Elegant, Historic, Oceanfront Property - C. 1796 House W/ Wharf(5 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
Historic house on Mahone Bay, 3 Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths, (Sleeps 5-6)
A large deck at the front of the house facing SE overlooks the river and ocean bay, a perfect spot for a morning coffee or an evening cocktail cooled by sea breezes. A smaller deck at the back facing SW off the kitchen gathers all the sun of the day, a place to glory in the sunset over the three-acre meadow and pond. Two small barns with bright red doors house canoes and bicycles, and a walk down the lawn leads to the wharf with floating dock, and deep-water mooring. In summer, the river and ocean basin are filled with beautiful sailboats, and the Annual Martin’s River Regatta (Labor Day Saturday) is a race for classic sailboats, large and small, around the islands of Mahone Bay.
The house, 2000 sf of living space, has living room, dining room, library, study, kitchen, mudroom and two full baths on the first floor with high ceilings, and three charming bedrooms and a powder room on the second floor, tucked under the eaves of the long sloping roof. The entry on the driveway side opens to the mudroom with washer, dryer, and laundry sink, coat storage, and a full bath. The dining room, the largest room in the house, has high ceilings, chandelier overtop a long dining table (seats 8-10), three windows with long French curtains overlooking the front deck and views, a corner cupboard, and a charming built-in dish cupboard. The living room, equally elegant, has a long red, curving sofa for ample seating, a collection of books on art and architecture, and a wide screen LG Smart TV and stereo. From the living room two doors open to the long library with its built-in bookcase filled with history, poetry, fiction, classics and current events. Board games and puzzles, along with bar glassware are housed in a large armoire, and a classic sofa and wing chairs as well as a table for deskwork, complete the library furnishings. A separate study contains music library and a synthesizer keyboard. (Upright, acoustic piano is in the dining room.) The eat-in country kitchen has windows on three sides with views to the water, a Jotul woodstove, and a doorway to the back deck with BBQ and woodshed. A second full bath leads off the kitchen, and access to the full-height basement downstairs to ground level.
The original front entry door with transom window ‘lights’ opens onto the small front foyer and a curving staircase leads to the second floor. Three cozy bedrooms upstairs have sleeping accommodations for 5-6 persons and are beautifully furnished and decorated. The smaller guest bedroom boasts a sweet, antique 3/4 bed, bureau, and desk, with a window that looks out to sea. The larger guest bedroom contains a queen bed with a lovely fabric tester over the head of the bed and a window toward the bay. The large master bedroom (combined from two smaller rooms) is ample in size with a king bed, antique bureau, dressing table, and two draped windows overlooking the barns and the river. A small 2 pc. powder room on the second floor is a convenience to guests at nighttime.
Hill House is furnished with old and new – newer beds and furnishings complemented by lovely antiques and original paintings. A plentiful supply of pillows, cotton sheets and fluffy towels create a comfortable experience.
Local stores carry fresh produce and baked goods, including the Boulangerie De La Vendeenne around the corner. Eat in or explore the excellent restaurants of Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and Chester, just a short drive away.
Great local beaches include Sandy Cove, Hirtle’s Beach, Crescent Beach on Green Bay, Risser’s Beach, Beach Meadows, and the unbelievably gorgeous Carter’s Beach (an hour away) for long strolls.
Details of the property:
Three Bedrooms - all on second floor
• Small Bedroom (3/4 bed), ocean view
• Guest Bedroom (queen bed), ocean view
• Master Bedroom (king bed), river view
• 2 pc powder room
• Ocean facing views of Martin’s River and Mahone Bay
• Comfortable seating
• Antique furnishings and original paintings
• Book on art and architecture, and collection of classical and choral CDs
• Large coffee table for board games and jigsaw puzzles
• Smart TV and stereo/DVD system
• Antique corner cupboard and built-in dish cupboard
• Large dining table (w/ removable leaves) seats 8 to 10
• Upright piano
• Beautiful custom-designed bookshelves with collection on history, poetry, fiction
• Sofa and two wing chairs for lounging or reading or quiet conversation
• Armoire with barware and games
• Large glassware cupboard
• Antique table for study or computer work (WiFi)
• Fireplace (non-working)
• Bookshelves with music collection
• Writing desk with computer keyboard and synthesizer
• Windows with views to ocean and meadow; access to back deck
• Ample cabinetry with all cooking and dining supplies, and pantry
• Appliances: stainless steel stove and refrigerator, dishwasher, toaster oven, coffee maker, electric kettle, Cuisinart, blender, slow-cooker
• Antique 8' farm table with seating for 6-8
• Antique country table island for food prep
• Jotul (Little Bear) wood stove (wood in woodshed beside back deck)
• Bookshelf with sailing books
• 'Ladder' shelves of herbs and spices
• Cuisinart gas grill on back deck
• Two Bathrooms on Main Floor (both 3 pc with shower/tub)
• Powder Room on Second Floor (2 pc)
• Full height basement, unfinished (with boulder foundation and original cooking fireplace with iron pot crane)
• Picnic supplies and coolers
• Utilities access
• Exterior door
• Front deck with railing overlooks river and ocean. Have a morning coffee or evening cocktail watching the river flow by or the sailboats at their moorings.
