Beautifully Renovated Historic Cottage on Chesapeake Bay(8 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
5 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 4 fireplaces, 45' screened porch, sleeps 11
Amusements: We have a collection of beautiful jigsaw puzzles and classic board games (Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue and Risk), Yahtzee, Connect Four, and Battleship, Dominoes and Mexican Train, Set, poker chips, and enough decks of cards to play a giant game of Hearts.
We have Bocce and Croquet Sets, and a net that could be used for volleyball of badmitten, and enough space to have all three games going on simultaneously.
We have five single kayaks, and a large double sit-upon kayak you are welcome to use. We have life vests for four adults, but please supply life jackets for your young guests.
Dogs: Well-mannered dogs are welcome guests. (Due to owner allergies, we cannot accommodate cats.) We have a moveable pen, dog dishes, and various covers for furniture for your use. Our dog Simon likes to keep watch from the upstairs daybed. Our property is secluded but not fenced so dogs that tend to wander should be supervised. Guests are encouraged to treat their dogs with tick, flea and heartworm preventive before visiting. There is a security deposit of $100 per dog.
Local Attractions: Tour local vineyards. Discover the history of the 19th century fishing industry at the Fishermen's Museum in nearby Reedville and enjoy the charming Victorian mansions built by local sea captains on Main Street. Go antiquing in nearby Kilmarnock. Step back in time with a boat trip to Tangier or Smith Island, or join one of the local captains for an exciting day of fishing. Visit an 18th century architectural treasure, historic Christ Church designed by Chistopher Wren. Take a hike in Hughlett's Point Nature and visit Shiloh Schoolhouse.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2011
- 2544 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 12
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Considered
- Vacation Rental
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 11-12
- The master bedroom has a king bed, which is flanked by a fireplace on one side and wide windows facing the Bay on the other side. Beyond the bedroom, a bright sun room provides a private retreat. The other upstairs bedroom has a queen bed and a fireplace. The baybed in the upstairs sitting room between the two bedrooms makes up into a single bed. Downstairs, the blue bedroom has a queen bed as does the yellow bedroom. Both rooms face the Bay. The yellow bedroom is accessed through the blue bedroom or by a separate entrance from the front porch. The yellow bedroom does not have heat or air-conditioning, but it does have a ceiling fan and windows on three sides. These two bedrooms work well for a family with children. The coral bedroom faces the gardens. It has a twin daybed that opens that opens to two twin mattresses side by each. It could be made up as a king bed or as two twins. All five bedrooms have ceiling fans....moreless
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
- The master bedroom has a full bathroom en suite, granite countertops and double sinks, with a generous walk in shower, and separate separate water closet. The second upstairs bathroom serves the second upstairs bedroom and the bay bed in the upstairs sitting room. This large full bathroom (shower) also also houses the washing machine and dryer. The first floor bathroom, located in the hallway between the coral and blue bedrooms has a combination tub/shower. The outdoor shower is in the bamboo grove next to the house....moreless
- Our property includes beautiful perennial beds and a lovely kitchen potager garden. The expansive lawn around the cottage provide ample room for touch football or more organized games of croquet or bocce. Kids and dogs have lots of room to play. Decks wrap around the front and west side of the house.The 42' long screened porch, which has a large picnic table and six Adirondack chairs, is a great place to enjoy one of our classic board or card games or a good book. You are welcome to use our two 14 foot single kayaks, with paddles and adult life vests, large double sit-upon kayak and the 4 person paddle boat. We have a collection of beach chairs and cushions, and beach towels. We have a tabletop telescope and binoculars to enjoy the landscape and night sky. The Dish Net WIFI connection is intermittent and unreliable. You could use it to check email a couple of times a day but you shouldn't anticipate being able to telework from Poynton Lodge....moreless
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Bird Watching
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Seating for 10 people
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection $59
- Tax Rate 5.3%
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The Northern Neck is a hidden treasure on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay, with wide water, abundant wildlife, and tranquil seclusion. Less than 3 hours from Capitol Hill, it is miles from the urban frenzy. Explore quaint small towns, bike on quiet country roads, or kayak up meandering creeks.
Or just sit back on the deck and watch the water, which never ceases to fascinate. At dawn, local watermen harvest crab and fish in traditional flat bottom boats. After dark, brightly lit cruise ships steam down the Bay toward the Caribbean. Herons pose on the jetties, pelicans and cormorants circle the fish traps, and eagles soar overhead. You may even spot a pod of dolphins swimming along the shoreline.
Our cottage sits on seven secluded acres, with 360' of private sandy beach. Our family has been building fabulous memories here for the last 27 years. Come build yours today.
Year Purchased: 1985
About the owner: When we bought Poynton Lodge as a weekend house, it was a funky summer cottage with a killer view and minimal amenities. We drove down from Washington DC most weekends from April to November. Renovation (in 2007) and retirement (2012) have made it possible for us to spend much more time at Poynton Lodge.
Why the Owner Chose Ophelia, VA, USA:
'Just one look, that's all it took.' From the first glimpse of the water as we walked around the house, we were hooked.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
Opening all the windows to sounds of the waves lapping on the shore. Sitting with a cup of coffee on the front porch watching the sun rise. Following a pod of dolphins as they work their way up the river. Tracking soaring eagles as they wheel overhead. Paddling a kayak out to the fish traps. Settling into an Adirondack chair with a good book. Foraging in the potager garden for fresh fruits and vegetables. Roasting marshmellows over a bonfire on the beach.
- Primary: +1 703-732-4874
- Secondary: +1 7037324874
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Deck sits above the beach
The beach looking to the west
a lovely sunset
the living room as seen from the front porch
Living room firepalce
Master bedroom sitting room
2nd floor bathroom
Blue bedroom - first floor - queen bed
view from the living room
Outdoor shower in the bamboo grove
Chesapeake Bay is 125 feet from the front porch
Dining room looking through kitchen and pantry
the front porch
Master bedroom - sitting room is on the left
another view of the master bedroom sitting room
Green bedroom on second floor - watch the dolphins from your bed
Coral bedroom daybed pulls out to two twin matresses side by each
Yellow bedroom has views of both the water and the gardens
Screened front porch
Chesapeake Bay on a spring afternoon
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.