About the property
- Cottage5000 sqft
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay7 nights
5 Bedroom, 4.5 Bath, 4 Fireplaces 300 Feet Of Lakefront For A Vacation Dream
A heavily wooded, secluded driveway leads you a short distance to a newly renovated 5000 sq ft private lake home that promises a vacation experience that will last a lifetime. This beautiful, 5 bedroom, 4.5 bath log-style home sleeps up to 10 people. Inside, find something special around every corner…from the old saloon-style pub with cozy stone fireplace to the dramatic great room for comfy gatherings in front of a roaring fire. Step outside and find yourself in a setting that is nothing short of tranquil and charming. A wood plank bridge leads you over a babbling stream that meanders across the property. Continue your stroll down the walkway to the 300 ft of private lakefront where you can relax under the gazebo, fish off the dock or wade into the sandy-bottom, slow sloping…crystal clear waters of Duck Lake. Wake up early, sip your coffee on the porch and you may catch a glimpse of a deer drinking from the stream or of the many ducks, wild turkeys and other critters that visit the property. During the day, spend your time on the lake…swimming, paddle boarding, canoeing, fishing, or simply sitting back and lounging in a beach chair. At sunset, bring your drinks and appetizers down to the lakefront and watch the jaw-dropping sunset, or stay out even later and try to count the shooting stars and constellations.
As far as luxuries and amenities, there are simply too many to describe in their entirety but here are some that are worth pointing out:
• Duck Lake is a 2000 acre, all sports lake located next to the world famous Interlochen Center for the Arts, and just 15 minutes from downtown Traverse City, 25 minutes from Crystal Mountain Ski and Golf Resort, and just 20 miles from the world famous Sleeping Bear Dunes.
• Other local excursions include winery tours (over 25 dot the area), golf courses for every level of play, and river tubing, canoeing, hiking, ATV and biking trails.
The Lake house
• There are 4 fireplaces including massive stone versions on the patio and great room as well as one in the pub and master suite. A lakefront fire-ring is also available for campfires by the water. All firewood is supplied.
• 5 bedrooms include: 2 king bed master suites (one with fireplace), 1 queen bedroom with deep Japanese soaking tub, 1 multi-bed room with one queen and two single beds, and 1 cozy queen bedroom on the main floor.
• The pub contains one queen pull-down murphy-bed and half-bath.
• Bedrooms facing the lake each have large, private walk-out balconies to sit and read a book or listen to the soothing stream.
• A serene yoga platform is located next to the stream for those wishing to shed their stress.
• A highly efficient geothermal system heats and cools the entire house to your perfect temperature.
• Four flat screen TVs including a 70 inch in the great room for family movies and another in the pub for sports!
• A state of the art Sonos sound system is installed for easy linking to your mobile devices and laptops so you can listen to your own music anywhere in the house.
• Powerful wifi available throughout the house and patio areas.
• Fully equipped kitchen, double oven and various modern appliances.
• Plenty of fun for the kids including exploring the woods, swimming and fishing in the lake, jumping off the water trampoline, or even hold a rubber duck race down the stream (rubber ducks provided along with art supplies so everyone can design their own racing duck!).
• Inside, find all kinds of table games, English dartboard, and an old pachinko style pinball machine.
• The walk-out saloon style pub has a wet bar, mini-fridge, and everything else you need for a perfect evening of “bellying up to the bar” and sharing stories, playing cards, or catching the big game on TV.
• A horseshoe pit is just outside the pub door.
• Dining areas include a harvest table that seats 8 and the screened-in porch with additional seating for 8 more. A breakfast bar in the kitchen accommodates 3.
• A catwalk overlooks the great room with an office (including computer and printer) and sitting area.
• A large Weber Gemini gas BBQ is available.
• Spend time on the lake…canoe, kayak, stand-up paddle board and fishing/row-boat…all available for guests to enjoy.
• The large screened-in porch provides a tranquil setting for outdoor meals or just sitting back and relaxing.
• The gentle sloping sand bottom provides the perfect swimming area for children.
• Feel free to bring your own boat (public launch on the lake)…there’s plenty of room to tie it to the dock.
For those wishing to rent a motorized fishing boat, ski boat, pontoon or jet skis, American Boat Rentals (231-645-1191) is 5 minutes away in Interlochen and will deliver to Duck Lake.
