|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
When you book through the VRBO checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Enjoy the Coastal Living lifestyle? Welcome to the ideal South Shore retreat,
Starfish Hill. Nestled along the shores of the LaHave River, this property boasts over 175ft of saltwater frontage. This beautiful river opens up to the Atlantic Ocean only minutes from the property. While other vacationers are sitting in fog on direct oceanfront, Starfish Hill is located just outside the fog bank allowing you to enjoy sunny days.
Located on a private lane of only seven residences, this quiet one-acre gem, a late 1940's cottage, was lovingly renovated in 2011. Two sets of french patio doors open onto the huge 750 sq. ft deck where you can savor fresh coffee and breakfast while enjoying the sparkling waters and boats sailing past. Boating or sailing in? The LaHave River Yacht Club, which is only a short quarter mile tender trip from our dock, offers deep water moorings, slips, fuel and youth Learn to Sail lessons during the summer.
Some of Nova Scotia’s most visited beaches are a short drive. Crescent Beach, Risser's Beach, with it’s spectacular boardwalk, Green Bay and the local favorite McLeod's Canteen are not to miss. The Petite Riviere winery is a wonderful visit as well. Don’t miss the delicious baked goods, breakfast and lunches from the famed LaHave Bakery (only 2 minutes away, the delectable scent of this bakery will keep you longing for years, trust me!)
Lunenburg and Mahone Bay are within 20 minutes. Hop on the LaHave River Ferry only 2 minutes from the cottage, to visit these historic towns. Bridgewater, a 12 minute drive, offers a mall, grocery stores, hospital, museums, restaurants and all the amenities of a busy town. Halifax, 75 minutes, Stanfield International airport 90 minutes.
- 3 bedrooms, sleeps up to a maximum of 6.
- King master.
- Queen guest room.
- Bunk bed in the 3rd bedroom.
- Kitchen has water views and bar top counter.
- Stainless steel fridge, convection stove and microwave (NO dishwasher).
- Open concept living and dining room has a dining table for 8.
- Wood burning fireplace, with glass insert.
- Work/desk area.
- One full bathroom.
- Unlimited high speed WiFi (NO television).
- Huge 750 sq. ft Deck with outdoor dining and umbrella for 6-8.
- Additional side screened in porch with seating.
- Teak steamer lounge chairs, make for plenty of
additional outdoor relaxation.
- Washer/dryer in the out building, clothesline to take advantage of the fresh sea air.
- Two outdoor fire pits, one on the dock and near the cottage deck.
We’ll be happy to share more information about the area, things to see and do and answer any questions you may have about the property. Warm wishes!
Keywords: Oceanfront, waterfront, beach, beautiful, coastal living, yacht club, decorated, kids, dogs, families, private, secluded, Bridgewater, Risser's Beach, Green Bay, Cresent, dock, deck, wharf, sand, bunk bed, LaHave bakery, boats, sail boat, fun, fire pit, relaxing, furnished, comfortable, paradise, gem, haven, ocean, beach combing, romantic, getaway, sailing, shells, starfish.
Born & raised in Nova Scotia but now living in the US, my heart is always in NS. Once we started a family we wanted our children experience this part of the world and all it has to offer. It's a perfect location, close to family and not too far from the city. We feel so fortunate to have been able to find such a property, as it is rare to have one come available in the area. We return every summer to Starfish Hill (which the children named after collecting starfish off the beach year after year) and count the days until we can return. NS has been considered a secret getaway for many of North America’s prominent families who have summered here for decades and for good reason. People here truly are salt of the earth and it’s beautiful natural surroundings and majestic ocean is spectacular.
We invite you to share this wonderful place and make your own lasting family memories here.
Shawna & Stan
StaySail Vacation Rentals purchased this cottage in 2003
We saw the reviews and saw the photos, and when we arrived we were not disappointed. A beautiful spot with great views. The cottage was so cozy as well. Our dog Copper loved the water. We left Cooper's "security pillow" behind and the owners were so wonderful in having it mailed it to our home. Outside the cottage, take a scenic trip up to the beaches which are within a few miles or spend the day in picturesque Lunenburg. A lot to do and a lot of relaxation. We hope to be back!
We had a wonderful time at the Cottage. It was a perfect jumping off point for exploring the South Shore. Having the ferry and the bakery so close was really nice too. The cottage was as expected--clean, comfortable, and perfect for our family of 3. No complaints at all. Thanks for a wonderful stay. To future guests--hit Rhubarb restaurant near Peggy's cove--very yummy and the best chowder around. Risser's beach and crescent beach were both really nice. We found a very off the beaten path hike not too far from Peggy's Cove--can't remember the name though. But, it was a great hike along the coast and we avoided the masses at Peggy's Cove.
