This lovely, fun cottage for 1 or 2 guests is nestled on a quiet street in convenient, desirable Upper Fremont. Artfully compact, it has real-home features like gas kitchen, tub/shower bathroom, & sleeping loft to enhance your Seattle visit!
This is an open-floor-plan cottage with areas for living room, full kitchen, full bathroom and sleeping loft with a double bed. The cottage is detached and located behind the owner's 1901 single family home.
If you are with a larger group, this cottage can work in tandem with a wonderful 3 bedroom house right next door that accommodates up to six guests. (on this site at https://www.)
The footprint of the cottage is about 12 x 20 feet, plus the sleeping loft above a portion of it adds another 8 x 10 feet. The main room has an airy, high pitched ceiling and skylight, and the adjoining kitchen and bathroom lie below the sleeping loft.
The loft is accessed by a well-attached, sturdy ladder. Once in the loft, although you cannot stand up, the pitched ceiling allows a nice space for sitting and reading; there are lights and an outlet up there. The bed is a full size mattress with a wool and cotton topper for extra comfort. The bedding sheets and blankets are almost all of 100% cotton. There are wood shelves to place things on each side of the bed.
The living room has a comfy loveseat, an armoire and drawers for your clothes among other furnishings. There is a gas heater that works quite effectively, and a large ceiling fan. It has original exposed wood ceiling, cross beams and front wall peak. The skylight gives it a lot of light, even though there are trees around the cottage. If there is a full moon, you can watch it go by!
In the kitchen is a gas range & oven, half-refrigerator/freezer, (frost free), and microwave. It is completely equipped with dishes, pans, utensils, water filter and linens. There is a French press coffee pot and a tea pot and... even a fondue pot! There is enough storage and counter space to function as a proper kitchen in spite of being in a cozy cottage. (We forwent a dishwasher in order to accomplish this.) The kitchen has ceramic tile flooring and has windows on two sides. From your kitchen table you can gaze out over the garden's camellia, pear tree, and flower beds with peonies.
The bathroom has a pocket door, a tub/shower, sink, toilet, and storage for the cottage's linens and some of your cosmetics. It too has ceramic tile flooring, and a window opening into trees behind the cottage for fresh air. All linens are provided for guests.
Wifi is available from the main house and login information will be in the cottage.
You access the cottage by walking towards the back of the property along the south side of the main house. You will see the cottage right away. Guests can make use of the yard of the main house if they wish, and they also have a semi-enclosed courtyard directly in front of the cottage with a place to sit down.
Interaction with Guests:
While open and ready to offer assistance or to converse, I'm respectful of guests' privacy, and like to let them be the ones to establish the amount of interaction they wish to have.
Upper Fremont is one of the most rewardingly walkable neighborhoods in town. We also have a very safe track record.
There are about 8 restaurants and 3 coffee houses within a 5 minute walk of the house, and many more if you walk a few minutes farther down the hill to downtown Fremont.
In the 5-minute-walk category some food/beverage highlights are:
• Lighthouse Roasters who will cause you to wake up and smell the coffee! 400 N 43rd St
• Cafe Vita Coffee Roasting Co, 4301 Fremont
• Vif Wine and Coffee Bar, 4401 Fremont
• Ha! Comfort House, 4256 Fremont
• Paseo Caribbean Restaurant, 4225 Fremont
• Swingside Cafe, 4212 Fremont
• Uneeda Burger, 4302 Fremont
• RockCreek Seafood and Spirits, 4300 Fremont
• Via Tribunali, 4303 Fremont
• Roux, 4201 Fremont
• Pecado Bueno, 4307 Fremont
2. Grocery stores:
• 3 blocks away is Marketime Foods, 4416 Fremont, the most glorified corner store you will come across. Some of us have been seen in there 3 times in a day!
• PCC Natural Foods, at the foot of Fremont. A large, high quality, friendly and ethical grocery store with beautiful produce, deli and other departments.
• Conventional supermarkets Ballard Market and QFC are within a couple of miles, west and east.
3. Festivals in downtown Fremont:
• Fremont Solstice Festival & Parade in June
• Moisture Festival in April
4. Additional Highlights
• Woodland Park Zoo 5 blocks away
• Greenlake, about 1 mile away
• Fremont Sunday Market & flea market
• Fremont Abbey Arts venue, 2 blocks away
• Yoga Tree classes, 2 blocks away
• Boutique Clothing stores, foot of Fremont Ave
• Bars, many at foot of Fremont
• Vintage stores, foot of Fremont
• Vegan Bakery, foot of Fremont
• Gourmet ice cream, pie, cake, multiple venues, foot of Fremont
• Laundromat & laundry svc, 2 blocks away
• Cleaners, 2 blocks away
• Video store, 3 blocks away
• Post Office, 2/3 mile away
• Pharmacy, 1.5 mile east
• Banks, at least 3 kinds at foot of Fremont
The #5 bus for going downtown is at the end of our block. The #44 for going east to the University district or west to Ballard is 3 blocks north. A host of other buses are at the foot of Fremont ave, about a thirteen minute walk from the Cottage. Here are distances of some other important areas:
• Downtown Seattle, 4 miles south on US 99 or short bus ride
• Seattle Center, 3 miles south
• Wallingford commercial neighborhood, 1 mi east
• Ballard commercial neighborhood, 2 mi west
• University of Washington, 2+ mi east
Other things to note:
• There is usually ample parking on our street, and it has no restrictions.
• A laundromat or laundry service is nearby, around the corner.