About the property
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 - 4 nights
House, 1 Bedroom + Sofa bed + Day bed with twin bed
Welcome to “ORCHID” HILO VACATION RENTAL HOME:
See all my homes at www.hilovacationhomes.com.
Located on the same side of the street as the ocean (NOT across the street from the ocean), the Orchid cottage has limited views and easy access to the whitewater coastline. Walk along the coast in either direction or fish from the cliffs. Soothing sounds of the waves crashing along the shoreline can be heard day and night. This spacious 1-bedroom 1-bath house is an affordable accommodation for an individual or couple who wants to be near the ocean. The house has a fold out couch and a day bed with twin mattress for additional guests.
Very clean and exceptionally well appointed. Kitchen, full-sized washer/dryer, high speed internet (WiFi). TV viewing option include Amazon Prime, Netflix and the better cable alternative, Sling TV.
Click on the "Video" tab for video walk through of house.
The Orchid house is located south of Hilo town. Just 25 minutes to central Hilo. An easy 35 minutes drive to the Volcanoes National Park. Close to Big Island Hawaii guest activities and the warm pond swimming area (about 15 minutes by car). Approximately 25 minutes drive to Hilo swimming, snorkeling, and surfing beaches - Richardson's Beach park.
Near Downtown Hilo yet it feels like a secluded Hawaiian town. Just minutes from beautiful Pahoa and on the way to the Kalapana Lava viewing area and other Pahoa sights (Champagne ponds, Ahalanui Beach Park - Warm ponds, Maku'u farmers market). Same distance to Volcano National Park as Hilo.
Please visit my dedicated website at www.hilovacationhomes.com. The Hilo Activities tab has the best organized overview of the many activities in and around Hilo organized by driving direction.
Not sure which house is best for you, simply call me at (818) 357-6889.
Vacation Rental Highlights:
• Large, 900 sq. ft. guest house with separate step down bedroom. The sofa is a fold out bed in addition to a day bed with a twin mattress.
• 12 miles from Downtown Hilo.
• Walk to rear portion of the property for amazing sunrises and ocean views. Whale watching during the winter months. Chairs available at the house to bring back to the edge of the property.
• Live in a community of Hawaiian residents and learn why so many people decide to retire in this area.
• Why settle for a house away from the water? This house rents for the price of a hotel, but includes a complete kitchen and washer/dryer.
• Often rented for long term stays, the house is private with little traffic on the street in front and an unused garage separating this house and the main house.
• House is completely stocked. Everything you need for cooking, plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, hair dryers. Ironing board/Iron, playpen, highchair and Cable Wifi, Netflix and Sling TV.
• Living Room – Large couch and day bed for plenty of seating. Couch folds out into queen size bed if your party is larger than 2. Flat screen T.V. with Amazon Fire controller. This as Amazon Prime and Netflix for a huge selection of prior shows and movies. For current shows and sports, the better cable alternative Sling T.V. offers all the usual cable stations in a slick user interface.
Small selection of books and games for the evening.
• Kitchen – Everything you need. Coffee maker, blender, toaster, rice cooker, pots/pans. Lots of cooking tools. Large oven/range.
• Master Bedroom – Very large, step down separate bedroom with King size mattress. premium sheets, nightstand, dresser, clock and ceiling fan. Sliding glass door to outside porch and limited view to ocean.
• Bathroom: Single bathroom near front door in living room. Bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths, hair dryer, shampoo and soap provided.
There is more to do in and around Hilo than any town on any of the Islands. It just isn’t well advertised because there aren’t resorts to promote the area. Please visit http://hilovacationhomes.com/hilo-activities/ for the best organized site - showing activities by driving direction.
• Waterfalls - Boiling Pots, Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, Waipi’o Valley
• Gardens – Hawaiian Botanical Gardens, Lili’uokalani Park and Gardens, Nani Mau Gardens, Akatsuka Orchid Gardens.
• Museums – Lyman’s historical and geological museum and The Tsunami museum. Both in downtown Hilo.
