The sail loft dates back to the early 1800's and sits on the historic Castine harbor. After a detailed restoration – soul intact – it is now an extraordinary and exclusive spot with all the modern amenities, to enjoy the true Maine experience. This property has 3 bedrooms, 3 baths and every comfort imagined.
Sail or drive into Castine's harbor, right up to the private dock or parking space and walk right in. This one-of-a-kind home has two stories. The upper level is the main open living and dining space, with a cantilevered deck over the water. The lower level is the more relaxed living and sleeping space, with a glass floor to see the tide (and sea life) come and go. Outside is a private courtyard, surrounded by stacks of lobster traps with easy access to the dock or down to water's edge, to spy on the starfish.
Castine, a small coastal village of approximately 7.9 square miles, is located on a peninsula in the East Penobscot Bay Region of Maine. The town, on the National Register of Historic Places, consists of two distinct geographic areas referred to as the Village and 'off neck,' a narrow strip of land that separates the Bagaduce River on one side from the Penobscot Bay on the other.
More than 100 historic markers can be found in this town characterized by its 18th century architecture. Major landmarks include Fort George, built by the British in 1779 and partially restored as a state memorial, and Fort Madison, earthwork remnants built by the Americans in 1811, occupied by the British during the War of 1812 and reconstructed during the American Civil War.
The year-round population is roughly 1,300 including 800 college students attending Maine Maritime Academy. With summer residents, and visitors by land and sea, the population at least doubles from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Castine is located in the East Penobscot Bay Region of Maine, 1 hour from Bangor, and 1.5 hours from Camden and from Bar Harbor. Situated on a peninsula, Castine is bordered by the town of Penobscot to the northeast, Brooksville across the Bagaduce River to the southeast, and near Islesboro to the southwest.