About the property
- Cabin1200 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 nights
3- Bedroom, 2- Bathroom House With Mountain Views, Hot Tub, and Wi-Fi Sleeps 10
**We just updated the kitchen with new appliances; a brand new glass top electric stove&oven and a brand new refrigerator with a built in ice maker. Also we just installed a brand new hot tub and a new outdoor BBQ gas grill, we hope you will enjoy your time at Point of View Lodge!**
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains directly adjacent to Shenandoah National Park near Luray Virginia, Point of View Mountain Lodge is a privately owned vacation home that is available for short-term rentals. Ideal for a romantic getaway, a family outing, or a group adventure, this beautifully restored alpine home accommodates up to ten adults. The large property is private and quiet, yet very accessible—and less than two hours from downtown Washington DC!
Perched atop a ridge crest at a 2700-foot elevation, the Lodge offers a spectacular panoramic vista of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Range. It is within walking distance of the Appalachian Trail, Skyline Drive, several waterfalls, a pond, and the Big Meadows Recreation Area, which features a nature center, a historical stone lodge and tavern, and the Meadow itself. In addition to hiking, the nearby towns of Stanley and Luray offer caving, river rafting, fly fishing, Bluegrass music, wineries, horseback riding, duckpins, and antique stores.
Pet-friendly, child-safe, and wheelchair accessible, the large mountaintop house has something for everyone: the charm of a country cabin, all the comfort and conveniences of home, and the luxuries of a resort. Amenities include a hot tub, pool table/Ping-Pong, fireplace and free Internet, Wi-Fi, and streaming video, and the grounds have a play set, garden paths, fruit trees, berry bushes, and diverse wildlife, but it is the scenery and uninterrupted alpine views that make it a truly special place.
· Located in Page County, Virginia, 15 miles south of Luray
· 2700-foot elevation in the Blue Ridge Mountains
· Less than two hours’ drive from downtown Washington DC
· Immediately off of state-plowed, paved road, and easily accessible year-round
· Quite, private location is directly adjacent to Shenandoah National Park
Accommodations and conveniences
· Master bedroom sleeps two adults (queen bed)
· Second bedroom sleeps two adults (queen bed)
· Third bedroom sleeps four adults (two full-length bunk beds)
· Main room sleeps two adults (double/full futon)
· Two full bathrooms
· Full kitchen with oven range, microwave, refrigerator, and dishwasher
· Kitchen also equipped with coffeemaker and other small appliances
· Dishes, cookware and utensils provided
· Large dining table and drop leaf table seat ten
· Large gas barbeque grill
· Well-mannered dogs allowed
· Wheelchair accessible
Recreation, entertainment, and amenities
· Main room and master bedroom are both equipped with HDTV, Blu-Ray and complementary streaming audio/video
· Home theater and audio system
· Complementary Wi-Fi with high-speed Internet service in all rooms
· Complementary local telephone service (in case your cellular signal is unreliable)
· Slate-top billiards table/Ping-Pong table (please note that game room is accessed by an exterior staircase)
· Plenty of books, games, and toys for all ages
· Access to fishing pond within development
· Seven-person hot tub
· Large covered deck with panoramic mountain views
· Hammock and porch swings
· Children's play set with swings and slide
· Gas fireplace (available for use during winter months only)
· Fire ring/pit
· Independently controlled heating and air conditioning in each bedroom
Scenery and views
· Spectacular panoramic mountain view—over 30 miles on clear days
· Enjoy the view from the great room, large covered deck or covered porch
· Enjoy an unimpeded view of the dark night sky from the hot tub
· Abundant wildlife (e.g. rabbit, deer, bear, hummingbird, hawk, goldfinch)
· Peach, pear, plumb and apple trees, blackberries and grapes
Destinations within hiking distance:
· Shenandoah National Park
· Big Meadows Recreation Area
· Skyline Drive
· Appalachian Trail
· Blackrock Summit
· Rapidan Camp
· Dark Hollow Falls
· Rose River Falls
· Lewis Falls
· Naked Creek Falls
· Lake Meadows
Local attractions and events within 20 miles
· Swimming at Lake Arrowhead Beach and Stanley Public Pool
· Antique shops, movie theatre, playhouse, art gallery, farmer's market and duckpin bowling in downtown Luray
· Luray Caverns, featuring: Car Museum, Museum of Shenandoah Culture, Garden Maze, Car & Carriage Museum, Gem Sluice, Toy Town Junction, and Rope Adventure Park
· Luray Zoo
· Luray Singing Tower Carillion
· Canoeing, rafting, kayaking and fly fishing on the Shenandoah River
· Horseback riding at Jordan Hollow or Skyland
· Food Lion and Walmart
· Skiing at Massanutten Ski Resort and Water Park (30 miles) and Bryce Four-Season Resort (40 miles)
Carl and Poy Hallinan
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within two days
- English, Thai
- Calendar last updated:
- May 23, 2018
About Carl and Poy Hallinan
We used to live in the greater Washington DC area, and really enjoyed our mountain home and the surrounding areas. We recently moved down to Florida to be closer to the family but we are fortunate to have a great friend who helps taking care of our property so we are able to share this wonderful property with our quests. We hope you will enjoy staying at our mountain retreat as much as we did.
