|Minimum Stay||3 - 4 nights|
When you book through the VRBO checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
This home is a beautiful historic house in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC. The house is located on the quiet and beautiful Swann Street, a 5 minute walk from Dupont Circle and close to many national monuments and great restaurants. Historic Georgetown is a scenic 15 minute walk away. This cozy house is ideal for both short visits to DC for parents visiting college students, weddings, or a trip to our Nation's Capital, as well as longer stays for family get-togethers like Thanksgiving.
The first floor of the house includes a living room (brand new couches), foyer leading to a dining room for 8, a half bathroom, and a fully stocked kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops that will make your stay feel like home. The second floor of the home consists of a generously sized master bedroom (brand new king size bed), two additional bedrooms, and a full bath. Further, the basement has a large additional family room and a laundry room with a full-size washer and dryer. The basement also includes an old bar from when the house was a former speakeasy where, according to the original owner, Louis Armstrong used to play! The house includes designated parking for two cars behind the house, a very valuable commodity in DC.
Swann Street is close to wonderful restaurants, the famous U Street Corridor, lovely art galleries, Meridian Park, a short walk to the the White House, the Smithsonian Museum and all the beautiful monuments of the National Mall.
This home benefits from easy access to both the red line at Dupont Circle Metro Station and the yellow/green line at U Street metro station. Both are a 5-minute walk away. Bus transportation is also available close by and it is always easy to get a cab. Ronald Reagan Airport is 15-20 minutes away.
Our Favorite Neighborhood Spots:
Lauriol Plaza (corner of Swann and 18th) - Mexican, great atmosphere & margaritas
Rosemary Thyme Bistro (corner of 18th and S Street) - Mediterranean, great service
Busboys and Poets (14th and V St.) – great breakfast
Ben’s Chili Bowl (1213 U St.) - local restaurant, chili and hamburgers
Dupont Market (1807 18th St.) - great for breakfast, coffee and sandwiches right around the corner on 18th St. (202-797-0222)
Sushi Taro (1503 17th between Church and P St.) – Japanese cuisine
Safeway is on 17th street, two blocks away.
CVS is on 17th and P St., one block further down than the Safeway. There is also another CVS on Dupont Circle.
Whole Foods is located on 16th and P St., a 5-minute walk away.
We are very international family that has lived in the Washington area for twenty years. At the moment we are living overseas so we have the opportunity to share our house.
Monica Maurer purchased this townhome in 2007
We moved to Dupont Circle because it is a charming, safe neighborhood. We love walking to many National Monuments, the White House and to so many ethnic restaurants. We love the feeling of this cosmopolitan, young and vibrant city. A wonderful city to explore!
There are no words to describe how easy it is to get places. Metro system and public transportation are walking distance.
This is an attractive, thoughtfully furnished and well-ordered house equipped with everything needed for a relaxing base in DC. Swann Street is quiet and leafy, ideally located for restaurants and a range of places of interest, including the Phillips Collection. A short walk takes you to Dupont Circle with its access to the Metro, shops and more restaurants. Thoroughly recommended and we look forward to booking the house again.
We really enjoyed the layout and setup of the house. It was comfortable and pretty. We loved the Latin style furniture. With the downstairs basement, we had four bedrooms, and mattresses for all the kids. We were a bit worried about sharing one shower, but it worked out totally well! All the rooms were very comfortable and user friendly with enough storage as well. It was very very warm in DC while we were there but the AC worked very well so we were comfortable in the house. Thanks!
We stayed here for a week recently. Generally, we found this house to be a good rental but some improvements are truly warranted.
First the positives:
- Brittany the property manager was very attentive and proactive to help us. The week we stayed in Washington was unseasonably hot and she let us know before our arrival that she had added two room air conditioning units to assist the overwhelmed central HVAC system. The house was quite hot when we arrived but within a few hours had cooled down considerably. The heat never became an issue after that during what likely was the hottest week of the year in DC.
- The check-in process was very easy.
-Plenty of room for the five of us. The third bedroom has a trundle bed with a rollout bed underneath. It was fine for two of our kids but adults wouldn't likely be happy with it.
- The kitchen seems newly modernized redecorated. The 1.5 bathrooms were like this as well. The supplied bath products in the shower were good quality - you can likely leave your own at home. Towels were plentiful and good quality. Hot water was plentiful even with five people showering.
- Having a dedicated parking space behind the house was great. There's really room for only one car.
- The neighborhood around Dupont Circle is very nice. The house is a 10-minute walk to the Red Line metro stop which is how we got around the city most of the time. The couple times we used Uber it didn't take long for a driver to arrive. We ate in a couple of neighborhood restaurants which were good. We especially liked Rosemary's Thyme Bistro on 18th.
Now the cons:
- First and most important is that there were several floorboards in the master bedroom which were dangerously loose. When I stepped on them they sank down several inches: were clearly not being supported from underneath. We placed a desk chair over that area of the floor to stop from stepping there. If adjacent floor boards also become loose then it would be a real hazard. This is something that needs to be repaired quickly.
- The door handle in the main bathroom repeatedly came off the door and needs to be replaced.
- Furniture in several rooms needs updating. The bed in the master bedroom is very soft and the box spring squeaks quite loudly with any movement. The couches in the living room have rips in the upholstery in several places and aren't very supportive.
Overall, I wouldn't call this 'luxury' but it was a good stay. Some repairs and updating would go a long way.
The location was fantastic! We were able to walk downtown, to the metro and to a ton of restaurants! The house is older and very charming, but we had a few issues with door knobs coming off and the A/C did not cool the house below 79 degrees. When these issues were flagged to the property manager, she was immediately responsive and helpful.
I would recommend the house unless you are going to stay in the heat of the summer as we did.
Our family of 4: husband, wife and 2 teens stayed very comfortably at this vrbo. It is very close to lots of restaurants: 17th St., 14th St, Dupont Circle and Lauriol Plaza on 18th St. was just around the corner and great Mexican food. The home was quite a ways from the mall, but was still a very reasonable walk for a vacation. The condition of the home could be improved upon as door knobs fell off, and the occasional floor boards could use some help, but its an older structure and if you like character this place has it. We loved staying in a Brownstone and the experience.
All in all it was fine, for a place to use as a launch pad for a Washington DC stay.
What a great location! Close enough to some great restaurants and shops, walking distance to two Metro stops and in a really nice, charming area. Lots of space and having a kitchen and laundry available is an added bonus. Bedrooms are large and spacious. Having one full bath was a bit of a challenge, but definitely manageable. Original wood floors a bit creaky and stairs somewhat steep, but nothing to be too concerned about. A good value for the location and amount of space.
Walking distance to the White House, National Mall, Smithsonian, National Zoo. Many wonderful restaurants and bars.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 15 2017 - Jan 26 2017
4 night minimum stay
Winter Super Special
Jan 30 2017 - Feb 28 2017
3 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
Renters will have to have Damage Protection to rent this property. Damage Protection could be done with a $1,500 refundable security deposit (Credit Card is the best option) or through and invitation to purchase a Property Insurance Protection for $59.00. If you choose the $59 option, please let me know so I can send you a request to purchase the insurance.
Renters and Owner Cancellation Policy: 60 day notice is required for cancellation. Cancellations made 60 days prior to the arrival date will be refunded excluding a cancellation fee of $200. Cancellations made within 60 days of the arrival date, forfeit the full advance payment.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.