About the property
- House1700 sq. ft.
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay1 - 7 nights
3 bedroom two and one half baths oceanfront home with magnificent ocean views!
Sleeps ten:king,queen, two bunk beds, and pull out sleeper queen. Bed linens and bath towels provided for 2015 guests. WIFI! Hot Tub!!! Corn Hole Boards!! Stone's throw to beach! Direct beach access from deck. Oceanfront!! Views to die for! BRAND NEW WINDOWS and DECK May 2016!!Total remodel in kitchen and great room in 2013. Upgraded cabinets and quartz countertops. Ceramic tile in kitchen and half bath upstairs. Hardwood floors in great room. Carpeted bedrooms. Full sized washer and dryer. Outside deck. Charcoal park grill. Outside shower!!! Hot tub!! path to oceanfront is accessed from lower deck. Driveway has ample parking and parking for one car under house. Great restaurants nearby, cinemas, miniature golf and many other activities right around the house.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- May 21, 2018
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
Amazing vacation! A few concerns.
Let me preface this review by saying this: we really enjoyed our time at this beach house! We had a wonderful week with our toddler and her grandparents. Even a few wild and windy days (thanks to Hurricane Maria!) couldn't dampen our spirits.
Here's the run-down of stuff that was awesome:
- The view from the second floor really is spectacular. The photos don't capture it. There's something amazing about being able to glance out at the waves any time you like. Loved it.
- Having a private walkway to the beach really makes a huge difference. With a two-year-old, it made it easy to visit the water without planning a major expedition. Fair warning: the sand pathway could be difficult to negotiate for those who aren't steady on their feet. Many nearby homes had longer walkways---that would have made things easier. But fine for us.
- The house is close to great restaurants, shopping, and tourist destinations. Our daughter loved visiting the nearby pier and arcade, a ten-minute walk along the beach.
That being said, here are a few complaints:
- The master bathroom had a problem: the shower walls were coated with black mildew. For whatever reason, this wood paneling hadn't been cleaned properly---for quite a while, by its appearance. Standing in the shower was gross enough; sitting in the tub for a bath was out of the question. The first time I showered, I spent fifteen minutes scrubbing the walls down with a sponge---just so that I could relax a bit.
- The jacuzzi jets on the master bathroom tub did not seem to work.
- The master bedroom door---which opens almost directly onto the beach path---would not open. This was disappointing, since it meant that we couldn't "sneak out" for a hot tub soak or a nighttime stroll. We contacted the owner and were told that the lock had broken the week before and that the parts had not yet arrived.
- Linens: the beds were not made when we arrived, and several of the mattress pads were ripped. There were no washcloths; we bought some from a nearby store and left them behind for future guests.
- A sign posted in the house indicated that the hot tub would be maintained once before our arrival and once mid-week. The first visit happened, but it was over an hour after the specified check-in time. The second visit never occurred (as far as we could tell), and the tub was very sandy by week's end.
Again, we had a great time. We would come back again, despite these quibbles!
Matt, thank you for your well thought out words on your week vacation at the vacation house. You were able to give a lot of information for future guests. I appreciate the fact that your words stated that you would return for another vacation with us.
I'd like to apologize for such a delayed response to your review. To address the concerns, we have cleaned, sanded, and resealed the walls inside the master bathroom tub to make sure it is nothing but sparkling clean for the guests. I understand the bathtub jacuzzi jets do not work and I should have reminded you of that issue. Luckily there is a wonderful close to new hot tub outside to relax in. As far as the linens, we have added facecloths to our linen inventory as standard. I have replaced the torn mattress pads.The door to the outside from the bedroom was broken in the week before tenant's time there and when our handyman went to repair the lock, it could not be salvaged that turnover day and a new one was ordered. It had to be a special order as the Anderson doors are custom doors. The door could not be fixed while you were there. The hot tub is supposed to be maintained twice a week by our service people once on move in day and one other day during the week usually Weds or Thurs. I have checked with the company to make sure they are doing that service as in our contract.
Again, I appreciate your time in writing about our vacation house and hope that you do come back and see us another year.
Awesome Beach house
We loved our week at Kill Devil Hills!! There couldn't be a better location... beautiful views, right on the beach, close to restaurants and hang gliding!! Loved every minute of it!! Thanks so much!!!!
Updated beach with nice view!
Southern Aire is a nicely decorated updated beach home. The view from the top deck is incredible. Kitchen had everything we needed to cook/prepare food. Beth was available for any questions or concerns and was easy to work with.
Absolutely Perfect in Every Way!
My mother and I spent a week here in May 16. We did not want to leave. Ever. This charming home is situated directly on the beach with killer views, especially from the upper deck. If you are looking for a place to completely unwind, this is it. The lot next door adds an extra layer of privacy, so watching the gorgeous early sunrise in your PJs is of no concern.
The kitchen is loaded with everything you could possibly want--from a blender for Margaritas to every type of cooking vessel possible. Gourmet chefs will feel right at home. The outdoor grill is easy to use--and highly recommended for lobster tails! We cooked fabulous meals every evening--there is a Harris Teeter market nearby. There are also a ton of restaurants in the area. Shoutout to the Category 5 Bar for a fun lunch with live music and the friendliest staff you can imagine.
The bedroom accommodations were very nice-- the master is huge with plenty of closet space and a substantial full bathroom.
The upper deck has Adirondack-style high chairs for enjoying the view. It was early in the season and the beach was quiet. The lower deck has seating and a fantastic hammock, perfect for a mid-day rest with ocean breezes.
The living room has large windows and glass doors so you can enjoy the view from every angle.
Having linens was a huge bonus, as were the full sized laundry facilities. The entire house was very clean.
Beth was very kind and quick to answer any questions I had. We are truly grateful to have had the opportunity to spend a week in this wonderful home in a delightful location. It doesn't get any better than this.
Another fabulous vacation at Southern Aire!
This is the 5th year that my friends and I have rented Southern Aire in Kill Devil Hills. Over that time we have always had wonderful stays and each year when we return there have been more improvements. This year it was, among other things, new deck chairs which were wonderful for sunrise and dolphin watching! We have always found the owners to be extremely responsive to our needs. Last year we made a couple of suggestions for improvements and found this year that all the suggestions had been implemented. The location is perfect -- central to the Northern Outer Banks with easy access to great restaurants, movie theater, thrift shops and a lot more.We highly recommend this house, fervently hoping that the other renters won't want "our" week.
Southern Aire Visit in September
My wife and I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at Southern Aire in Kill Devil Hills this fall (2015.) The cottage has an excellent location on the beach with superb views from the upper deck. Shopping and attractions are nearby including the Avalon Pier. All appliances were modern and in very good working order. Although it is not as large as some other houses on the beach, this cottage has privacy and is an excellent choice for a smaller group.
Wright Brother's Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, historic lighthouses, deep sea fishing close by,