|Space||4,100 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||3 - 7 nights|
Part of a former tobacco farm (with oldest tobacco barns in St. Mary's County) located directly on the beautiful Patuxent River. The river is about 2 miles wide in front of house and has very little boat traffic. Crabbing and fishing directly off private dock. Electric boat lift available. Private beach is ideal for tanning, swimming or kayaking. Property is private, well landscaped and level so it's ideal for volleyball or other yard activities. Includes a large swing set.
New, large in-ground pool (17' x 40') with automatic pool cover along with charming adjoining pool house/barn with overhand for shade. Pool includes a tanning area, 4' deep at shallow end extending to about 8' deep. Very private and overlooks river with 180 degree views.
Very unique antique timberframe home with 5 large bedrooms and 3 1/2 large bathrooms:
- 1 bedroom on ground level
- 4 bedrooms on second level along with an alcove room
- 3 1/2 large bathrooms; 1 bathroom and powder room on ground level and 2 on second level
- huge (12' x 30') water-facing dining room with fireplace (including antique farm table that sits over 20 people),
- large (24' x 24') water-facing living room with beamed ceiling and fireplace,
- large (12' x 30') water-facing kitchen with new stainless steel appliances, bar seating, huge farm sink,
- small office overlooking pool/water,
- laundry room with new large-capacity washer, dryer, sink
- huge (12' x 55') water-facing screened porch with screened gazebo
- covered porch on farm side
- front entrance with charming pergola
- basement with small bathroom
- On ground level and separated from living room area, a large (15' x 20') water-facing bedroom with queen bed and office area and large (8' x 15') tiled bathroom with large roll-in shower.
- On second level separated from other areas, are two charming large bedrooms with cathedral ceilings; a master bedroom (12' x 22') facing water and pool with queen bed, walk-out balcony and bedroom (11' x 22') with queen bed and a built-in single bed facing farm, pool and water including large bank of windows for air, light, and views. Huge connecting tiled bathroom with 2 sinks, 6' walk-in shower, toilet room, and soaking tub surrounded by windows overlooking pool and water.
- Separate from other bedrooms are two additional upstairs bedrooms facing the water; each with cathedral ceilings and queen beds along with a hallway built-in single bed. These rooms are connected with a large tiled bathroom with double sinks, shower, and large soaking tub.
Floor Plan and Other Features
Floor plan is very open. Kitchen is situated between living room and dining room. Screened porch connects to all main living areas including dining room, kitchen and living room.
Most areas of house have overhang porches and a cross ventilation layout which takes advantage of the Patuxent River breezes. Every room has a ceiling fan (along with 3 zone central air conditioning).
House has a lot of character with antique timber frame construction throughout, old pine floors, fireplaces, large windows, and wood molding.
Caroline and Robert (Bob) Ferber live in Baltimore, MD and have 4 children. Bob grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, while Caroline grew up in Paris, France. Bob and Caroline purchased the house from his family in 2008 and constructed a large addition using timbers from a tobacco warehouse from Lexington, Kentucky.
Caroline Ferber purchased this house in 2008
The farm has been in Bob's family for many generations. They used the property as a getaway for many years, enjoyed its privacy and found it to be a perfect escape to crab, fish, swim, kayak, and boat. During the off-season it's nice for spending Thanksgiving with a large number of family or as a getaway during the winter where you can watch the geese and ducks on both the farm and water sides of the house.
This house provides the unusual mix of living on a farm without having to get up early and do chores. Inside it's bright with water views from every room and the old pine beams provide a warmth that is hard to find in any other home. We find much of the time is spent on the screen porch either sitting with friends and family or eating crabs and fresh Amish corn on the porch table. The pool is another treat as it's so refreshing and provides 180 degree views of the river right out front.
I rented this property for a reunion gathering of 6 college roommates. It was the ideal property. The bedrooms were perfect as everyone had their own space. There were lovely water views from many of the rooms. I loved the décor throughout the house. We enjoyed breakfast and morning coffee on the front porch. The kitchen and dining room were wonderful for cooking and eating in. We socialized in the large open living room, which had a working fireplace. I was the perfect gathering place.
