Please consider the following guidelines when booking this property:
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
awful experience - go anywhere else
This was one of the worst experiences I had staying in a house. We rented it for 2 nights for a hefty price, but stayed only one:
- Upon walk in, we see mice traps all over the house. Every 9 ft or so. I would say there were about 10. How you could rent a house with mice traps in it, is beyond me. This was also dangerous as we were traveling with little children.
- Heating system would make a very loud noise every 10 mins or so, impossible to sleep.
- The place was dusty, had a toilet smell, and stained carpets. There were random items all over the place, so messy.
- Kitchen was absolutely disgusting. All appliances and utensils were old, pans had peeling liners, knifes didnt cut anything, plates and cups were chipped. We used a kettle and it had black stuff come out of it together with water. Cabinets and drawers were falling apart. No garbage can in the kitchen or anywhere on first floor at all. Smelled like toilet everywhere too.
- There was a dehumidifier that took up the entire bathroom and was emptying in the shower. So could only use one of two bathrooms for the 3 bedroom house.
- All the bedrooms are actually downstairs, sort of like in the basement, but they do have windows.
-We wanted to leave right away and get a nearby hotel, but arrived very late the first night, so decided to just suck it up and stay.
The next and last night when driving up in a 4 wheel drive vehicle, we could not get uphill to the house because it was too slippery. The road on which the house is located is not maintained regularly. We had to leave the car in the middle of the road and walk 1 mile with in complete darkness to get our stuff. We left without staying the second night.
Any other option in the area or even staying further away from Stratton would have been better than staying here. I cannot understand how this property can be rented or lived in. I am very surprised that the reviews were relatively positive. Pictures, while reflected of parts of the house do not convey the property well.
Overall, my family and I loved the house, especially the location. The owner was great and allowed us to bring our dog with us. We primarily hiked so we weren't home during the day very much. Having a washer, dryer and full kitchen are Very important to us when looking at places. We didn't watch tv all week and our cell phones even had minimal service (mine actually said no service when in the downstairs portion of the house). If we visit Vermont in the winter this place is ideal!
Great Trip, Close to the Mountain
We had a great stay up at this secluded mountain chalet for over a week. It was located close to the mountain, less than 10 minutes. A plow truck came the one day we got more then a dusting of snow and plowed the driveway in less then 5 minutes, and even towed out our car when we backed it into a ditch. The roads to the mountain were plowed and salted after each snow during the week. I would suggest driving a awd or 4wd vehicle to/from the mountain if there is any significant snow on the ground, otherwise the roads are manageable.
Fireplace works very well and there is a full kitchen with pots and pans to cook with. The TV did not support HDMI so we brought our own. AT&T cell phone service was a bit spotty, Verizon and T-mobile seemed to work fine. Other then that we had a great stay and look forward to coming back.
An excellent value property. Huge space (probably could sleep 10 people if you wanted to). Great secluded location in the woods but 10 still minutes to stratton slopes. Nice fireplace.
Some things worth noting that we wish we would have been aware of:
-hot water was not running when we arrived but Alfin was very responsive the next day and told us how to fix it
-you probably need an SUV. Luckily we drove a hummer but we still got stuck in freezing rain conditions. The roads can get quite dangerous so be careful.
-There is no internet (we were well aware of this) but even all major carriers have extremely limited reception. This is great for a retreat, but if you have to work remotely or access the internet for some reason, it will be difficult.
All in all, would definitely stay again here now that we are aware of these things.