About the property
- Cabin1335 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 - 4 nights
Cabin, 3 Bedrooms, 3 Baths, Sleeps 12
Little Bear Cabin, with fantastic forest views and room for up to 12 guests, is a must-stay-at Government Camp vacation rental!
Gather everyone together after a day of enjoying Mt. Hood attractions and relax in the cozy living room that comes complete with a flatscreen TV and entertainment center.
An open and upscale kitchen with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances coaxes out your inner chef and includes plenty of seating around the island.
The master bedroom can be found on the top floor and includes a queen-size bed with a private bathroom and an open loft that houses an additional queen mattress. A large bathroom splits the hall between this room and the second upstairs bedroom, which includes two sets of bunk beds and a queen bed.
The third bedroom is on the main floor and contains another set of bunk beds and queen bed as well.
For family reunions or large retreats, consider renting the Big Bear Cabin just steps away from Little Bear, allowing a combined total of 31 guests.
There's even plenty of room for you to bring up to two of your dog friends. Just remember we have a nightly fee per dog, with an additional minimum fee per stay.
The cabin is conveniently located close to the base of Glade Trail, which is connected to Timberline Ski Area, which is a favorite with snowboarders, skiers, and those who like to snowshoe.
In the summertime, take in the sounds of beautiful Camp Creek that runs between Big and Little Bear cabins.
For a real wooded mountain getaway, Little Bear Cabin is a great Mount Hood vacation rental for your group!
Vacasa, OR - Mt Hood / Hood River Office
- Response time:
- within one hour
- english, french, german, spanish, portuguese, italian
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 19, 2018
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
We have been renting homes in Government Camp for 13 years, we give this place a 3 star rating.
We look forward to our annual Government Camp trip, as we have been doing this for the last 13 years. This particular home was just okay. The path to get to the house was narrow and compacted with snow and ice. The home has ample room to sleep many people but the living area is just too small to accommodate much more than 6 people. The living/kitchen area is open. There is an island with bar stools around it that might sit 5 comfortably, that is the only eating area. There is one very used over stuffed sofa and one recliner, that is it for seating. The bar just has wood bar stools, not very comfortable after a long day on the mountain. The heat did not work in the main floor restroom and the house was very hard to get to a comfortable 68 degrees. The bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen appliances, and washer/dryer were more than adequate. The biggest drawback on this home is the trail to the home. No front view, the home sits behind behind a home, and the lack of a comfortable living area to accommodate more than 5 or 6 people.
This cabin is well stocked and close to many winter fun activities. Will definitely stay here again.
An Ok place
Just as the reviews state the neighbor is rude and yelled at our kids for basically being on the property line. (So we assume it is) 3 ft from the house should be the line.. Hot tub and Wifi is at Big bear house. Wifi is not usable. The venting for the furnace and water heater of Big bear vent directly into the hot tub area. Hot tub was not clean. Over all the place is a lot smaller then the photos appear it to be. only 4 places to sit down for TV .. No kitchen table.
We are sorry to see there were some disappointments with this visit. There is no WiFi advertised for this home; we apologize for any inconvenience this caused our guest. The hot tub was cleaned and balanced just prior to this guest checking in. We are still working with the neighbor and appreciate our guests' patience in the matter. Thanks!
Good place but beware of neighbors
This cabin provided a great experience but I do have some feedback. As some of the other guests mentioned, things like oil, sugar, tupper-ware, saran wrap, etc was not provided but all other kitchen equipment was. We also could not get one of the upstairs heaters to work in the bedroom with the loft, luckily the bathroom heater worked so we left the door open. As another guest mentioned there is a very cold draft in the downstairs bathroom so we made sure to keep that door shut. <br />
On the plus side there is plenty of sleeping space for everyone, while the kitchen/living area are a little tight it was not a huge issue. I did not read the other reviews thoroughly before booking to realize that the hot tub is shared between the two cabins - it didn't turn out to be an issue however as the people in Big Bear were very friendly. I do think it is a little absurd to only offer 2 parking spaces for a 12 person cabin, that was a bit of a pain point for our group. We ended up having people drop their stuff off then parking in downtown Govy which is conveniently only about a 5 minute walk. <br />
I would say overall the biggest stress was the multiple emails regarding the neighbors and the issues experienced with people on their property, parking near their house, or making noise after 9pm. With a group of 12 people it can be difficult to keep quiet so these threats were quite stressful to me as there was talk of a $1,000 fine if a noise complaint was made. I was emailed multiple times about this before my stay to the point where I was hesitant to keep the reservation, luckily they were out of town when we arrived so it turned out to be a none issue. I would say if you can avoid the neighbors it is overall a good experience!
Little Bear in Government Camp, OR
This is a lovely lodging in a wonderful setting by a rushing stream. The town of Government Camp is in a great location to many trailheads. We did Mirror Lake, Umbrella Falls/Sahalie Falls Loop, The Fruit Loop and Columbia Gorge waterfalls. We only stayed 3 nights, next time we will stay 4!!
Could have been a 4.5
First, the positives:
1. Property located in an ideal location near Timberline (5 min) and Meadows (20 min).
2. The heating system works great (except upstairs thermostat broken).
3. Plenty of clean sheets, towels, linens, and blankets.
4. Washer and dryer are full size and pretty new.
Now, the NEGATIVES:
1. Little Bear is directly behind Big Bear. The walkway to Little Bear is right under the eave of the roof for Big Bear. The walk way was NOT shoveled at all. Had to climb over piles of snow, stepped in a sink hole to my knee walking in, and the entire path up to the porch was covered in snow - no real attempt at shoveling. Just terrible - law suit waiting to happen. I would never let an elderly person try to walk that walkway - thankfully we did not travel with grandparents this time - I would have demanded a refund.
2. Although the advertisement does clearly say that cooking supplies such as oil, sugar, tupper-ware, saran wrap, etc was not provided, generally speaking, this is the first place I have ever been to that did not at least provide simple amenities. If you plan to cook, bring everything you need, or plan on buying it at the Govey Store down the street.
3. Lots of light bulbs blown and not replaced.
4. Advertisement does NOT clearly state that there is NO DINING TABLE. The kitchen island doubles as the prep center and dining table, with 8 tiny stools tucked under the eaves.
5. Upstairs thermostat is broken - either the heater is on, and it gets too hot, or it is off, and it gets too cold.
6. None of the bathroom doors have locks!!! How crazy is that? You want to go #2 and you can't lock the door? Ridiculous.
7. Parking area is only modestly shoveled out.....doubtful you can fit 4 cars as the signs suggest. Thankfully, no one in Big Bear while we were there.
Some general comments:
Neighbors are sensitive. Our kids (ages 5, 7, and 8) were playing in the snow by the side of Little Bear and the neighbor yelled at us that we were on their property. No signage, no posts, nothing to indicate we entered their property. We apologized and cleared out, but delivery was rather rough. The property itself is handsome - a real log cabin. My happiness at finding such a nice property was rapidly squelched by the snow packed walkway and multiple annoyances throughout the house (noted above).
Additional information about rental rates
Major Credit Cards Accepted. Taxes and fees are not included. Rates and availability calendars may change until time of booking.