Carl and Poy Hallinan purchased this Cabin in 2005
Why Carl and Poy Hallinan chose Stanley
We spent so many weekends in Shenandoah National Park that we decided to buy a home there. Now that we have a family, we don't get up there as often. We decided it should not go to waste, and that we should share it with others.
What makes this Cabin unique
We never tired of the views--we have hundreds of sunset photos, the fall colors are brilliant, and the snowscapes are magical!
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 7:00 PM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Great property with a few major flaws
Overall, we all enjoyed our stay at the cabin but there are some major flaws that come with the rental experience. First of all, there are NO LINENS on the bed. Now, I don't know about you but I don't have sheets for 6 beds just lying around. Sheets to me are a baseline provision and not having them is just cheap. One blanket per bed was given. I was not made aware of the lack of linens until my welcome email I received just prior to leaving. Also, we almost ran out of toilet paper and we did run out of paper towels. It was poorly stocked. There are also 4 sets of towels so make sure to bring your own. The dishwasher works but is almost impossible to close. The mounting bracket at the top needs to be repaired as it keeps the door from closing. We had to work hard to finally shut the thing. However once running, it was quiet and worked well. The hot tub works but beware, some friends received minor chemical burns/irritation. If you have sensitive skin, stay out! Provide your own firewood.
Now, all of that being said, the cabin was spacious and the pictures do not lie. The view is simply stunning. The heat and air worked well and there were many kitchen supplies. The fridge has a large capacity and there was plenty of seating in the kitchen area. Parking was ample and the fire pit was great. Little logs around for seating and a great view of the mountains. The wifi was great, worked well for 9 people all on at once. The living room has a smart tv. There are no neighbors immediately nearby so we felt comfortable to hang out the porch, which is really nice. The bathrooms and showers were great and the beds were comfy (minus not having sheets). All in all, it is a good cabin for the price but not expect to be wow'd by the hosting abilities. It was clean but not invested in. We all had a great time in the area. Nice wineries, hiking to lewis falls (take the tanners ridge fire road by foot), and grocery stores not too far. Would recommend but with clear caveats on what to expect from a place you are staying in.
The cabin was perfect for our small group! We will definitely book this place again!
Amazing Location and Views!!
Perfect for 4 people and a pup. Amazing view and secluded with very limited traffic. Great 2 day stay!
Cozy cabin, great location, a few disappointments
Let me start by saying this cabin is in a perfect location, has great views, and great amenities . The view of the starts at night is incredible. Chad saw a shooting start. The fire pit is amazing, fireplace is so nice, great size kitchen and table for our group of 6 people. However... there are a few things the group felt needed updating or improvement. The hot tub has great potential, but the chemicals are so strong they turned our bathing suits different colors and made everyone's skin irritated (itchy and dry). Lots of stink bugs, I didn't mind really because they don't bother me but they did gross out a few others in our group because they would land on the pillows and are in every room. It does say they don't have sheets, but they really should. Lastly, I tried to reach out to the property owner multiple times via text and email regarding early check in, however, never received a response. We had a fun time, just could use some improvements.
Great location/views, numerous issues
Great views, isolated location, big yard. Slept 10 of us okay. 8 would be a more comfortable capacity since it is not that big. The deck was nice and spacious.
The dishwasher did not work for us. It would not turn on, even after checking the breakers in the basement. The propane tank was nearly empty and was also frozen shut. We were never able to get the valve opened. So not being able to use the dishwasher and the grill was a big negative. Also, the fridge is in poor condition and requires some work to get it closed each time.
No linens were provided. There were maybe 6-8 fleece blankets and 4-6 bath towels, that was it. Linens should absolutely be provided for the beds.
The hot tub says 7 capacity in the listing, but the spa rules sheet stated capacity of 6. Most of us got rashes from being in the hot tub the first night and did not get back in the rest of the weekend. The spa rules sheet mentioned putting a shock packet in after each use, but we did not find any. The chemistry of the water could be way off.
The basement/game room was a nice separate area, but the pool table/ping pong table are in very poor condition, essentially unplayable. They are very old and beat up and should be replaced. One of the heaters in the basement would not work as well.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay despite the houses shortfalls. If they above issues were fixed, we would give it 5 stars. We would most likely look elsewhere next time.
Enjoyable, full amenities, great view
Great place to get away
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Includes four sets of complementary bath towels. Bed linens can be provided for an additional charge. An excess cleaning charge of $50 per rental if excess cleaning is required. Weekend rental requires 2 consecutive nights with Friday checked-in. Long holiday weekend requires 3 consecutive nights rental. Please review the Rental Agreement prior to booking for additional information.