About the property
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay1 - 2 nights
Lodge, 7 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms On 5 Acre Homestead With Private Pond, Sleeps 15
Summer or winter, this rustic retreat is perfect for some Montana mountain play time. It's one you'll fall in love with and won't want to leave!
Grandpa's Cabin is one of two original family homesteads we offer in this very special location, easily one of the most unique in the U.S. Its five acres are situated on a family homestead and the property is bordered by Duck Creek pond, which offer some of the best blue ribbon trout fishing in the West.
The property is less than 1/8 mile from Yellowstone National Park on its west side, and offers easy access across the street to backcountry trails in both Yellowstone Park and Gallatin National Forest.
This home offers breathtaking views of nature at its finest, and with huge picture windows offering views across Duck Creek pond to the western mountains of Yellowstone National Park.
Wildlife Viewing: Duck Creek Retreat and the immediate surrounding area is rich in wildlife, including bison, elk, deer, moose, grizzly bear, black bear, otter, beaver, muskrat, Canadian geese, ducks, Trumpeter swan and Sandhill cranes.
Fishing: World class fishing is available on private Duck Creek and Duck Creek Pond. A professionally installed fish ladder permits runs of wild Brown and Rainbow trout from the Madison River and nearby Hebgen Lake. Native Brook trout also inhabit the pond and Brown trout up to 32 inches have been caught and released. A Montana fishing license is not required to fish on the Pond, but it is on other Montana waters. A Yellowstone Park license is required to fish inside the Park.
The west entrance to Yellowstone Park and the town of West Yellowstone are only a short 8.5 mile (14km) drive away, W. Yellowstone offers everything you'd hope to find in a destination resort town, from restaurants, live theater, museums and shopping to equipment rentals and guide services.
We can offer recommendations on a variety of local guides and outfitters - call us to find out more!
West Yellowstone Vacation Rentals
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one day
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 22, 2018
About West Yellowstone Vacation Rentals
This privately owned home is managed by West Yellowstone Vacation Rentals where we specialize in providing you with your home away from home! Vacation rental homes, cabins, and condominiums to suit any group or budget, only minutes from the entrance to Yellowstone Park… We have the place! In business since 2007, we pride ourselves in working with our homeowners to offer unique, clean, well maintained properties that offer our guests a great value while experiencing Montana living. We are uniquely situated in an area that offers the most central access to all that Yellowstone National Park and the incredibly beautiful surrounding National Forests have to offer. We have just the place for you, whether it be for a once in a lifetime adventure or a return visit to this truly amazing area. Please have a look at this and our other VRBO and HomeAway listings, and call or email us for more information. Happy Trails! David, Marta, & the WYVR Crew Montana licensed property manager
What makes this Lodge unique
A rustic retreat like no other! Located on a 5 acre portion of an original family homestead that abuts Yellowstone Park - A one of a kind! Several generations of the family have grown up spending time here enjoying everything that makes living in the mountain west so amazing!
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Grandpa's cabin is very large! We had a great time lounging in the living rooms and enjoying a fire next to the river. Our last morning we spotted some river otters with a fish! The cabin is close enough to town that you can go in for a god ski and some food. Great location.
It was ok!
Need some updates. No access to the garage. We had motorcycles would have been nice to park them in the garage
Clean, well kept, with plenty of space! Our family had an excellent experience at Grandpa's Cabin.
The property was everything we could have hoped for - we were not disappointed in any way!
From the moment we walked in until the moment we left our experience was totally beautiful and heart warming. They even had an injured moose decided to lay down across the water and sleep for two days. What an experience! We tried to reach the authorities to have someone come and help him out, but we were unsuccessful and he finally left on his own steam! Our grandchildren caught some unbelievably huge fish! Like nothing they have ever caught here! They threw them all back though. The only thing they were disappointed with was the boat - I guess it had something wrong with it and was not safe to use. I would highly recommend this property to anyone. We couldn't have been happier !
