Pualani Tropical Jungle Home in Gated Kapoho, Hot Tub, Snorkel, Bikes, Fun!
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
The Pualani Tropical Kapoho Beach home, located in the gated community of Kapoho Beach Lots, features open-beamed ceilings and panoramic tropical and some ocean views. The home is located across the street from Kapoho Bay and you can hear the waves roll across the reef...the most soothing beautiful sounds! A wrap around the house lanai enables you to enjoy the views from many angles. Come enjoy the solar energy home and the BRAND NEW HOT TUB (April 2014).There's a full kitchen, generous living and dining area opening onto the lanai, a queen-bed bedroom and bath. For extra guests, the second bedroom downstairs has two double beds. And for your evenings, there's a Satellite flat screenTV/DVD, an assortment of videos and CDs, and for those who would rather curl up with a book, there are lots to choose from. Outside in a gazebo near the house is a full-featured spa for your relaxation and enjoyment! The kitchen is fully equipped with a microwave, blender, coffee maker, range, fridge and all cooking and dining needs. This home is thoughtfully and tastefully appointed to make it feel like your very own home-in-Paradise. Ride bicycles (no extra fees for bikes like some rentals) to the nearby tidepools and lagoons for wonderful snorkeling and swimming. Hot tub, outdoor shower, and hi-speed internet!
Location: Located in a quiet, oceanfront, gated community with easy accessibility to Kapoho Bay and the ocean itself, there are several calm lagoons for swimming and snorkeling. Some of the lagoons are even heated by geothermal fresh-water springs! A guide map at the house will direct you to all the best spots. Champagne Pond is a 10-15 minute walk from the home or 5 minutes by bicycle, and this home is perfectly located to walk to the Wai'opae Marine Sanctuary for even more swimming and snorkeling experiences. Volcano National Park is about a 45 minute drive. The newly forming black sand beach in Kalapana is about a 20 minute drive down the 'Red Road,' Hiway 137. Lava has recently been flowing into the ocean here and you can hike to see it. 'Uncle Robert's' farmer's market is a wonderful way to spend a Wednesday evening. With wonderful Hawaiian musicians, local food vendors, arts & crafts, this event is better than a Luau. Put this on your 'to do' list!
This tropical hideaway is a perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of other tourist locations. The trade winds keep the home comfortable year round, and the sound of the ocean across the street with the waves rolling across the reef is very pleasing to the senses! You feel like you are in your own tropical tree house with panoramic ocean and tropical views. I have many happy guests, and some who love to return year after year!
Amenities:: Champagne pond is 10-15 minute walk, full feature Spa in gazebo in yard, Satellite Flat screen TV, completely furnished for your comfort! The Wai'opae Marine Sanctuary is about 5-10 minutes south of the property by foot or bicycle. Just 40 minutes to Volcano National Park, and 1/2 hour to view the volcano flow (Kalapana) in to the ocean! Be sure to check out the Makuu Farmer's Market on Sundays, and Hilo Farmer's Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Lava viewing boat tours, helicopter tours at Hilo airport, botanical gardens, zoo, great little restaurants in Pahoa - Ning's Thai Food, Kaleos, Luquin's Mexican Food, Boogie Woogie Pizza, Paoulo's Italian food, Pele's Kitchen, and more! We love 'The Ponds' in Hilo too!
Activities:: Hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, bike riding, volcano site-seeing, Olympic size swimming pool in Pahoa, several fine restaurants in Pahoa (8 mi.), hot ponds, lava viewing tours from Pohoiki, helicopter tours from Hilo airport, farmers markets in Makuu & Hilo, botanical gardens & more!
Area: Kapoho is a beautiful, peaceful and quiet place that is perfect for those who want no part of 'tourist Hawaii.' It is a small, friendly community that's also the sunniest spot on the Windward side of the Big Island. The nights bring a little rain, and the days are generally sunny and bright.
If you have already experienced 'tourist Hawaii' and are ready for something different, you will appreciate this. If you would like a taste of what it would be like to live among the folks who spend their lives here, work here, play here and raise their families here, you might find this interesting. If you're into hiking, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, exploring, or just being, you'll love it.