• Back deck with gas grill, woodshed, views of meadow and pond, sunshine all day long, glorious sunsets, and spectacular star-gazing.
Wharf, floating dock and deep-water mooring with use of two canoes, paddles, life-jackets.
Keywords: Seaside property, house, oceanfront, historic, cottage, farmhouse, heritage property
- 2000 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 5
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Non Smoking Only
- Not Suitable For Children:
- Pets Not Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5, Beds for 5
- King size beds (1), Queen size Beds (1), Full (3/4) Bed (1)
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- We invite you to enjoy our home, a charming 18th century historic house. This house is cozy when its cold and cool when the weather heats up - must be due to the 6 inch thick plank walls. Two decks - one at front and one at back - allow you to enjoy sunrise over the water with your morning coffee and sunset over the back fields with your evening cocktail. Or, sit out by the river in chairs on the floating dock (cool off with a swim) and view the world from sea-level. Views abound from every part of the property. We happily live in this little paradise year-round but are happy to share it with others during our beautiful summer seasons....moreless
- Music Library:
- Tourist Attractions
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Ocean View:
Our wharf w. floating dock (5 ft tides) across from the house on Martin's River where it opens up onto the body of water known as Mahone Bay, a large and scenic bay that is awash in beautiful islands....moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Water Tubing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Room
- Seating for 10 people
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Parking Off Street
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $299.12
- Cleaning Fee $74.78
Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed.
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The scenic towns of Mahone Bay (7 km), Lunenburg (15 km), and Chester (20 km) are nearby, offering a wealth of scenic beauty, architectural interest, groceries, restaurants, antique shops, music festivals, art festivals, boat festivals, bicycle rentals, whale watching tours, kayaking, and sailing. And, the body of water known as Mahone Bay is a sailor's paradise, hosting eastern Canada's largest sailing regatta each August.
Year Purchased: 2007
About the owner: We are a couple involved in the arts. My husband is a composer and choral conductor and I am an artist and decorator. We moved from Connecticut in 2007 where we founded a children’s choir and later a commercial music publishing company. We relocated to Nova Scotia when my husband accepted music directorships at two universities in Halifax. Although we were familiar with the beauty of the South Shore, having spent fifteen years with our children on summer vacations in the La Have Islands, we chose to live closer to Halifax when we moved to NS permanently. A property on the water where we moor our 20 ft traditional Cape Cod catboat makes for a happy life, and the waters of Mahone Bay offer some of the best sailing on the eastern seaboard. With six children and four grandchildren, this house is the scene of many happy family gatherings.
Why the Owner Chose Martins River, NS, Canada:
The saying that ‘It's always sunny in Martin’s River’ is true. If there’s sun to be found anywhere it’s along Silver Point Road. We chose the charming village of Martin’s River not only for its sunshine and ocean access but for its proximity to Halifax and the airport, and the Towns of Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. Sailing on the waters of Mahone Bay with its 365 islands (some now but a nubble) is an activity we pursue, and an interest in historic architecture (this is a 1796 Cape) completed the picture.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The three acre property sits atop a knoll with beautiful views of the islands of Mahone Bay. In fact, one can see all the way to Big Tancook Island from the front deck. The river, with numerous private wharves, flows by the property and our wharf and opens onto a lovely ocean basin, home to numerous sailboats and their congenial owners. The rails-to-trails network, that runs from Halifax to Yarmouth, meanders by Long Cove behind the house, accessed by a beautiful grassy, country lane. A pond on the property fills with wild irises in June, and the birdlife is rich with song. Star-gazing is spectacular on a moonless night and both sunrise and sunset are unequalled from this hilltop setting, high above the water. One of the perks of the neighborhood is being able to call in and pick up an order of fresh baked French bread from the famous Boulangerie de La Vendeenne just around the corner.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Charming front entry with storm door and transom 'lights'.
View out to sea from the front deck
Another glorious sunset over pond and back meadow of 3 acres.
Front entry - with hooks for coats
Dining table seats 8 to 12 diners. Antique 6-panel doors throughout.
Living room - front of house
Living room with LG Smart TV, stereo system, CD collection (classical), books
Library - custom bookshelves - history, art, poetry, biography, fiction to read
Kitchen - Jotul woodstove, dishwasher, sink, with views over back acreage & pond
Study/office on first floor - music library and keyboard.
Master bedroom - king bed with view out two windows to quaint red barns
Guest room - queen bed with fabric tester and view to the sea
View of house coming up the driveway
Late day sun on the islands viewed from front deck
Morning mist on the river at our floating dock
Dining room - front of house - with antique dish cupboard in corner.
Steinway upright piano in dining room
Living room - big red sectional for movie viewing, cocktails, board games
Library - a long room with exposed beams, comfortable seating
Kitchen - antique farm table with glass top - seats 8 - view to sea from windows
Kitchen - door to back deck and lawn, stainless steel fridge, stove & hood
Charming winding staircase to second floor (3 bedrooms and 2 pc bath)
Master bedroom - king bed with linen headboard and bedside reading
Guest room - Victorian three-quarter bed (42" w) and bureaus and view out to sea
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Monday, March 06, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.