5BR Patuxent River Timberframe Farmhouse with Pool, Beach, Dock(17 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-7 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
About the Property
New, 5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bathroom, dock, beach, in-ground pool, huge screened porch
Part of a former tobacco farm (with oldest tobacco barns in St. Mary's County) located directly on the beautiful Patuxent River. The river is about 2 miles wide in front of house and has very little boat traffic. Crabbing and fishing directly off private dock. Electric boat lift available. Private beach is ideal for tanning, swimming or kayaking. Property is private, well landscaped and level so it's ideal for volleyball or other yard activities. Includes a large swing set.
New, large in-ground pool (17' x 40') with automatic pool cover along with charming adjoining pool house/barn with overhand for shade. Pool includes a tanning area, 4' deep at shallow end extending to about 8' deep. Very private and overlooks river with 180 degree views.
Very unique antique timberframe home with 5 large bedrooms and 3 1/2 large bathrooms:
- 1 bedroom on ground level
- 4 bedrooms on second level along with an alcove room
- huge (12' x 30') water-facing dining room with fireplace (including antique farm table that sits over 20 people),
- large (24' x 24') water-facing living room with beamed ceiling and fireplace,
- large (12' x 30') water-facing kitchen with new stainless steel appliances, bar seating, huge farm sink,
- small office overlooking pool/water,
- laundry room with new large-capacity washer, dryer, sink
- huge (12' x 55') water-facing screened porch with screened gazebo
- covered porch on farm side
- front entrance with charming pergola
- basement with small bathroom
- On ground level and separated from living room area, a large (15' x 20') water-facing bedroom with queen bed and office area and large (8' x 15') tiled bathroom with large roll-in shower.
- On second level separated from other areas, are two charming large bedrooms with cathedral ceilings; a master bedroom (12' x 22') facing water and pool with queen bed, walk-out balcony and bedroom (11' x 22') with queen bed and a built-in single bed facing farm, pool and water including large bank of windows for air, light, and views. Huge connecting tiled bathroom with 2 sinks, 6' walk-in shower, toilet room, and soaking tub surrounded by windows overlooking pool and water.
- Separate from other bedrooms are two additional upstairs bedrooms facing the water; each with cathedral ceilings and queen beds along with a hallway built-in single bed. These rooms are connected with a large tiled bathroom with double sinks, shower, and large soaking tub.
Floor Plan and Other Features
Floor plan is very open. Kitchen is situated between living room and dining room. Screened porch connects to all main living areas including dining room, kitchen and living room.
Most areas of house have overhang porches and a cross ventilation layout which takes advantage of the Patuxent River breezes. Every room has a ceiling fan (along with 3 zone central air conditioning).
House has a lot of character with antique timber frame construction throughout, old pine floors, fireplaces, large windows, and wood molding.
Member since: 2014
- 4100 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 12
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
Accessible as single step into front door. Includes portable ramp. Living room is set down one step from rest of ground level but screen porch is on same level for easier handicap access. Ground floor bathroom has roll in shower and low vanity. Not a handicap-rated house....moreless
Bedrooms: 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 12
Bathrooms: 4 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- All bathrooms are new, very large in size (with exception of one in basement) and tiled. Powder Room: Terra cotta tiled floor, antique porcelain wash stand, window, beams. First Floor Bathroom: Large with tiled floor, marble counter with large custom vanity, 2 windows, large closet, large walk-in shower. Hall Bathroom Upstairs: Large with tiled floor, marble counter with double sinks, window, shower, large soaking tub. Master Bathroom: Huge with tiled floor, double antique porcelain wash stands, 4 windows, huge walk-in shower, toilet room, soaking tub alcove with windows. Access to additional bedroom. ...moreless
- DVD Player
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Botanical Garden
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 20 people
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 1 - Jun 4, 2017
3 night min stay
Rates are based on 8 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
Jun 5 - Oct 1, 2017
7 night min stay
Rates are based on 8 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Pet Fee $200
- Refundable Damage Deposit $500
- cleaning fee $250
Rates are based on 8 guests; add $25.00 per night, per additional guest
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Sandgates Farmhouse is located on an old tobacco farm fronting the Patuxent River in rural St. Mary's County MD. The Patuxent River is surprisingly undeveloped and has almost no boat traffic even though it's less than 50 miles from Washington DC. Though the house is very private, it's close to shopping, restaurants, naval base, and Solomons Island.
Fish and crab off dock or by boat on the Patuxent. The mouth of the Chesapeake is about 30 minutes south and the beautiful head of the Patuxent River winds over an hour north.
While the house is ideal for a relaxing getaway with family and friends, there are a number of key attractions nearby. They include:
- Maryland Crabbing and Fishing: In nearby areas as well as on Patuxent Rover and Chesapeake Bay.
- Amish country: Just a few miles away on Friendship School Road
- Solomons Island: Museum, docks, and many restaurants and bars.
- Sodderley Plantation: Special events, tours, and walks.
- St. Clement's Island: Where Maryland was founded and a good day trip.
- St. Mary's City: Home of St. Mary's College and Maryland's first city.
- Patuxent Naval Base: Largest employer in area and where many activities are held.
- Three Notch Road Bike Trail: On old rail line near property.
- Farm and Wine Tours: In numerous locations in St. Mary's County.
The 'Visit St. Mary's County' web site is a good source for additional information.
Year Purchased: 2008
About the owner: Caroline and Robert (Bob) Ferber live in Baltimore, MD and have 4 children. Bob grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, while Caroline grew up in Paris, France. Bob and Caroline purchased the house from his family in 2008 and constructed a large addition using timbers from a tobacco warehouse from Lexington, Kentucky.
Why the Owner Chose Mechanicsville, MD, USA:
The farm has been in Bob's family for many generations. They used the property as a getaway for many years, enjoyed its privacy and found it to be a perfect escape to crab, fish, swim, kayak, and boat. During the off-season it's nice for spending Thanksgiving with a large number of family or as a getaway during the winter where you can watch the geese and ducks on both the farm and water sides of the house.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
This house provides the unusual mix of living on a farm without having to get up early and do chores. Inside it's bright with water views from every room and the old pine beams provide a warmth that is hard to find in any other home. We find much of the time is spent on the screen porch either sitting with friends and family or eating crabs and fresh Amish corn on the porch table. The pool is another treat as it's so refreshing and provides 180 degree views of the river right out front.
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Large flat lawn, plenty of room for activities.
Dock with boat lift; 180 degree views
Screened gazebo with skylight. 180 degree water and pool views.
Large dining room with water views and fireplace. Connects to kitchen.
Master bathroom with double sinks, tub, 6 foot shower, and toilet room
Large kitchen with farm sink. Views of water
Large bedroom with view of farm, pool, and water.
Bedroom facing waterfront.
Maryland crab feast is a must!
Huge screened porch with gazebo. Balcony on 2nd floor.
Living room with 3 sets of french doors opening to screen porch and kitchen.
Master bedroom, waterfront/pool views. Doors to balcony. Connects to bathroom.
Large soaking tub overlooking pool and water.
Large downstairs bedroom facing water.
Bedroom facing water front.
Second floor bathroom. Contains two sinks, large bath tub, and a shower
This listing was first published here in 2014.
Date last modified - Friday, April 21, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a Message
Contact the owner or see rate notes on this listing for additional information and fees
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.