About the property
- Apartment1200 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Mininum Stay5 nights
1 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, Sleeps 2
This 1200 sqft colonial apartment will keep you super comfortable during your stay in Cuenca. Enjoy the comforts of a home for what you’d pay for an average hotel (where all you get is a room with a bed and bathroom)!
Following the description of this apartment is a 'checklist' of things you might want to consider when examining other properties (scroll to the bottom). Be sure to look it over so you get the RIGHT FIT FOR YOU!!!
***About this Apartment***
The apartment has been completely remodeled with new flooring, plumbing, toilets, furniture, paint, bed, etc etc.
The living room is huge, with 10ft ceilings, large L-shaped sofa, entertainment center, and large windows to let in lots of light. Enjoy the flat screen TV (with HDMI ports so you can watch (even USA TV stations!) from your laptop), or the more than 100 DVD's provided for you to choose from.
Off to the side of the living area is a 4-person formal dining table (in addition to the 2-person breakfast table located in the sunroom).
The bedroom is large with a Queen bed, ensuite full bath, and walk-in closet (rare in Cuenca!).
The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you’ll need (except food!). 6-burner gas cooktop/oven, microwave, toaster, toaster oven, blender, coffee maker, food processor, tall refrigerator, and lots of cooking gadgets. Most places are pretty stingy when it comes to outfitting the kitchen. NOT this one! Coffee/tea, condiments, cooking oil and spices are also provided.
The really EXCEPTIONAL feature of this apartment is the HUGE sun room with soaring skylights! In this area, you can relax, take a nap, read a book, do laundry, or surf the Net at a work desk. When it rains, it's romance at its best to sit in the sun room and listen to the roar of the rain hitting the ceilings overhead. Also in this area is a 2nd FULL bath.
Need to do laundry? No problemo as you have your own washer AND dryer (also rare here) INSIDE the apt.
OH!! A cell phone AND Fiber Optic internet are provided, too!
Yet another feature (as if more is needed!) is the rooftop terrace with table and chairs, and great views daytime or nighttime. (My guests have exclusive use).
***About the Location***
Situated in an old colonial building located smack dab in the middle of El Centro. Everything you want is just steps outside your door.
- Close to the blue-domed Cathedral, flower market, and Parque Calderon, the center of the Universe when it comes to Cuenca’s activities, festivals, tourism office, tour bus, etc.
- EZ walk to a large Mercado featuring local grown fruits and vegetables plus meats and seafood.
- Lots of eateries from cheap $3 lunches to upscale restaurants.
- Pharmacies, medical/dental offices, and hospital all nearby.
- Want a taxi or a bus? They're ripe for picking anywhere you happen to be in El Centro.
- Nearby is a plaza lined with Otovalan vendors selling beautiful fabrics, clothing, shawls, scarves, tapestries, etc.
***About the Pricing, Discounts, and Perks!!***
I offer significant discounts for longer stays.
- Stay 14 nights or more, but less than a month, approximately 20% off!!**
- Stay 30 nights or more, 30% or more off!!***
The discounts are automatically calculated based on dates you enter. In the end, you'll find the daily cost of this apartment to be LESS than an average hotel here in Cuenca, especially when you consider the additional expenses of eating out all the time. Ask yourself..."How many nights would I get for the same price, if I stayed at a hotel?”
WAIT! There’s more!! (no, not a set of Ginzu knives)….
** Stay 14 nights or more, but less than a month, receive 5 vouchers for breakfast and/or lunch for two at one of 4 very popular eateries in Cuenca (Sunrise Café, Don Colon, San Sebas, or Fabianos) all near your apt.
*** Stay 30 nights or more, receive two admissions to the best spa in town ‘Piedra de Aqua’ with several pools, massage caves, steam room, lockers, mud baths, and restaurant. PLUS the 5 vouchers as mentioned above! Don’t care for the spa/pampering scene? Then, add 2 more restaurant vouchers to make it 7!!
Please consult the online calendar for dates available vs already booked. I keep my calendar current at all times.
This building (as is 95% in Cuenca) does not have an elevator. The apartment requires a 2-flight walk-up.
***A Checklist When Examining Other Properties***
* Location. Can you walk to most everything you'll want to do, or do you always need to take a taxi or bus?
* Does the unit have hot water at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink (rare here), and piped to the shower?