• Main level laundry room with large capacity washer/dryer.
• A mid-stay cleaning service is available upon request
• Dogs will be considered
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few days
- Calendar last updated:
- Nov 24, 2017
About Robert Mead
I'm from the Midwest and Kate is from Canada. We first started visiting Traverse City because it was a good mid-point for our families to get together. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to make it our second home.
Robert Mead purchased this Cottage in 2011
Why Robert Mead chose Green Lake
For us, growing up and spending our summers with family and friends at a 'lake house' created lifelong memories. When it came time to decide where to build our own dream 'lake house' we knew we wanted to be in the Traverse City area. No place else combines the variety of activities and culture with the beauty and peacefulness of the Northwoods. So, from the moment we stepped foot on our Duck Lake property we knew we had found the perfect place for family and friends to create everlasting memories.
What makes this Cottage unique
We completely rebuilt and expanded the home in 2012. We took meticulous care in maintaining the original rustic look by creating an authentic barn-wood interior from local barns. We then added many contemporary touches for comfort. There are some special amenities and surprises that will really make your stay extra memorable. The Rubber Duck race is always a hit: Have everyone decorate their own rubber duck and the race them down the stream that crosses the property (we supply the ducks for you). Or, build a large crackling fire in the outdoor fireplace and crash on the patio furniture…we've even had some guests decide to just spend the entire night out there under the stars…'too comfortable to get up.' Duck Lake is the perfect size…not too large not too small. Boat traffic is light and fishing is great. In fact…some of the best fishing in the entire lake is RIGHT OFF OUR DOCK!!
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
We had such a great time here. The house was very clean, spacious, and a place our family will never forget. Bobbi (property manager) was great showing us around, and making sure we knew the "lay of the land". We cant wait to book for next year!!!
Exceeded all expectations
Not sure we can add much that's unique from the reviews below. Perhaps a full throated "Hear! Hear!"
We rented for a week in early August, 2016. My wife and I, our four grown children and their significant others. We rented largely because of the capacity but also due to the many, many attributes. We were all anxious to see if the reality lived up to our anticipation.
Everyone raved about the lodge and the property itself. Only one couple strayed up to Traverse for a few hours but otherwise all were more than happy to relax and enjoy the amenities provided and the surroundings on view.
We have never stayed in a property that was so comprehensively outfitted. The kitchen was a wonder. Every time we thought "I wish I had a ..." we had only to look a bit further and presto.
The owners' welcome letter and instructions were spot on in every regard. I cannot overstate what a pleasant surprise it is to arrive and find that each and every aspect at least meets, but more often exceeds one's expectations.
This was simply the best vacation rental we have ever engaged.
Thank you for the kind words. We are very lucky to have such wonderful guests like you and your family Richard. Duck Lake Lodge is a very special place to us and we are so happy that you and all of our guests appreciate it as much we do. We certainly welcome you back any time!!
We rented this property for one week in July 2016, for a family get together. There were 6 adults and 4 children ages 17, 13, 9, 7.
This gorgeous and very well maintained home on a very large wooded lot has everything we needed for a truly memorable vacation. It is in wonderful condition and is beautifully furnished. The kitchen includes every appliance we needed for our stay.
Much of our time was spent on the lake which is quite large. An array of boats provided much fun for children and adults. We rented a power boat which provided water skiing, knee boarding, and tubing for everyone. Smores on the beach at sunset were a big hit.
The lot is beautiful and provided a wonderful setting for a professional photographer to shoot hundreds of family photos. She remarked that this property is one of the nicest she has seen in that part of northern Michigan.
Recommendations made by the owner regarding shopping, restaurants, things to see and do were perfect. The whole area has a lot to offer.
Our children and grandchildren are already asking for a return visit and told us that this was one of the best vacations they ever experienced. We will definitely rent this property again.
Perfect Vacation Rental
Duck Lake Lodge is the perfect rental if you are looking for the delicate balance between luxury and rustic. My wife and I rented this lodge for a small family reunion and it did not disappoint. The rooms are spacious and separated so the house never had that "cramped" feeling, even when the family was all together. The kitchen was well stocked with everything you would need to cook or grill. And even the small things like beach towels, laundry detergent, and extra blankets were all provided.