The lava is flowing in to the ocean about an hour drive from the home (August 2016). You can also view the lava from a boat tour, just 1/2 hour from the home. This is exciting!
If this home is not available for your dates, please check out my other vacation rental on this website, listing number 301938, the oceanfront Alohahouse! If you would rather be really close to the ocean, but don't care about swimming in it, you will find this place amazing...living on the edge of the Pacific Ocean! And another new amazing oceanfront home in Kapoho, listing number 312290.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Verify your payment method
Member since: 1999
- 1400 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Some things that I enjoy that are free:1) Ride my bike to the ocean access spots and go snorkeling. My favorite spot is the southernmost cove at Vacationland. 2) Go for a soak and swim in the rain at Champagne Pond. 3) Visit Hilo on Wed or Sat mornings to go to the farmer's market. It is wonderful! 4) Visit the Makuu Farmer's Market on Sundays - local food, music, crafts, etc.5) Swim in the Pahoa Olympic Size Pool - open daily from 9-5 and weekends 9-4 and it's free!! 6) Visit the Pana'Ewa Rain Forest Zoo just south of Hilo. 7) Go for a swim/soak at the Ahalanui Hot Pond 8) Hike to the new black sand beach in Kalapana where the road ends (and have an ice cream - lunch at the restaurant here is very good too!!) 9) Hike to Green Lake (lots of places to hike on the island!) 10) Go to Kalapana end of the road to Uncle Robert's Awa Bar for local food and entertainment every Wednesday evening! ...moreless
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Botanical Garden
- Nude Beach
- Rain Forests
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Beach View:
- Near The Ocean:
- Ocean View:
- Water View
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Surf Fishing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Alarm Clock
- Broadband Access
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer
- Free Local Calls
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Paper Towels
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Beach Towels
- Deck / Patio:
- Gated Community
- Lanai / Gazebo:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Lava Flow Special!
Sep 20 - Dec 16, 2016
2 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $15 per night, per additional guest
Dec 18 - Jan 15, 2017
2 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $15 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $300
- Cleaning $120 + tax
- Tax Rate 13.42%
Hawaii Tax ID #W51759221-01
Please note we have another property - 304974.
Cancellation Policy: Please Read Our Policy Carefully...
• If you cancel more than 60 days ahead, we will refund your deposit less 20% handling fee. If you change your reservation at any time, there will a $50 bookkeeping fee incurred.
• If you cancel within 60 days of arrival, we will refund your balance only if the unit can be re-booked less 20% handling fee.
• We encourage you to purchase trip insurance as unforeseen events beyond your or our control can affect travel plans prior to or after your arrival. We will always try to reschedule a booking whenever possible.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
The Pualani Tropical Dream House is located in Kapoho Beach Lots on the Southeastern tip of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is 40 minutes south of the Hilo airport. Kapoho is a beautiful place—a peaceful and quiet place that’s perfect for those who want no part of “tourist Hawaii.” We try our best to make it very clear that there are few tourist accommodations near here. We have many beautiful swimming spots on or near the ocean, a couple of sandy beaches near Hilo and a beautiful scenic drive to the other side of the island will let you discover even more of the lovely beaches on our island. We chose Pualani in Kapoho as our vacation home for the very reason that there is very little tourist traffic here and that this is one of the last places on the islands that is still considered “real Hawaii.” If you have already experienced “tourist Hawaii” and are ready for something different, you might like this. A short drive to Pohoiki surf spot, Ahalanui Hot Pond, Champagne Pond & Volcano!
Other Activities: Swim with the turtles in geothermally heated lagoons and snorkel in the Kapoho tide pools!
Golf: Golf course in Hilo and Volcano!
Some things that I enjoy that are free:
1) Ride my bike to the ocean access spots and go snorkeling. My favorite spot is the southernmost cove at Vacationland.
2) Go for a soak and swim in the rain at Champagne Pond.
3) Visit Hilo on Wed or Sat mornings to go to the farmer's market. It is wonderful!