Very Relaxing and Great Location
Our group had a great time at Grandpa's Cabin. The cabin is older but everything was in working order and clean upon arrival with plenty of space to spread out. It's proximity to Yellowstone National Park and the town of West Yellowstone is hard to beat. We enjoyed roasting marshmallows over the fire pit, viewing the night sky, canoeing, and top notch trout fishing on the pond. I hope to return one day.
Perfect location, great view - but needs some TLC.
This home was the perfect location and accomodations for our large group. We thoroughly enjoyed our stayed. But there are a few things that should be addressed.
5 Stars for location, size and view. 2 stars for condition and ammenities.
1. Beds. the twn beds mattress and frame need to be replaced. I suggest putting a bunk bed and a dresser in that room. All bed frames need adjusting. They sqeeked and moved a lot.
2. All pillows need to be replaced.
3. The home needs to be sprayed for bugs. Lots of spiders and bed bugs in the back rooms.
4. There should be a dresser in every bedroom. Living out of your luggage for a week was very inconvenient. Only one room had a dresser. Provide more hangers.
5. Every bedroom needs a large fan. Limited air flow even with the windows opened. The main room became very hot during the day.
6. Outside. The private wood dock is in poor repair. The wood was not secured and a few of us fell into the lake when the wood slipped from under our feet. Very dangerous. Also, the shrubs are extremely overgrown, so getting to the dock is treachurous because of the overgrowth. The shrubs really need to be cut back around the dock to allow for a safe walk to the dock.
7. Upstairs bedrooms. I strongly suggest that you close off the upper open triangular celing area of that back room. The noise and light from the sun render this back bedroom very uncomfortable and noisy. Those that stayed in that upper room did not sleep well due to the noise from the open ceiling. The morning sun brought in too much light and heat. I suggest you add another large fan for that bedroom. I also suggest replacing the one bed with two sets of bunk beds for that room - plus a dresser or two (so much waisted space for only one bed). The front bedroom of the loft would be better served as a reading or relaxing area since it is too noisy (open loft), too hot and light from the morning sun and no privacy. In additon - I strongly advise that no furniture should be placed along the upstairs loft railing in case a child were to climb up on top of the furniture and fall over the railing.
8. Internet/WiFI/TV - The router really needs to be upgraded. Wifi only worked on one side of the house and was still very week. TV was too small. Two TV's ?
9. Upstairs bathroom should have a shower.
10. The main pic showing the firepit area overlooking the lake should be updated as there is now a log fence obstructing that view, so it is not as open as this pic shows.
Thank you for the review - the owner is working to upgrade and fix things every spring and fall as they can afford, and many of these things are on the agenda. Regarding #3, it is an older cabin and isn't perfectly sealed against small insects, etc. Most houses in our area aren't. Please note that these are not actual bed bugs, only "bugs in the bedroom." Big difference. Our cleaners do an excellent job and the home is very clean, but there are occasional intruders. Thanks for the input, and so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay!
The home is only 8 miles from the resort town of West Yellowstone, MT, the road entrance to Yellowstone National Park that offers the easiest access to everything the Park has to offer. Five miles away is the West Yellowstone airport (KWYS), which has a FBO for any size corporate jet and is serviced by SkyWest/Delta Connection. Only 8.5 miles away is the resort town of West Yellowstone, MT, the most centrally located entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Other Activities: Golfing and downhill skiing at Big Sky Ski and Summer Resort is 35 miles north from Duck Creek Retreat, Golfing in Island Park, ID is only 35 miles south, and some of the best groomed Nordic ski trails in the world are only 9 miles away on the Rendezvous trails in West Yellowstone. Groomed snowmobile trail access is within a 1/2 mile of the home, beautiful Hebgen Lake is only a few short miles away... It's in an adventurer's wonderland!
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
No smoking, no pets. Check-in 4:00 PM, Check-out 10:00 AM. Please download and read the Rental Agreement for our refund/cancellation policy and other details, or contact us for for a copy, or see a synopsis of the agreement here: www.westyellowstonerentals.com/reservations If you wish to avoid purchasing damage protection, you may make your payment through our company. We will hold your credit card number on file as a security deposit, but we will not charge the card until we have contacted you. We have other VRBO and HomeAway listings - Call or email and we'll get you what you need!