Our family of four thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Starfish Hill! Charming home with everything we needed within 15 minute drive. We spent our mornings sitting down by the water with cups of tea watching our boys exploring the river bank and then we would head to the superb LaHave Bakery for breakfast, after which we explored local beaches, great historic museums, charming towns until the light would start to bend. We would arrive back at the house to take showers, wash clothes, grill out, love the terrace! and when it became dark-start a fire inside and read/ talk about our day. Weather in June was perfectly cool with no Mosquitos. Owner Shawna was great to work with. Highly Recommend this house for families who want to enjoy their down time together in comfort and beauty! Great relaxing, quiet space! Great area to explore from! Wonderful!
we stayed at starfish hill for two weeks in June 2014. amazing things about the property:
- pet friendly - we brought our two dogs with us and they had a blast in the ocean and running around the property. the cottage is FAR from a main road so we weren't worried about them at all.
- very few bugs - i really hate mosquitos and we found that being by the river/ocean really helped with this. there was often a lovely breeze keeping things nice and fresh.
- close to "civilization" - being at this cottage you feel away from it all, but bridgewater is a 15 minute drive away for groceries, drug stores, some restaurants. traveling with a small baby, it was great to be so close to amenities if we needed them.
- the cottage itself obviously! - the furnishings are beautiful, the view is even better. we loved making fires in the evenings and sitting out on the deck for breakfasts.
- the setup - this cottage stocks almost everything you need! lots of towels, clean sheets on the bed, lots of dishes and glasses, full size fridge and great having a washer and dryer. i loved hanging my clothes on the line to dry, everything was so fresh and crisp!
- no TV, but great WIFI - i loved not having a tv. we had an iPad and when my husband HAD to watch baseball games, he got a great connection through the wifi and could watch anything on his iPad.
- the owners and caretakers - all fabulous! we had a small problem with the deck umbrella and a gentleman came the very next day and fixed it. great communication.
- anyone with kids - they have a great setup for kids. there was a pack n play waiting for me, there are fun bunk beds, and they have a ton of great toys in the shed for older kids to play with.
we are already talking about our next visit to starfish hill!
My family loved this cottage the moment we drove down the lane and into the driveway! Once we entered the cottage we were thrilled to see how lovely it was. Better then the pictures! It is decorated with Pottery Barn furniture and unique handmade decor items (the headboards in the bedrooms...love!). Speaking of bedroom, the master suite is incredible. I don't think I would ever tire of waking to the breathtaking view every morning. The picture window is a wonderful feature. The ameneties were so thoughtful...pack 'n' play, highchair, booster and lots of toys for the kids. As well, the oversized deck was a great area for the whole family to sit, relax, play and sun! We enjoyed some fishing off the dock, watching the boats go by and many meals both insde and outside. We did pull ourselves away for a trip to Hubbards and Lunenburg. We took the whale watching tour of which we did not see a whale but enjoyed the spectacular sights of the Ovens, fishing villages, the puffins and the sea lions. We also indulged at the LaHave bakery a couple of times (lemon squares!). We loved the location of the cottage as it was close to an area we fell in love with. We enjoyed the private and peaceful location, the many birch trees and the one seagull and duck that visited us daily. Starfish Hill is a little peace of heaven. Thank you for the family memories!
My husband and I stayed here at the end of August 2012, with our ocean loving golden retrievers. We're postive they smelled the water before we drove up the lane way. The cottage is beautifully set on hill that allows for a gorgeous view of the ocean inlet. The sunset and sunrises are spectacular. The property is well maintained and the interior is warmly decorated pottery barn style. We BBQ'd daily and ate fresh lobster and scallops from a fisherman across the ferry. The LaHave Bakery is just down the road. Fresh breads, sweets, deli and community art shop are there for our enjoyment. We had family over and they thoroughly enjoyed their visit as well. Everything you need, Starfish Hill has it: from bonfire pit to laundry, to a giant patio and water toys. We loved our stay and would do it again!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
|Refundable damage deposit||$570|
*Cleaning Fees Apply.
Cleaning fees will be deducted from the damage deposit after check out.
**Damage deposit less cleaning fees will be refunded within 14 business days after check out less any applicable fees.
***Pets may be considered. Please inquire at time of booking.Additional damage deposit and cleaning fees may apply.