Unique, Quiet, Secluded Ground-Level Riverside Garden Suite in Natural Setting
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Completely self-contained, ground-floor garden suite set in a natural west-coast setting of tall firs, cedars, salal, goats beard, wild cranberry, ocean spray, Oregon grape, and ferns. The suite is perched on the immediate edge of the Capilano Canyon (the property is well fenced!) looking 30 metres down to the ruggedly beautiful Capilano River and across the canyon to the Capilano Regional Park. Exceptionally quiet - the only sounds you will hear will be the murmurs of the river and the songs and cries of the many resident birds.
The Canyon hosts bald eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, and numerous ducks and other smaller birds, including sparkling hummingbirds, that fly past at eye-level, perch on nearby trees, and enjoy the birdfeeders. Looking down at the Ranger Pool, you will see salmon running (in the fall), fly fishermen, kayakers, and hikers taking a rest on the river's 'beach'.
Our home is set well below the road, which is why it is so quiet and the setting so pristine. But it comes at a cost! There is a hand-railed path of about 40 steps from our carport down to the main level of our home. We continue to handle this journey with ease (despite two hip replacements!). There are a further 20 steps down to the suite. Consider this hike part of your daily workout!
The suite has it own private deck overlooking the canyon and there is an adjoining patio that provides a cool place to sit and read or eat on sunny hot days. It has been recently renovated and decorated with West Coast art. It has two large, bright bedrooms, with a double or queen-size bed and new bedding. The living area has a slate floor and comprises a well-equipped kitchen, a large dining and living area with a gas fireplace. The bathroom includes a bath and shower, and the usual fittings. The suite looks out, through two double French doors, to the deck and across the river to the park. The suite is exceptionally safe and private, and is professionally cleaned after each visit.
Our suite is exceptionally well located for tourists and vacationers:
• 5 minute walk to the Capilano Suspension Bridge - this is a must-see, well worth it!
• 15 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to the Chinook Trail in the Capilano Regional Park that loops around the Cleveland Dam back to the trailhead - a lovely, pristine, riverside trail - pools, ancient trees, Capilano Salmon Hatchery, and more (my favourite longer walk).
• 5 minute drive to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery - very interesting and close encounters with salmon (which are very tasty!).
• 10 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to Edgemont Village - old-fashioned village that provides everything you need for your stay (except a candlestick maker!).
• 20 minute quiet walk or 5 minute drive to Murdo Frazer Park - pitch and putt and a little old wood cabin set on a duck pond - bring duck food - great fun for kids!
• 10 minute drive to Ambleside Beach, 10 minute drive to Third Beach in Stanley Park - this is our favourite beach and is wonderful for families with younger children.
• 10 minute drive to the Grouse Mountain Skyride to the peak - lots to do and great fun year-round. Or, instead of taking the Skyride, try the Grouse Grind - be warned, it's very tough! For the daredevils, Grouse and the North Shore offer unmatched mountain biking!
• 20 minute drives to Cypress and Seymour Mountains - good skiing and hiking. For the fitter types, try hiking from Cypress Bowl to the Lions along the Howe Sound Crest Trail - my favourite, more demanding, hike (when I was younger!) - the views are spectacular, particularly from the top of the West Lion.
• 40 minute drive to the Sea to Sky Gondola near Squamish on the road to Whistler. Fantastic views of the iconic Stawamus Chief, Howe Sound, and surrounding mountains - a new North Shore attraction and well worth a visit!
The transit and travelling location of our home is excellent:
• 2 minute walk to buses that service downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park, Lonsdale Quay, Grouse Mountain, and Horseshoe Bay.
• 10-20 minute drive to downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park over the Lions Gate Bridge.
• 1 minute drive to the Trans Canada Highway - gateway to Horseshoe Bay, Lions Bay, Squamish and Whistler to the north west; and the Seconds Narrows Bridge, Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge, Deep Cove, east Vancouver, Burnaby and the Fraser Valley to the east.
• south of Vancouver, including the USA, can be reached through downtown Vancouver or by the Second Narrows Bridge (avoiding downtown).
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2014
- 1000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Miniature Golf
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Perched on the edge of the Capilano Canyon 30 metres directly above the beautiful Ranger Pool of the Capilano River, and across to the Capilano Regional Park. Enjoy the sounds of the river and birds....moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Cross Country Skiing
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Roller Blading
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
There is plenty of safe street parking. There is a hand-railed path of about 40 steps from our carport down to our home. We continue to handle the journey with ease (despite two hip replacements!). ...moreless
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $23 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Pet Fee $75.35
- Cleaning fee $56.51
Please note that the additional guest fee of $30.00 per night DOES NOT APPLY TO CHILDREN OF THE RENTER (high school or younger)! If the "Book It" system quotes the additional guest fee for your children, enter O children
Monthly rate by negotiation
Please feel free to call our home number for more information or any clarification 1-604-987-2832
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Car: Not Necessary
Year Purchased: 1996
About the owner: We have lived in our home since 1996 and are now empty nesters after our three children left to start their own independent lives. We are both retired professionals (financial executive and teacher) and we live in the two floors above the suite. We think that our suite is beautiful, and we wanted to share it with others. We have five grandchildren who, like all young children, are full of energy and can be rambunctious when they visit - it's a lot of fun having children around. But we are also very mindful of our guests who choose our suite for its quiet, natural location.
Why the Owner Chose Edgemont (North Vancouver, BC, Canada):
We moved to the North Shore from the Vancouver west side in 1985 when we fell in love with the ambience of mountains, forests and water. We are not 'city' people and loved the quality of life the North Shore offered (while being in close proximity to the city). We came across this home in 1996 and it was love at first sight, and the romance continues.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Our home feels to us like a quiet country cottage set in the woods by the river, but yet it is within minutes of one of the most beautiful and livable cities in the world. It is tucked in a natural cedar and fir forest setting, with abundant native plant life. Despite the trees, it enjoys a great deal of sunshine, particularly as the sun sets in the afternoon and evening. Our home and deck faces south west, so it can get hot, but we have a partially shaded patio area that is cooler and a great place to read or play.
- Primary: +1 604-987-2832 We are on Pacific Daylight Time
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Our three-level home zoomed up from the rugged Capilano River 30 metres below
Summer view of the Ranger Pool and "beach" from our home
Ranger Pool and Capilano River in full flood viewed from our home
Canyon view from our home, wintertime
The front entrance to the main level our home
Suite and patio, facing west
Stairs up to main deck with covered suite deck below
View of kitchen area
View of dining/living area, gas fire, deck on left
Another view of the dining/living area
Outlook from the north bedroom
Bathroom, small but perfect!
Our home is on the edge of the canyon and looks down 30 metres to the river
Winter view of the Ranger Pool from our home
Canyon view from our home, summer time
Fishing in the Ranger Pool below our home
Steps down to the ground level suite, Capilano Regional Park in the background
The patio from above
Suite deck overlooking canyon
Another view of the kitchen area
Dining/living area looking through double French doors to deck
Bedroom on the north side of the suite
South bedroom with patio outlook
Step-in deep tub and overhead shower
This listing was first published here in 2014.
Date last modified - Friday, December 02, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM