Quirky Arts & Crafts Style by the Sea
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1 night
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
A cabin in the woods + a cottage at the beach + a cutting-edge art gallery = the happily factory. With interior designs by a regular in Boston Magazine, Boston Globe Magazine, New England Real Estate Journal, HGTV and more, this 106-year-old cottage/cabin is exciting And comforting. Just outside Boston (30-45 min), near Quincy Center, w/public transport access, free parking, 10 minutes' drive to the freeway. It feels like Boston & Cape Cod combined.
It’s a special treat - IF you like antiques, weird cool things, and see beauty in imperfection. But it's not for everyone - so please read on to see if it's right for you...
On the plus side:
- half block walk to the beach
- reading in the hammock on the porch watching birds & squirrels
- grilling steaks or boiling lobster to eat on the farm tables inside or out
- fans, shade, ocean breeze, gentle weather
- flat screen with Netflix & DVDs in the living room
- ping pong, toys, games, & art materials to play with, books to read
- self-serve coffee/tea & Light breakfast included your first night
- loaners like beach stuff, umbrella, sunglasses, stuff you maybe forgot
- cute furry wild animals in the yard who won't bother you (really!)
- naturally clean indoor air, avoiding chemicals
- It's exotic! Stay in the home of a real Bohemian!
- super safe neighborhood, quiet, peaceful
- witty, playful art like the best contemporary museum, in a range of media
- charming! unique! full of life!
- cheaper than a hotel!
On the minus side (for some folks):
- no AC, no TV
- the yard outside is a wild-life preserve, not a croquet court
- inside you may see a spider or something with wings (it's ok! it won't get you!)
- something is always not quite finished being renovated
- sound travels thru wood walls & ceilings more than thru modern ones
- some of that art is related to sex! or bodies! or (gasp) feminism!
- it's not a familiar perfect chain hotel or McMansion
- it's not the cheapest thing imaginable!
But what are the bedrooms like?
- 3 main, 'cute' bedrooms: 1st w/queen bed, 2nd w/twin, 3rd w/full: each w/memory foam-topped bed, mirror, desk, chair, hooks or closet, fan
- 2 'storage' (not for being cute) rooms with twin floor mattresses
And if we have 8-12people?
- queen air mattress, queen sofa bed, in living room; feather bed pallete there or in third bedroom
Other things to note:
1. Kids: art is within reach, it's not too fragile but active youngsters should be supervised. There's lots of toys and games kids get to play with too!
2. Dis/abilities: 1 full flight of Imperfect stairs outside, squirrels who like to throw walnuts on walk paths & such, & 1 full flight of wood stairs inside.
3. Upstairs balcony: off-limits currently.
4. Yard: not off-limits, but not conventionally landscaped.
5. LGBT friendly, welcoming all, regardless of race, language, nationality, etc.
6. Art: Some of our often playful, witty contemporary art references a bit of nudity & the existence of a concept called sex!
In 4 years I've had 100's of vacation rental guests, including children and adults of every age - 98% of guests were content (often overjoyed) with the decor. There are over 100 works of contemporary art. Many are abstract paintings, but others are more unusual sculptures or imagery.
1. Pets: well behaved pets ok, w/negotiation. 10$/night/pet fee. No pets live here now.
2. Smoking outdoors only, porch ok, 420 ok.
3. Style: Here you make yourself at home like a trusted friend.
4. Information: I've got a ton of info about the house, neighborhood, & Boston public transport in manuals in the house! If it's not in there, i can answer more questions too!
5. Communication: I prefer texting! I don't check email every day, don't do voicemail much, and 'find the app is unreliable for notifications.
Come and enjoy the best sky, the freshest sweetest air, and the most relaxing walks in the Boston area!
Member since: 2014
- 1700 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Events Allowed
Children must be of an age and temperment not to play with appealing art objects. Some actual toys are provided. Parents must also accept that some art contains mild references to nudity and sex. ...moreless
- Pets Considered:
- Smoking Allowed:
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12, Beds for 9-12
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- DVD Player:
- Music Library:
- Ping Pong Table
- Video Library:
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Bird Watching
- Miniature Golf
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Beach View
- Ocean View
- Water View
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Dining Area
- Seating for 8 people
- Clothes Dryer:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
1 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $27 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Cleaning Fee $49
- Pet Fee $10
- Taxes Not included
Some pets are allowed, but must be discussed. Smoking outdoors only.
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Year Purchased: 2001
About the owner: I'm an artist living in a giant gallery & adult summer camp. I've got tons of cool stuff here you can look at & play with. And i've got tons of work fixing a 100-yr-old house, too, so something's always half-done. I was an interior designer for 14 years, and put the really amazing & bold stuff in my house, for pure pleasure, and for PR & portfolio. I'm kind of a hippy, & definitely a humanist pinko leftycrat, yet am driven - an entrepreneur who works a LOT. in my art organization, American Family Happily Institute, i collaborate with about 100 volunteers & interact with thousands of people each year. our work is about empowering people to be happier and more at peace, and working together to build a better world. I grew up in the the middle of america but know and love boston well now, and can share tips/cool stuff to do. i speak a little french badly. My housemate, Jean-luc, is a french pastry chef, who speaks French, German, & Alsatian.
Why the Owner Chose Weymouth, MA, USA:
the easy access to the city oombined with a sense of quiet, peace, and privacy unheard of this close to the city, and even a feeling of proximity to and oneness with nature with the ocean, trees, little animals and birds, made me fall in love. the sense of spirit, uniqueness, warmth, and artisanry of the house made me addicted.
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
This house has many nooks & spaces for people to feel free & easy while working or relaxing separately, as well as places to come together for socializing.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Our beach at night is visual poetry.
A sample of our in-house art gallery.
Go back in time, the water is fine.
The cottage room is charming simplicity.
The Treehouse Room is like sleeping in the clouds (for 4+ guests).
Culture is the 4th secret to Happily.
The living room in one of many incarnations.
The Yellow Room is luxurious rusticity!
Get some writing done at your desk.
Relax in peace and contemplate the universe.
Quirky quaint - it's the new black.
Mr. Sketchy welcomes you.
The bunnies are waiting!
This listing was first published here in 2014.
Date last modified - Thursday, December 01, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.