There are tons of activities just a short drive away (cherry picking, Dunes, wine tasting, flower picking, and all Traverse City has to offer.) Must stops include Grand Traverse Pie company and Moomers Ice Cream. For those looking to spend a little more on dinner and consider themselves foodies, The Cook's House and Trattoria Stella were amazing. Also a ton to do at the house with the boats and kayaks, swimming in the lake, or fishing off the dock.
Evenings at Duck Lake Lodge were filled with amazing fireplaces, including our favorite spot to hang out, the outdoor lounging area. (S'mores were a family favorite) We ate every meal out on the screened in porch where we could hear the babbling brook and take in the sunset with a local bottle of wine. Simply amazing.
I would highly recommend this property for anyone looking to stay in the Traverse City area. We had the best time and will certainly be back soon.
Perfect for Families
Duck Lake Lodge is a truly beautiful vacation home to really relax and enjoy family. The home decor is absolutely gorgeous, top notch amenities, inside and outdoors. The home is laid out so well with open floor plan and yet
there are plenty of quiet spots to go to for relaxing and be peaceful. Our family thoroughly enjoyed the screened in porch for eating and playing cards, the pub was a favorite every night spot to have drinks, laughs and games. The outdoor fireplace and sitting area is so comfortable, another every night spot to enjoy conversation. The lake and boats were enjoyed every afternoon, the lake is calm for swimming and using standing paddleboat (which my 5 year old grandchild was able to navigate quite well by herself for the first time),canoe,rowboat,trampoline and kayak all used by everyone. There were plenty of outdoor chairs, life jackets, sand toys,outdoor shower, all conveniently located at gazebo. The kids had a ball having duck races everyday. There was so much to enjoy we hardly had TV on. The rooms were well equipped with bedding, towels, and plenty of beach towels. The kitchen also very well supplied with everything you would need for cooking and grilling, we never ate out because we enjoyed cooking and dining at the house so much. We visited wineries,Traverse City, and the Sand Dunes, all great places to go for fun, and there is more to do, but we ran out of time. We definitely will come back again. This is a one of a kind vacation home that you will love.
AMAZING PLACE, perfect decor, and location
My husband and I rented this place mid-September for our one year anniversary, which was the perfect the time of year to be in northern Michigan. The house was so much more than we needed. The decor is truly amazing - so neat, creative, and rustic. The house is so clean and is completely equipped with anything you might think you need from outdoor activities to cooking to bedding. The house is beautifully located on Duck Lake with an outdoor gazebo, dock, fire pit, grill.
It is close to Traverse City but so many cute little towns near-by. We did a ton of hiking, apple picking/pumpkin picking, and shopping. I would strongly recommend this house to anyone for a romantic get-away to having a group of friends or family get-away.
The perfect location for a lake house vacation in Michigan. Over 40 golf courses all within a short drive including top-ranked Arcadia Bluffs, The Bear, Crystal Mountain and others. Further, first-class Crystal Mountain is only 25 minutes away and offers family fun like a mountain-side alpine slide, paint ball, spa, gym, climbing wall, indoor and outdoor pools, etc. The world-famous Sleeping Bear Dunes are 30 minutes west for a day of hiking and picnicking. Venture out wine-tasting at any of the 25+ charming wineries in the area. Downtown Traverse City is 6 miles north and offers everything from 4 star restaurants, top shopping, and vintage antiquing to theaters and weekly festivals. Visit charming Fishtown for shopping and charter-fishing on Lake Michigan. Tube or canoe several rivers in the area including the Manistee (we can provide locations for tube, canoe and kayak rental and launch points). Catch a weekend concert at the Interlochen outdoor stage (previous shows like Harry Connick, Steely Dan, ZZ Top, Styx, Sheryl Crowe, Melissa Etheridge, Steely Dan, Trace Adkins, etc). Three top-notch casinos are from 20 to 30 minutes away. The all new Incredible Mo's is 4 miles away and provides indoor fun for kids like bowling, laser tag, laser maze, bocce ball, and tons of video games. Even take in a family-friendly Traverse City Beach Bum's minor league baseball game. For those wishing to rent a motorized fishing boat, ski boat, pontoon or jet skis, American Boat Rentals (231-645-1191) is 5 minutes away in Interlochen and will deliver to Duck Lake.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Rates are subject to change until deposit is received and accepted. Mid-stay cleaning available upon request ($150)…general clean-up, vacuum floors, house linens/towels laundered.