Close To Town But Feels Like Country
- english, spanish
About Warren d'Aquin
Scuba Instructor Trainer; West Coast Swing Dancer and Teacher; Farmer. I've lived in Kona for 30 years and know the area well. Anything you are interested in doing or seeing during your stay, just ask!
Warren d'Aquin purchased this Farmhouse in 2000
Why Warren d'Aquin chose Honalo
My home is unique because it is located among agricultural farm land and feels private and secure. Yet a shopping center is only 2.5 miles away and Kailua Kona is only 8 miles away. The property is gated.
What makes this Farmhouse unique
Great sunsets; Cool mountain air at night. Large 1200 square foot lanai (deck) over looking the ocean. Partially covered so even if it rains you can enjoy the lanai. The sitting area, lounge chairs and living room set make you want to spend all your time here.
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
My husband and I wanted to treat my oldest sister, who had a particularly hard year last year, to a wonderful vacation and to create some happy memories together. She lives in Maine and had never been to Hawaii. We wanted to show her as much of the beautiful Big Island as we could (within reason) so we stayed three different places--in three different parts of the island. This place was the last place we stayed and it turned out to definitely be a case of saving the best for last. The house looked very nice in the pictures, but it's beyond “nice” in person—it's stunning. The house itself is gorgeous, with luxurious amenities and beautiful gardens, but the view from the house is breathtaking.
Yes, the coqui frogs were surprisingly vocal at night, but after the first night we were all used to them (it's remarkable that an inch-long creature can project that sound!). I thought their chorus only added to the exotic, tropical ambiance. We could hear roosters, but they didn't bother us either. I would be thrilled to stay at this house again if I could. I'd highly recommend it.
Wonderful tranquil home
Pictures really don't do it justice. The home is immaculate and very tastefully decorated with bits of original artwork throughout. Very spacious and comfortable. Bathrooms are updated and lovely. Kitchen was well appointed with new appliances. The lanai was huge with both a covered an uncovered section. The house and grounds were extremely private and secure. The only real negatives have been covered in other reviews - it was open air and cool at night. We knew that going in and it was really no big deal, but the bedroom with the queen beds as well as the master bathroom had more exposure and were cooler than other rooms. And the other negative associated with open air were the sounds during the night. I'm a regular camper so those sounds don't normally bother me, but there are numerous roosters in the neighborhood that would call each other throughout the night. So I would definitely recommend earplugs. The beds were very comfortable.
Checkin/checkout was simple and smooth. Quite frankly we were so busy during our visit that we didn't spend as much time in the house as I would have liked. I hope to someday return and have a more relaxing visit. We felt very fortunate to be guests in this home and to have found this gem. All in all, a wonderful experience and highly recommended.
Carl and family were excellent guests. They would be welcome anytime in my home. 5 stars!!!
The most exquisite property
This place is simply fabulous. Tropical lushness surrounds you on every side yet the inside of the house is pristine and elegant. The rooms are oh so comfortable. We spent most of our time on the huge lanai. The koi pond was a joy. You cant walk around the entire farm but what parts you do have access to are fascinating. Super easy and convenient appliances. Wonderful kitchen. Beautiful art throughout the unit. Bring earplugs or noise cancelling headphones if you want to sleep, however. The frogs and roosters will keep you up night and morning. But thats the jungle for ya. I would absolutely love to come back soon.
It was clean and very comfortable. Beautiful views and sunsets. The host Elaine did an excellent job in making our stay a pleasure.
Beautiful house but a couple of issues to get used to
We had a great stay at the Black Manta Farm. The house is beautiful and so are the surroundings. Elaine, the caretaker was also super helpful and kind. She even brought us some fruit from the farm which was delicious. The house has everything you could need for a great stay. It is immaculately clean, the lanai is great, the bathrooms are well equipped and the bedrooms are very comfortable. We had no issues with the house but there are a couple of things we wish we would have known before booking.
1) when booking we assumed we had the whole property to ourselves as the description states 'whole house'. However, Elaine lives underneath the property so we found ourselves forever tiptoeing as not to disturb her. She never asked us to do this, but we felt it courteous to do so.
2) the house does not have closable windows or lockable doors. In Hawai'i there are Coqui Frogs that make lots of noise at night and you can't block them out as there are no windows! It takes a lot of getting used to if you are a light sleeper. 3) this is a working farm. We did know this and we were told that people would be on the property from time to time. However, we didn't realise they would be walking directly past our bedroom windows at 6am, chatting as they went. Again, with no lockable doors or windows this took a lot of getting used to.
All in all we did have a fantastic stay once we got used to these things. We also really appreciated the kindness offered by Elaine. Don't be put off by the points made above as they are not an issue. The property is very secure and if we'd have known about these things before we went we'd have been prepared for them. They are really not anything to be put off by but we do think people should know about them before making a decision to stay at the farm. Thank you again to Elaine and the staff for a great stay.
Aloha Vicky. Thank you for the review and feedback. Let me address the issues.
1) VRBO has two categories - whole-house or apartment and shared accommodations. Elaine is aware that the home is vacation rental and you need not feel timid about using the home as your own. The sound from voices travels but the footsteps are not as noticeable.
2) I probably need to state it more clearly, but there is a disclaimer about the home being open-air. "The home is an open-air Island style home. Please bring warm clothes for the evenings."
3) I don't know what to say about the noise. The rental is on the second floor and it is difficult to walk past your windows and doors. The staff and workers know of the 10 pm to 7 am quiet time. I will certainly look into this for a remedy.
Black Manta Farm was amazing!
View and the concept of a house up at 1500 foot level with modern features but set in Jurassic surroundings. Being away from the main tourist grind but close to everything worked wonderfully for us; was cool in evening as promised, clean, all the comforts. Owners were super helpful. We would love to come back!
The home is located at the quiet cool elevation of 1500 feet. Supermarket and Farmer's Market is only 2.5 miles away. Ocean activities just as close.