* Does the shower have direct-piped hot water, or one of those electric shower-heads that produce only lukewarm water (known as 'widow-makers')?
* Does the unit have an oven or just a cooktop?
* Does it have both a washer and dryer INSIDE the unit?
* Does it have a tiny fridge? Is it sitting on the floor where you darn near have to get on your knees to get anything (like in a college dorm)?
* If 2 people are sleeping in the same bed, can they walk around both sides of the bed? Is the bed FULL or QUEEN?
* Is the bed(s) located in the SAME space as the living room (like a Studio unit)?
* Does the furniture look comfortable or is it rigid and formal and/or crammed together in a tiny space?
* Does the kitchen provide all the tools, gadgets, and small appliances you'll want to 'get the job done'?
These kinds of things can make the difference between an 'okay' experience and a great one. Closely examine the photos in each listing and look for details in the descriptive write-up.
If you don't see it, ASK. If you have special concerns or needs....ASK!!!
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- english, Basic Spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- Feb 22, 2018
I am originally from the Seattle, WA, USA area. I've lived in Cuenca since early 2011.
Why Dano chose Cuenca
Location, Location, LOCATION!!!
What makes this Apartment unique
Cuenca is a VERY walkable city. No car is needed.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 2:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Apartment is large and well furnished. All amenities you could want are provided. We were very comfortable with good sheets, towels bed etc. and the apartment is clean and tidy. location is right in the heart of Old Town close to sights, museums and lots of restaurants. The host picked us up at the bus station and gave us a comprehensive tour of the property and his large 59 page notebook of instructions and attractions proved invaluable during the stay. Communication with him via email was excellent and he responded promptly. Very good value over a hotel. Only problem was the construction noise from the plaza below. That should subside in a week or so when they begin laying the stone tiles. No fault of the host.
The property was located in a great area unfortunately the whole square was under construction.
Pros: close to restaurants, stores, historical churches and many activities in the square. It is very well furnished and kitchen well equipped. Bed is comfortable. Property owner is exceptional. He will do everything possible to correct a bad situation.
Cons: construction noise from 7am til sometimes 8pm. Internet connectivity is fair at best.
Clarification for those who are considering staying here:
1. The square block in front of the building is being refurbished into a new public park/plaza/open-space. All demolition was done months ago. There won't be any new structures (ie; buildings) constructed ...it is limited to pavers, a new fountain, benches, and planters.
2. The side street, its sidewalks, and the sidewalk in front of the building are being completely refurbished as part of the over-arching project. The street is 85% done as of this writing (re-laying heritage cobblestone), and the sidewalk in front of the building is only a few days away from being finished with hand-laid marble tiles. Looks GREAT!
3. Yes, there's going to be some noise from workers and mixing cement. It generally stops when night falls which is about 6:30 - 7pm. Most guests are out and about exploring the city during the work day anyway, so it usually has little impact. In fact, several of my past guests have commented how they've enjoyed watching the changes and seeing how things are done here in Ecuador which can be QUITE DIFFERENT than back home!!!
4. Internet had not been a problem to any of my guests prior to this stay. I had the internet company out 3 times to investigate and they did not find anything wrong with the installation. However, the WiFi router was 3 1/2 years old and I was told they start to poop out at that age. But, I could not find any ADSL routers in any store in Cuenca!!! I found a used one and installed that, plus replaced each of the repeaters/range extenders with new ones. It's my belief that the problem was also exacerbated by the guest having 3-4 devices connected at the same time, plus streaming...and that all those connections and activity usurped the bandwidth...especially if a person in another apt was also connected. IF the bandwidth hits the max, no new connection can be made. In any case, I am in the process of upgrading to Fiber Optic now that FO is being rolled out in Cuenca.
Great El Centro Apartment
My husband and I just spent four months in this apartment in the heart of El Centro. It was exactly as described, and the pictures we had viewed for months in advance depicted it perfectly! We loved the location overlooking San Francisco Plaza, and enjoyed observing the daily hustle and bustle of the Otovalan vendors. Their colourful stalls and goods were always interesting and appealing. The mercado, just two blocks away, became a daily stop, for freshly squeezed orange juice, fruits and vegetables. We loved being able to wander the area, finding charming buildings to explore, restaurants and coffee shops to sample.