There were fun things to do in the general area. We visited Solomons Island and the Sotterley Plantation. We would definitely return. The owner's were responsive and incredibly nice to work with. I would recommend this house to all my friends.
This was the perfect location for our family Christmas get-away! We had enough room for everyone to eat dinner together at the dining room table; the kitchen was large enough that we weren't running into each other while we did our Christmas baking; and the living room is large but cozy. We hung out by the fire and opened gifts by our live, Christmas tree, which the Owners let us bring into their home. It was such a wonderful place to celebrate with my family!
And as much as we all loved the house, I cannot say enough good thing about the Owners. Caroline was so sweet and so easy to work with. We will definitely be returning and will recommend this house to all of our friends.
We visited this property with two other families. Our 6 adult and 6 children party had plenty of space to stretch out and enjoy the weekend. The whole property is immaculately maintained, and we marveled at the character in every room. The downstairs was open, but also allowed for children playing in one room, while adults socialized in the dining room or out on the porch. The bedrooms were all roomy and comfortable, and we were all in love with the deep tubs and ample showers in the bathrooms. We had a mixed bag of weather, but the house was so lovely, we were happy to cuddle up inside playing board games, doing crafts and just enjoying the beautiful space. The views from throughout the house were gorgeous, and the flat lawn and swing set were well loved by the children. The owners were also incredibly responsive and pleasant to deal with. We loved every minute of our trip and hope to return!
We had the perfect vacation here. The house was spotless and well equipped with everything you could ask for. We have a special needs son and it was the ideal place for him. We swam all day and ate dinner overlooking the water. Amazing! Can't wait to go back.
A grade above perfection. Open, warm, inviting home with attention to details. Fully stocked kitchen and the most magnificent dining table. Every room in the house had character and beautiful artwork created by the owner and her daughter. To be able to fish and kayak every day from the back yard was a dream come true. The home created a perfect setting for our family and had to be one of the best Thanksgivings I can remember! Thank you for allowing us to experience your very special home.
My daughter was getting married nearby, and we rented Sandgates for family/friends. Pictures do not do it justice.
It is a warm and flowing house. Simply but so tastefully decorated. Beautiful linens for sleeping. Furniture and beds so comfy. Felt like our own private inn. Views from everywhere! Even a little office for the busy law student to study! Everyone felt so at home and comfortable. The house just invited good energy in from everybody. Nobody wanted to leave.....Owners were helpful and gracious. You won't be disappointed in any way.
Sandgates Farmhouse is located on an old tobacco farm fronting the Patuxent River in rural St. Mary's County MD. The Patuxent River is surprisingly undeveloped and has almost no boat traffic even though it's less than 50 miles from Washington DC. Though the house is very private, it's close to shopping, restaurants, naval base, and Solomons Island.
Fish and crab off dock or by boat on the Patuxent. The mouth of the Chesapeake is about 30 minutes south and the beautiful head of the Patuxent River winds over an hour north.
While the house is ideal for a relaxing getaway with family and friends, there are a number of key attractions nearby. They include:
- Maryland Crabbing and Fishing: In nearby areas as well as on Patuxent Rover and Chesapeake Bay.
- Amish country: Just a few miles away on Friendship School Road
- Solomons Island: Museum, docks, and many restaurants and bars.
- Sodderley Plantation: Special events, tours, and walks.
- St. Clement's Island: Where Maryland was founded and a good day trip.
- St. Mary's City: Home of St. Mary's College and Maryland's first city.
- Patuxent Naval Base: Largest employer in area and where many activities are held.
- Three Notch Road Bike Trail: On old rail line near property.
- Farm and Wine Tours: In numerous locations in St. Mary's County.
The 'Visit St. Mary's County' web site is a good source for additional information.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 1 2017 - Jun 4 2017
3 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 8 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest|
Jun 5 2017 - Oct 1 2017
7 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 8 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest|
|Refundable damage deposit||$500|
Rates are based on 8 guests; add $25.00 per night, per additional guest
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.