Grand Old World Colonial in the Heart of Cuenca
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:5 nights
- Property type:Apartment
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
This 900 sqft classic, colonial apartment captures the essence of old world Cuenca. Enjoy the comforts of a home for what you’d pay for an average hotel (where all you get is a room with a bed and bathroom)!
Following the description of this apartment (at the bottom) is a 'checklist' of things you might consider when examining other listings. Be sure to look it over so you get the RIGHT FIT FOR YOU!!!
Now, about this apartment.....
Situated in an old colonial building, right in the heart of Cuenca’s El Centro, within easy walking distance to all the amenities you could possibly want! Even though the building dates back to before we were born, the apartment has been completely upgraded and modernized but without losing the character and charm.
- Close to the blue-domed Cathedral, flower market, and Parque Calderon, the center of the Universe when it comes to Cuenca’s activities, festivals, tourism office, tour bus, etc.
- EZ walk to large mercado brimming with fresh fruits, produce, and seafood
- Otavalan textile vendors (clothing, scarves, tapestries) line the nearby Plaza San Francisco
- Just a few blocks to the Tomebamba river and greenbelt, great for people watching, running, biking, exercise
- Eateries from cheap Ecuadorian to fancy to expat-owned all around you.
- Want a taxi or a bus? They're ripe for picking anywhere you happen to be in El Centro.
Elevators are very rare in the older buildings of Cuenca. The unit necessitates a 1 flight walk up.
The kitchen has plenty of counter (prep) space plus lots of upper/lower cabinets and drawers and…it’s fully stocked with everything you’ll need (except food!)…gas cooktop/oven, microwave, toaster, toaster oven, blender, coffee maker, food processor, and tall refrigerator. Coffee/tea, condiments, cooking oil and spices are also provided. Also, in this large space, you’ll find the washer AND a dryer (VERY uncommon here!!) and off to the side, an antique office desk for your computer moments.
The living room is HUGE with dramatic 11ft high ceilings of elaborate design, trimmed with equally dramatic crown moldings, and topped off with large, ornate, wrought iron chandeliers. Large windows let in plenty of light . The living area is outfitted with a large L-shaped sofa, flat screen TV (with HDMI ports so you can watch TV (even USA stations!) from your laptop), and DVD player (with library of over 100 DVD’s to choose from). Off to the side is the dining area with a nice table and 4 chairs. Throughout the apartment, you’ll find pieces of art by local artisans like ceramics by Eduardo Vega, handmade candelabras by local metalworkers, and Otavalan tapestries. You’ll be happy as a clam.
The bedroom is situated in the back away from the front of the building and has a queen-sized bed. It has a beautiful antique armoire (closet), its own private bath with shower (towels and bedding provided).
OH!! A cell phone AND internet are provided, too!
Yet another feature (as if you needed more!) is a rooftop terrace (exclusive acces for my guests only) with table and chairs, and great views daytime or nighttime.
Availability: Please consult the online calendar. I keep my calendar current at all times.
Pricing: You'll find the daily cost of this apartment to be less than an average hotel here in Cuenca, especially when you consider the additional expenses of eating out all the time. Ask yourself..."How many nights would I get for the same price, if I stayed at a hotel?”
When you arrive in Cuenca, I will pick you up at your arrival point (whether that be the airport, bus terminal, or van service), bring you to the apartment, give you a short orientation, answers any questions, and hand over the keys!!
YOUR CHECKLIST WHEN VIEWING OTHER LISTINGS
* Location. Can you walk to most everything you'll want to do, or do you always need to take a taxi or bus to get there?
* Does the unit have hot water at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink (rare here), and shower?
* Does the shower have direct-piped hot water, or one of those electric shower-heads that produce only lukewarm water (known as 'widow-makers')?
* Does the unit have an oven or just a cooktop?
* Does it have both a washer and dryer IN the unit?
* Does it have a tiny fridge? Is it sitting on the floor where you darn near have to get on your knees to get anything?
* If 2 people are sleeping in the same bed, can they walk around both sides of the bed? Is the bed FULL or QUEEN?
* Is the bed(s) located in the SAME space as the living room?
* Does the furniture look comfortable or is it rigid and formal and/or crammed together in a tiny space?
* Does the kitchen come with all the amenities you’ll want/need to prepare meals and save a few bucks from eating out all the time?
These kinds of things can make the difference between an 'okay' experience and a great one. Closely examine the photos in each listing and look for details in the descriptive write-up.
Member since: 2014
- On floor 2
- 900 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Not Suitable For Children
- Pets Not Allowed
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2, Beds for 2
- 1 queen bed
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- shower (no tub)
- DVD Player
- Tourist Attractions
- Live Theater
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 9 - Dec 18, 2016
5 night min stay
My Standard Rate
5 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $100
Manager's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Everything is right outside your door, or within just a few blocks.
About: I am originally from the Seattle, WA, USA area. I've lived in Cuenca since early 2011.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Living room and dining area
Coffee maker, hot water kettle, toaster, toaster oven, and microwave.
Antique armoire is your closet.
Antique office desk with large framed map of Cuenca.
Rooftop Terrace with amazing views for your enjoyment day or night!
Light fixture in living room
Indigenous mkt conveniently located nearby for fruits, vegts, meats, seafood
Flower market across the street from the Cathedral
Entryway to Living Room
Flat screen TV and DVD player with over 100 DVD's to choose from.
Kitchen with lots of space and outfitted with everything you'll need.
Queen bed with nightstands, lamps, and alarm clock.
Bathroom with shower and handheld shower massager
Washer/dryer in apt, including soap, softener, bleach, and stain remover.
Crown molding and ceiling design in living area
Wrought iron chandeliers throughout the apt.
Crafts from local artisans on display throughout the apt.
El Centro (downtown)
Cathedral is located in the center of El Centro near the apt
This listing was first published here in 2014.
Date last modified - Thursday, December 01, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.