The apartment itself became a home away from home. The floor to ceiling windows in the living room made it bright and welcoming. As others have mentioned, the bedroom, tucked away in the back, was quiet, despite the daily busyness of the area. The walk in closet is wonderful, allowing you to unpack completely, no matter the length of your stay. Having a washer and dryer n the unit is a bonus, especially for a longterm stay. The kitchen is on the small side, but certainly manageable for many meals over the course of our stay.
Dano is a great host, there to answer questions, and look after small issues that arose, and his comprehensive "Bible" has loads of information about the area and the apartment. He went above and beyond usual duties, taking us to a local hospital when a minor "emergency" arose, and stayed to help us with the language barrier, as our Spanish was limited and did not include medical terms.
We walked and ran daily along the river, and enjoyed using the fitness equipment in Parque Paraiso. My husband joined a nearby gym, and we found yoga and tai chi lessons at a local wellness centre. All in all, it was a great way to avoid an Ontario winter!
Thank you guys!! Gonna miss you. You were phenomenal and no stickies!! Maybe you hid one under the mattress??
Dano's Corazon Apartment - "WOW"
Our stay at Dano's Apartment 1 (Corazon) was great. It was very large, clean and well decorated.The bed was extremely comfortable....giving us a good night's sleep each and every night. The walk in closet was a bonus, making it easy to unpack rather than living out of a suitcase. The sun room was a little chilly in the mornings but what a refreshing change from the Florida heat we left behind.
The location couldn't have been better. It was so convenient to have the craft market at our doorstep, the Park, Cathedral and flower market a block away and our favorite bakery and tienda within a few steps. A five minute walk and you were at the river....beautiful! We did a fantastic day hike in Cajas National Park and spent another amazing day at the Zoo.
Dano went above and beyond the call of duty by assisting us with transportation arrangements from Guayaquil to Cuenca. He was readily available to answer any questions we may have had, providing us with helpful advice and suggestions.
We enjoyed our Cuenca vacation tremendously and even though we were away for a month, we felt right at home in our apartment.
Theresa & Dom....thanks for the AWWWESOME review! Glad you both had a great time here!!
Great El Centro Property!
Great location in a plaza that houses a craft market. One block from the main Park Calderon, about 5 blocks to the river. Location can not be beat! The apartment was very clean and spacious! It is technically a one bedroom, but it is big enough to take advantage of the fold out sofa. The kitchen was well equipped. I enjoyed people watching from the balcony.
Dano was readily available to answer questions and was proactively informative, an excellent host. I would recommend this to friends and family! The plaza does get quiet at night, so consider this if you expect to get home late and are planning on walking. You may want to take a taxi.
Great visit to Cuenca over Christmas
We spent the Christmas week in Cuenca. Dano was our host and we truly felt like his guests. This apartment is squeaky clean, spacious and nicely furnished. The kitchen has everything needed to make delicious food that you can buy at the local market. We enjoyed shopping and cooking at home -- a very welcome break from our hotel stay in Guayaquil. Best of all -- breakfast on the roof deck which is a lovely and serene spot, also well maintained with cactus plants, beautiful ceramics and colorful paint. Even thought the apartment in located right on a plaza sleeping at night was quiet and restful because the bedroom is away from the front windows. The apartment has lots of charming features and is very comfortable. It has a washer and dryer! A luxury item we probably take for granted. The location in el Centro is perfect -- so easy to walk to the river, out for coffee and to see the sights just by walking around. Dano made every effort to make our stay pleasant. Before we arrived, he helped us figure out transportation to Cuence and picked us up at the van location when we arrived. He was very responsive to all our questions and shared useful information -- like finding a place called Joe's Secret Garden where we enjoyed Christmas Eve dinner. He has a comprehensive resource book he has written over the years with detailed guidance on local restaurants, events, and insights into having an enjoyable time in Cuenca. We loved our day at the local spa -- so relaxing. His enthusiasm for the quality of life in Cuenca is so clear and it is nicely balanced by deep knowledge of the area and things to do and not to do. We felt very welcomed and safe in Cuence and look forward to a return visit and a longer stay with Dano.
....and the Oscar for the Best Review for a stay in 2015 goes to....
(film at 11)
It was great having you and making new friends. I look forward to your eventual return....soon!!!!
Everything is right outside your front door.