• Beach Parks – Richardson’s Beach Park, Onekahakaha Beach Park (the calmest), Carlsmith Beach Park, Reed’s Bay, Lehia Park. Punalu’u Beach Park and Whittington Park.
• Volcanic sights: Volcano National Park, Thurston lava tube, Kaumana Caves State Park, Pahoa transfer station, Live lava bike/hike tours in Kalipana Viewing area.
• Markets and shops: Hilo Farmer’s Market, Maku’u Farmer’s Market, Hilo Coffee Mill, Ka’u Coffee Mill, Volcano Winery and Mehana Brewery, Hilo Candy Company, Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut and Punalu’u Bake Shop
• Other – Hilo Zoo, Palace Theatre
• Shop large stores for all your supplies. Just a quarter mile above the Hilo airport is a Walmart, Target, newer Safeway, mall with modern movie theater and cute stores.
• Looking for familiar fast food? In the same area is a Burger King, Panda Express and Starbucks. Just up the street on the north side is a Subway, Jack in the Box, McDonalds and Domino’s Pizza.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 16, 2018
About Richard Standke
Owner of 4 homes directly across from Richardson's Beach Park and 3 ocean front homes in Paradise Park. I manage these homes personally with my cell number available to all guests. Payments are handled through the security of the Homeaway/VRBO site. Guests also receive information on restaurants, shopping and my favorite places to visit. Other Hilo homes I own and manage at Richardson's Beach Park include VRBO Listing #27642, VRBO Listing #3948511ha, VRBO Listing #3948514ha and VRBO Listing #4035464ha. This property has the main house toward the ocean, separated by an unused garage. That house is VRBO Listing #453162. Lastly, about a mile away from this house I have a three bedroom/two bath home listed at: VRBO Listing #453162. I always keep the calendars updated.
Richard Standke purchased this House in 2012
Why Richard Standke chose Hawaiian Paradise Park
This house is a stones throw from the water yet priced as a bargain. The house has a kitchen and laundry facilities for comfortable long term stays. The property is a guest house off the quiet street with an unused garage separating this house from the main house toward the ocean. This is a large house for a one bedroom (900 sq. ft.). The main house is also a vacation rental and is listed on VRBO as VRBO Listing #453162. The bedroom is large and has a king size bed. An additional 2 guests could stay on the fold out couch (best for kids). A new day bed also offers a nice, twin size mattress. The best alternative for a third person. This allows you to stay in privacy yet be only 22 minutes from Hilo central.
What makes this House unique
Not well known, Hilo has more tourist destinations than any Hawaiian destination. These include: *Historic Downtown with shops and restaurants on the Bay. * Waterfalls right in town. Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots. * Akaka Falls just 25 minutes North of Hilo * Volcano National Park, just 35 minutes above Hilo * Hawaiian Botanical Gardens.One of the nicest gardens you will find. * Hilo Farmers Market. Everyday but largest on Wednesday and Saturday. * Liliuckalani Gardens at Hilo Bay including Coconut Island. * Lyland museum for historic information and geologic rocks. * Tsunami museum housed in a historic bank * Wine tasting at the Volcano Winery * Beer tasting right in town at Hawaii Nui Brewery * Coffee tasting at Hilo Coffee Mill on your way to the Volcano * Hilo Zoo. Free and very pretty. * Mauna Loa Nut company self guided "look through window" tour and gift shop. Free and nice shop for lunch and ice cream. * Historic Palace Theatre downtown. Check internet for show dates. * Nearby to Pahoa town, near active lava flows. *Continue on to Ahalanui Park's warm pond and then snorkle at Champagne Ponds (tidepools) in Kapoho. * Venture South beyond Volcano National Park to Punaluu County Park for lots of black sand and full time lounging turtles. * Continue South for Punaluu Bake shop and South Point Road. Incredable vistas from the most Southern point in the U.S. * Go North along the beautiful Hamakua coast and go horseback riding in Waipi'o Valley.
Sports & Adventure Activities
Perfect for your stay in Keaau
The house is very clean and well equipped for your stay.
