This 900 sqft classic Colonial (but modern) apartment will keep you super comfortable during your stay in Cuenca. Enjoy the comforts of a home for what you’d pay for an average hotel (where all you get is a room with a bed and bathroom)!
Following the description of this apartment is a 'checklist' of things you might want to consider when examining other properties (scroll to the bottom). Be sure to look it over so you get the RIGHT FIT FOR YOU!!!
***About this Apartment***
Situated in an old colonial building, right in the heart of Cuenca’s El Centro, within easy walking distance to all the sites you'll want to see! Even though the building dates back to before we were born, the apartment has been completely upgraded and modernized but without losing the character and charm.
The living room is HUGE with dramatic 11ft high ceilings of elaborate design, trimmed with equally dramatic crown moldings, and topped off with large, ornate, wrought iron chandeliers. Large windows let in plenty of light . The living area is outfitted with a large L-shaped sofa, flat screen TV (with HDMI ports so you can watch whatever you can access from your laptop), and DVD player (with library of over 100 DVD’s to choose from).
Off to the side of the living area is a 4-person formal dining table.
The bedroom is situated in the back away from the front of the building and has a queen-sized bed. It has a beautiful antique armoire (closet), its own private bath with shower (towels and bedding provided).
The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you’ll need (except food!). Lots of counter prep-space plus upper and lower cabinets. 6-burner gas cooktop/oven, microwave, toaster, toaster oven, blender, coffee maker, food processor, tall refrigerator, and lots of cooking gadgets. Most places are pretty stingy when it comes to outfitting the kitchen. NOT this one! Coffee/tea, condiments, cooking oil and spices are also provided.
Throughout the apartment, you’ll find pieces of art by local artisans like ceramics by Eduardo Vega, handmade candelabras by local metalworkers, and Otovalan tapestries. You’ll be happy as a clam at high tide!.
Need to do laundry? No problemo as you have your own washer AND dryer (also rare here) INSIDE the apt.
OH!! A cell phone AND Fiber Optic internet are provided, too!
Yet another feature (as if more is needed!) is the rooftop garden terrace with table and chairs, and great views daytime or nighttime. (My guests have exclusive use).
***About the Location***
Everything you want is just steps outside your door.
- Close to the blue-domed Cathedral, flower market, and Parque Calderon, the center of the Universe when it comes to Cuenca’s activities, festivals, tourism office, tour bus, etc.
- EZ walk to a large Mercado featuring local grown fruits and vegetables plus meats and seafood.
- Lots of eateries from cheap $3 lunches to upscale restaurants.
- Pharmacies, medical/dental offices, and hospital all nearby.
- Want a taxi or a bus? They're ripe for picking anywhere you happen to be in El Centro.
- Nearby is a plaza lined with Otovalan vendors selling beautiful fabrics, clothing, shawls, scarves, tapestries, etc.
***About the Pricing & Discount!!***
I offer a significant discount for stays of 30 nights or more! The discount is automatically calculated based on the dates you enter. In the end, you'll find the daily cost of this apartment to be LESS than an average hotel here in Cuenca, especially when you consider the additional expenses of eating out all the time. Ask yourself..."How many nights would I get for the same price, if I stayed at a hotel?”
Please consult the online calendar for dates available vs already booked. I keep my calendar current at all times.
This building (as is 95% in Cuenca) does not have an elevator. The apartment requires a 1-flight walk-up.
***A Checklist When Examining Other Properties***
* Location. Can you walk to most everything you'll want to do, or do you always need to take a taxi or bus?
* Does the unit have hot water at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink (rare here), and piped to the shower?
* Does the shower have direct-piped hot water, or one of those electric shower-heads that produce only lukewarm water (known as 'widow-makers')?
* Does the unit have an oven or just a cooktop?
* Does it have both a washer and dryer INSIDE the unit?
* Does it have a tiny fridge? Is it sitting on the floor where you darn near have to get on your knees to get anything (like in a college dorm)?
* If 2 people are sleeping in the same bed, can they walk around both sides of the bed? Is the bed FULL or QUEEN?
* Is the bed(s) located in the SAME space as the living room (like a Studio unit)?
* Does the furniture look comfortable or is it rigid and formal and/or crammed together in a tiny space?
* Does the kitchen provide all the tools, gadgets, and small appliances you'll want to 'get the job done'?
These kinds of things can make the difference between an 'okay' experience and a great one. Closely examine the photos in each listing and look for details in the descriptive write-up.
If you don't see it, ASK. If you have special concerns or needs....ASK!!!