sink. Both of these issues have been resolved.
Decent place to stay at the beach
We enjoyed our week at the beach at Pat's Place. Be advised to take or buy your own bottled water. It is not fancy; there are flaws. But a week on beautiful Ocracoke Island outweighs the bad, and it's affordable. If you're going to spend your week at the beach IN the house, or if you're picky, don't stay here.
Water is beyond disgusting, house is just ok... pool access is awesome!
- The water. The water was disgusting!! Upon leaving and double checking that we got everything we peeked in the storage shed and noticed a water softener, but it surely wasn't working; I texted Helena on the day we left about it. We just figured the water was just terrible, nothing raised any flags to us that it wasn't like this all the time since the kitchen sink is a rusty, corroded mess. My husband said water softener looks like it hasn't worked for awhile. Bigger issue, the water stained over a hundred dollars worth of name brand clothes when we did a load of laundry! I was so mad! We didn't wash anything else other than towels and darks! Renter beware when washing clothes!!!! I was so bummed about the stains and bc we banked on being able to do laundry! We drank from gallons of spring water all week bc we never could find a functional water filtration system here.
- The septic tank was overflowing first day. Helena sent someone right over & he said "this filter looks like it hasn't been cleaned in 100 years"! Septic tank filters are supposed to be cleaned every 6 months, or sooner with rentals!
- Dishwasher was broken.
- The place is not in good shape... even my 10 yr old said "is everything here broken?"
- We had no wifi the first few hours we were there until I found the modeum wasn't even turned on.
- No closet or even really a dresser of considerable size in upstairs bedroom with the twin/full. What a bummer!
- Kitchen table falling apart
- Sinks in bathroom need to be caulked, they slide and my toddler's finger even got pinched
- Very spacious house! Plenty of room for 4 adults and 4 kids (one being a young toddler, not even 2 yet).
- Great location right on the marsh. It's truly a beautiful sight!
- Playground was a lifesaver with 4 kids! Nice safe area for them to play!!
- Being able to use the pool and game room at Blackbeard's probably outweighed most of the cons, since it's rare to find a house this size on Ocracoke with pool access.
- Satellite tv was great! But beware about Cartoon Network... from 8pm-6am they play Adult Swim cartoons! Omg, one night before bed the kids were watching what we all thought were normal cartoons, but I walked in on bad language and cartoon sex!
- The game room with the futon was a great place for my 10 year old to sleep so he could have his own area away from the other three toddlers! It really is like a 4th bedroom.
I wouldn't recommend mostly bc of the water and staining!!
Very cute place, was a little disappointed about a few things..
1. The pool at Blackbeard's Lodge is broken right now so we could not use that.
2. The dishwasher at the cottage is broken would have been nice to know a head of time, so we could have brought dish soap.
3. The stove was clean, however they had not put the burners back in properly so it would not work at first until we figured that out.
Overall the cottage was nice and clean and a great place to say.
So sorry your experience wasn't the greatest. Since your stay the pool has been fixed and is in working order. Hurricane Matthew did a number on the pool and it took some time to repair. The dish washer is being repaired. We would have gladly brought you dish soap - just let us know. Glad the weather cooperated and everything else was okay. Again - sorry for the inconveniences.
Great Location: Private and Clean
We enjoyed our stay at Pat's Place. It is off the main road, so is quieter than other Ocracoke offerings. It was very clean--we could smell that bleachy-clean when we walked into the place. It has all of the expected amenities, except towels for the beach, so make sure to bring those. Furnishings were functional and some showed wear and tear, but we were fine with the no-frills approach. Additionally, this venue is on an inlet, so there were quite a few mosquitoes outside, and repellent is a good idea, if you're susceptible. Unlike one of the reviews, we had no issues with bugs inside--everything was clean and comfy. Our only issue was the internet. While we showed as connected, with several bars, we were unable to actually use the internet. We stopped by the host hotel twice to remedy this. The first time, we waited at the desk for 10 minutes, but no one showed. On the next trip, we got a shrug and were told to "unplug/replug it"--which we'd already tried. But, as we weren't there for business, it wasn't a big deal and just used data; but if you need connectivity, I'd double check to make sure this isn't still a concern. Overall, great place, great location, and the perfect place to chill.
Kayaking on the lake, bird watching, bike riding