Casa Amarilla in Chemuyil, Mexico
4 minute drive to 2 different Caribbean white-sand beaches
This is a beautiful 4 bedroom house (3 bedrooms, 1 loft, 1 mezzanine) located:
10 yards from the Chemuyil children’s park
30 yards from the grocery/beer store,
50 yards from taxi/collectivo shuttle bus stands,
100 yards from authentic Mexican eateries (at Mexican prices)
2 miles to Xel Ha eco/water park:
Less than 1 mile to the award-winning turtle sanctuary powder white sand beach of Xcacel
(Jennifer Lopez shot her video 'I'm Into You', there!!!)
Standard rental includes 2 bedrooms, plus 2nd floor loft and two bathrooms
DELUXE rental includes 3rd floor plus the 3rd floor mezzanine loft ,3rd bathroom and thatch-roofed terrace lounge with auxiliary bar/kitchen.
-a loft leads to the master bedroom with king-sized bamboo-framed bed, king sized bath tub in master bathroom
-main floor guest room with 2 double beds
-Second floor loft has a library and double bed.
Comfortable living area with couches, flat screen T.V., wifi
-2 fridges, stove, A/C’s, washer/dryer, microwave, blender, toaster, etc
-we provide beach chairs, beer cooler, sunshade umbrella/tent hammocks, kayak,….
4th Floor white-tiled ocean breeze sundeck (from which you can see the Caribbean Sea)
3rd floor thatch-roof shaded terrace overlooking town park
Gated front patio just steps from children's playground and local grocery store
-Large storage room with washer/dryer
several WORLD CLASS destinations are practically at your doorstep!!!
(email me for links to CUT and PASTE on your internet browser)
Scuba Diving: Akumal (5 minutes)
Pyramid Ruins: Tulum (14 min)
Hidden Worlds Caverns and Zipline Tours (6 min)
Stellar public beaches:
Xcacel Beach (4 min)
Bahia Principe Beach (5 min)
HAPPY HOUR at beachside bar La Buena Vida. $1.50 beer from 5-6pm daily. Great food, great ambiance! Wednesday karaoke. North Akumal (7 minutes away)
5 star golf: Riviera Maya Golf at Bahia Principe( 4 minutes from our house)
Xel Ha: dolphin discovery, snorkel, zipline & water park: (3 min from the house)
THE HOUSE located in downtown Chemuyil, less than 1 mile from the ocean,
3 miles south of Akumal
25 miles south of Playa del Carmen
55 miles south of Cancun Intl Airport
we are 12 miles north of Tulum
Staying in Chemuyil is an authentic Mexican experience!!!
The town itself frequently hosts festivities, soccer matches and markets that you simply will never see in the tourist zones!!!
Besides the Expat subdivision in neighboring Chan Chemuyil (half a mile south), there are still blessedly few foreigners in this quaint town!
Due largely to the employment opportunities from the Adventure Parks, Pyramid ruins and All-Inclusive Hotels in the area, Chemuyil has grown from a humble 20 people in 1990 to a bustling town of over 1200! Because employment is high, the town is much “better off” than most Mexican pueblos.
Chemuyil is family oriented and very community-centered.
The whole community gathers at the soccer field to watch nightly matches.
Children play unsupervised in the early evening at the town park across the street (this is a good indicator of the town's safety)
When it is time to celebrate a birthday, a baptism, a woman's coming of age (quinceanera), or a wedding, entire neighborhood streets are closed to vehicle traffic . Pinatas are hung and the sounds of laughter, dancing and music are quick to follow!
The fruit and vegetable market sets up on Wednesdays and Saturdays a block south of our house.
Garbage pick-up, town cleaners, and a friendly police presence give you a pleasant sense of cleanliness and community.
…and the town truly comes alive during its numerous festivals. The Day of the Dead, Mexico's Independence Day, The Virgin of Guadalupe, Christmas, The January Rodeo, Mardi Gras, and Semana Santa are some of the bigger ones.
Spanish will come in handy in Chemuyil so brush up before you visit.
It is truly a Mexican pueblo. Many locals can speak some limited English, but don’t count on it!
groceries, restaurants, The Chemuyil cave, or the local swimming hole (Xunan Ha Cenote) are all within a reasonable walking distance
Chemuyil always has a line of taxis 50 yards from our house
The Mexican government subsidizes their public transport system so bus prices are artificially low. Shuttle vans (collectivos) run every 5-10 minutes from about 7AM to 11PM up and down the North South highway that connects Tulum to Playa del Carmen to Cancun. The shuttle vans pick up about 30 yards from our house. Hold a hand in the air and flag one down.
$2.50 per person to go from Chemuyil to Tulum or Chemuyil to Playa Del Carmen
Truly, there is soooo much to do in the area, you will not regret the convenience and mobility of having your own wheels.
THINGS TO DO LOCALLY
(distances measured in proximity from our house):
1. Visit Xcacel Beach (1 mile east) ($1 entry)
2. Visit Bahia Principe Beach (2mile N) (free entry)
3. Golf Riviera Maya (2 mile N) ranked Mexico's #3 course
4.Scuba Akumal Dive Center(3 mile N)
More people scuba dive this region than ANYWHERE else in the world. !!!FOR GOOD REASON!!!
5. Xel Ha marine Park (2 mile S) - is one of the region's top tourist destinations. 1000's come every day to experience the All Natural Eco Park: dolphin discovery, lazy river tube ride, cliff jumping, snorkeling, zip line etc
6. Akumal public beach- (3 mile N) (free)- We see giant sea turtles EVERY TIME we snorkel there.
7. Akumal's Yal Ku Lagoon- ($10) awesome snorkeling in a sheltered lagoon (possibly as good as Xel Ha but at 1/5 the price!)
8. Tulum Archeological Ruins (12 mile south) ($10)
9. Zip Line/Cavern Tour Aktun Chen (1 mile N) (ranked in National Geographic's Top Ten)
10. Playa Del Carmen's 5th Ave shopping district ($2.50 to Shuttle there)
11. Coba Ruins- 40 miles west. The tallest Mayan Pyramid in Mexico! AND (unlike Chichen Itza), YOU CAN STILL CLIMB IT!!!
Rent a mountain bike for $3 and cruise down the ancient Mayan roads!
12. Tour the UNESCO world heritage colonial city of Valladolid (68 miles W) Art galleries, remarkable swimming caves, a quaint plaza with European-style eateries.
13. EDVENTURE tours!!! Local Chemuyil resident Eddie owns and operates an adventure park 6 miles into the jungle. Drive a 6 person buggy into the jungle, zipline through the canopy, rock-climb then repel down a 50 ft structure, cliff-dive into a crystal clear clear pool, snorkel into an underground cave!!!
14. Casino! Go play some blackjack, roulette, play the slots or hit a Texas Hold 'Em tournament at the local casino (2 miles north of our house) at the Bahia Principe Casino. Free drinks for gamblers (but be warned, you will pay 7% tax on your winnings)