We love Tybee Island and have been visiting for years, so we have rented many homes. When we decided we wanted to build our own home, we talked about what had really worked (or not) for us in the past:
• A great common area – We don’t go to the beach with family or friends in order to spend time hiding in the bedroom. We like having good space to gather – to eat, to play games, to watch tv. So we designed an open plan a comfortable, inviting place to gather.
• A cook-friendly kitchen – We love to cook, and wanted a kitchen that could allow for homemade feasts or heating up left-overs. And we didn’t want the cook(s) to be left out of the fun, so the kitchen opens and flows into the great room.
• Great beds – We like to sleep well, so we invested in good beds; we love them, we hope you will too.
• Three King beds! We have grown children and wanted everyone to be comfortable, so we have KING beds in three of the five bedrooms. Two of those bedrooms have an ensuite bathroom, and the third one has a private balcony. The two remaining bedrooms: one has a queen and the other two twins.
• Best of both worlds location – Our home is two blocks from the back river (close to an easy put-in spot for kayaks; also close to a fishing pier) and five blocks from the main ocean-front beach. We love to walk around the point between the ocean and back river, which has the most spectacular sunsets Tybee has to offer. We are on a QUIET street, but only a few walkable blocks from many restaurants, ice cream joints and shops.
• Elevator – We have aging relatives, and would prefer not to carry heavy suitcases upstairs, so we added an elevator that goes from the ground level to both the main and bedroom floors.
• Spacious but Cozy – we wanted our home to be spacious but not feel sterile or cold. When our first few guests told us we had managed to build a spacious home that feels cozy, we felt great.
• EXTRAS: We added some of the extras we love – a nice screened in back porch, a good gas grill, a fenced yard (small yard, but nice and private), WiFi, telephone for local calls, large (4K) flat screen TV in the great room, 40”+ flat screens in the three king bedrooms; outdoor shower with hot/cold to rinse off the sand.
Our home is new as of February 2016, and we want guests who will treat it with respect and fill it with laughter.