Pros: very nice location, very quiet community, not too far from Hilo or Pahoa. Very clean and well equipped.
Cons: this area is much wetter than other parts of the island. There was a strong, musty odor when entering the house but this dissipated quickly upon opening all the windows. No beaches within walking distance but a very nice look out point was at the end of the road.
Make sure you visit the tide pools and take the scenic drive up the coast of Hilo. Also, visit Uncle Roberts Wednesday night for a taste of true Hawaii. Also make time for the Makuù farmers market Sunday morning and the Hilo farmers market Wednesday. Also , stop by 2 ladies kitchen in Hilo for outstanding Mochi.
Great location! Saw whales swimming by!
The house was nicely equipped for all our needs, thank you.
Quite nice place for 3 or 4 people to stay.
Good location to see the sea and friendly neighbors.
A Lovely Puna Retreat for 2 or 3 People
The Orchid House was a wonderful home for us for 30 days, while we were relocating to the area. Fifteen minutes away from two supermarkets (in Pahoa and Kea'au), and 5 or 6 minutes away from the wonderful Sunday Maku'u farmer's market, the location was convenient to services (auto work, DMV, restaurants) as well as close to Hilo (25-30 min.). But the house is even closer to the wild and amazing Puna coastline. Literally steps outside your door is the amazing Pacific Ocean. Take care not to walk right up to the cliff's edge! There's also a few peek-a-boo views of the ocean from the house, surrounded by beautiful foliage and palm trees.
Richard has done a great job of stocking this clean one bedroom house. It's perfectly comfortable for 2 or 3 people, including room for some separate privacy if one of your company desires it. We like to cook a lot, and there were plenty of pots, pans and dishes for that. A washer and dryer on premises was nice for those (like us) having a longer stay. Plenty of hot water. Internet worked well 99% of the time (as good as back in San Francisco). There's plenty to watch on TV, if you want. But you'll probably want to get out and see the Volcano (about 30 minutes away), or drive the Red Road, or check out Pahoa, or hang out at Issac Hale State Beach.
My recommendation: get up early in the morning to see the tremendous dawns over the ocean, then walk to left down the street to where it meets Beach Rd., turn right and walk a bit more to the section of road that borders the cliffs for about 1/4 of a mile (about 10-15 min. walk). Many walkers from Hawaiian Paradise Park stroll this way in morning and late afternoon. They are so friendly, too. Take some time to "talk story." In this part of the Islands, everyone is nice, laid back, and we were welcomed everywhere we went.
Thanks, Richard, for sharing your home with us! We were happy to call this home for a month. All the best, Mahalo!
Small well equipped.
It's a nice place in a beautiful location. We stayed in the cottage which has no view. The bathroom is up a short flight of stairs from the bedroom which could be a challenge at night for the elderly. The owner is accessible and cheerfully helpful if needed.
The home was smaller than anticipated & a little more "private" than I thought, but once we got used to being here it was fine. The ocean view is better in the larger, or main house but we really did not spend a lot of time in the house. I wanted the native experience, not the tourist area. Therefore, this worked for that, however, if you are a city person this is not for you! I live in the suburbs of New Jersey and this was pushing my limits of roughing it! I really would have loved some air conditioning. I think the thing that got me the most were the warnings about locking all the doors and windows. It made me think the area was not safe, however the area seemed really nice & we did not have any incidents of any kind. Without all the warnings I would have left the sliding doors open and the breeze could have keep the place cooler. Overall, if you are looking for a basic "off the path" cottage, this is the place. It has a washer, dryer, frig, microwave, ironing board & cooler; Queen bed in the bedroom, a day bed in the living room & a sleeper sofa. The first 2 days we did not turn on the hot water, the cool water shower was refreshing! About a 30 minute drive to Hilo & Volcano Park.
Close to Volcanoes National Park, Downtown Hilo, Shopping, Restaurants, Dining, University of Hawaii Hilo, Hilo Medical Center. Ask about our other HILO OCEANFRONT HOUSES AND BEACH HOUSES
Additional information about rental rates
Please don't waste your money on Damage Protection.