4) Visit the Makuu Farmer's Market on Sundays - local food, music, crafts, etc.
5) Swim in the Pahoa Olympic Size Pool - open daily from 8:30-5 and weekends 9-4 and it's free!!
6) Visit the Pana'Ewa Rain Forest Zoo just south of Hilo.
7) Go for a swim/soak at the Ahalanui Hot Pond
8) Hike to the new black sand beach in Kalapana where the road ends (and have an ice cream - lunch at the restaurant here is very good too!!)
9) Hike to Green Lake (lots of places to hike on the island!)
Some things that I enjoy that are not free
1) Go to Volcano National Park
2) Visit the Botanical Gardens north of Hilo
3) Have lunch or dinner at Cafe Pesto
4) My very favorite restaurant is Kaleo's in Pahoa. 'Ono' food, and live entertainment on Thursdays and Sunday evenings. Best to make reservations. A little pricey.
5) Stop for take out fish & chips at the fish market in Pahoa at the Malama Market Shopping Center and bring it back to the house to eat and watch the ocean.
6) I love Lemongrass in Keaau for a plate lunch to take back to the house too!
7) The Thai food restaurants in Pahoa are very good if you like Thai
8) Luquin's for Mexican food and a margarita (Pahoa)
9) Paolo's is excellent Italian food (Pahoa)
10) The Hilo Bay Cafe in the Walmart Shopping Center is very good and healthy
11) The Ponds restaurant in Hilo
12) Ken's Pancackes Hilo
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: We live in California, but love Hawaii! We have been visiting the Big Island since 1976. We loved Harry K. Brown Beach Park in Kalapana before the lava flow took the beach away and formed new land. Kapoho, on the eastern tip, of the island is our favorite spot because we love to swim and snorkel in the warm lagoons and tidepools. This is heaven on earth to us.
Why the Owner Chose Kapoho, Puna District, HI, USA:
We fell in love with this home because of its open air feeling, high ceilings with LOTS of windows, the lush environment, sounds of the ocean waves breaking across the Kapoho reef, and its great location. It is in the gated community with access to Champagne Pond and the other fabulous spots in the area, but also just a short walk or bike ride to the Wai'Opae Marine Sanctuary. We found the best of both worlds!
The Unique Benefits at this House:
This home is a real tropical retreat away from the tourist crowds. We can really relax here and love swimming and snorkeling the the warm tidepools. We love riding our bicycles to the Wai'Opae Marine Sanctuary and Champagne Pond. A morning dip is always fun and then we come back to our tropical tree house for coffee and breakfast.
- Primary: +1 8052344166
- Secondary: +1 (805) 225-1552
Links to more information:
Lush, beautiful Pualani viewed through the palm trees!
Aerial view of Kapoho Bay. Pualani in lower left of photo
Brand new sparkling clean spa - a great way to start and end the day!
Living room of Pualani with vaulted ceilings and a very airy fee!
Pualani Kitchen-efficient and airy!
Upstairs bathroom with walk-in shower
Beautiful Pualani in gated community Kapoho Beach Lots-lush and beautiful
Pualani Tropical Dream House in gated Kapoho Beach Lots
Downstairs bathroom - tropical, shower & tub
A view of the Kapoho Bay!
A favorite ocean access - this beautiful photo taken as a storm was passing by!
Fantastic snorkeling in Kapoho!
Exterior view of Pualani with wrap around deck-sun or shade anytime!!
Living room with bamboo furniture
Efficient and bright kitchen at the Pualani vacation rental!
Queen size master bedroom - a lovely place to sleep with lots of fresh air!!
The fun room! Four bikes to check out the beautiful Kapoho neighborhood!
Tropical themes prevail in the 'fun room!'
Downstairs bedroom with two full beds and door to rec room, bikes, hot tub!
The "rec" room at Pualani - lots of air, bikes are here and steps to the hot tub
Plumeria in the yard - Pualani means 'Heavenly flower'
Champagne Pond, Kapoho Beach Lots, Hawaii
Pualani is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the warm waters of Kapoho.
This listing was first published here in 2002.
Date last modified - Saturday, December 03, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM