TOP 8 REASONS why the RIVER PLANTATION PLACE (RPP) is YOUR perfect getaway:
1. The house fronts historic South Newport River. It overlooks a vibrant tidal marsh out towards St. Catherines & Blackbeard Islands...your gateway to Sapelo Sound & the Atlantic!
2. Three great naturalists were captivated by the locale: Audubon painted Savannah Sparrows; John Muir wrote about Hollywood South's unique seascape; & William Bartram hiked nearby Old Coastal Hwy. 17
3. All within reach, tons of attractions from Hilton Head to Harris Neck, or even Charleston to Cumberland Island await you! 'Forrest Gump' shrimp boats in Darien & fishing villages interlacing the coast can take you back in time
4. You can bike the 'Coastal Rail Trail', crossing 43 picturesque rivers & creeks dotted by historical markers
5. Shellman Bluff (old oystering community) is Home of the Sapelo Saltwater Fishing Club & 'Speed's Kitchen': where people take their time...& the fried fish & crab-stuffed flounder are out of this world!
6. Featured by Road Trip USA, the 'Smallest Church in America' marks the entrance to the Yellow Bluff Plantation where the house is located
7. Nearby is Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge--'one of the single best sites in the South for birdwatching'
8. Only the RPP owns 'The Book' or Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil bestseller autographed by author John Berendt & the model for 'Bird Girl' herself, Lorraine Greenman Ganz!
No need to be Sherlock Holmes to see this dream come true! In 2004, a husband-&-wife business owners built a 'dream vacation house', paying attention to the craftsmanship...traces of which can be felt as you step on the breathtaking wood floors, dine at the ornate kitchen, or sip coffee on the veranda of the RPP. The couple chose a site on an 18-acre oxbow hammock brimming with live oaks & pines, one amongst 1,600 back-island jewels .
In 2013, Ken, the new owner, urgently flew from Minne'snow'ta to Savannah's Candler to help take care of a sister who got sick. The life-changing event rearranged his priorities & clarified his values! One day, he looked for a property close to Savannah that could become a haven for his family & friends. He chanced upon the River Plantation Place standing on its 14-foot solid stilts overlooking South Newport River (no factories up & downriver equals edible seafood & abundant wildlife). Ken knew right there & then that: THAT was a DREAM coming true as the orange sun over the brackish marsh warmed his face! Filled with visions of hope for his beloved sister Vicky, the VRBO concept of RPP was born! Up to this very day the dream is realized each time laughter echoes in RPP's walls.
In 2014, the RPP founded 'Adopt JILL' (Jintotolo Island Lighthouse Locale). One percent of income is pledged towards the preservation of the Philippine beacon & coral reefs. In 2015, the RPP became a patron of nearby Altamaha Riverkeeper.--In light of the original & new owners' love of entertaining family & friends, the RPP hopes YOU will be enriched by your stay as you explore Georgia's coastal paradise. Come & rediscover your priorities!
~ 3 full-service marinas nearby
~ Public boat ramp a golf-cart ride away
~ dock with fish cleaning area & grill
~ LOWCOUNTRY BOIL gear & a fully-equipped kitchen stocked up with spices (Try Ms. Chris' Free LCB Recipe); Fish fryer available
~ DirecTV, DVD, & guitar for fun
~ Washer & dryer room has a freezer to put fish in if you catch TOO much!
Paddle the 2 KAYAKS. Soak up the vista of this pristine tidal river which meanders through a broad expanse of marsh: a view dubbed by experts as “one of the most important tidal estuarine environments in the world.” With 2 light mountain bikes, pedal with your friend the scenic 'Coastal Rail Trail' of McIntosh County. This county was labelled 'the Hidden Jewel of the Golden Isles'--Play golf at Sapelo Hammock 18-hole Golf Club -an acclaimed course hosting many tournaments ('Top 100 New Courses by Golf Digest). We'll be glad to set up your tee time!
TOP 5 RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Bird-watch for endangered Wood Stork, Roseate Spoonbill, & Painted Bunting by the RPP dock
2. Bike Harris Neck Nat'l Wildlife Refuge & look for the above 3 birds HNNWR's known for!
3. Crab-trap by the RPP dock for savory Blue Crabs while fishing for Spotted Seatrout
4. Picnic at the Nanny Goat Beach (one of 'Top 10 Georgia Beaches') after climbing the 77 steps of the nation's second-oldest brick lighthouse (Sapelo Island Lighthouse)
5. Dine & wine at Hunters Cafe as you take in the alluring view of the Broro & Julienton Rivers!
-Enjoy the 'River Plantation Place'...with the South Newport River at your front door!