Rome: Testaccio House 'in the Heart of the Ancient Rome'
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2-5 nights
- Property type:Apartment
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Testaccio is famous for night life, pubs, discos, restaurants, wine locals (Il Bucatino, Lo Scopettaro, Da Felice, Oio a casa mia, Agustarello, da Checchino, La Torricella, Osteria bottiglieria, Osteria degli Amici, da Remo, Nuovo Mondo Via Vespucci, Antico Forno Marucci Via Vespucci, Il Cantinone.)
In front of the house there is Piazza (Square) S. Maria Liberatrice with a children park.
Visit the famous Volpetti's delicatessen just a short walk from the Casa (in Via Marmorata) with its fantastic range of foodstuffs and its wonderful smells. The staff are great and will help you with your choices. Homemade delights such as Arancini, Supplì, Filetto di Baccalà are highly recommended.
On Sunday the famous Porta Portese market is only a few minutes stroll away with its massive stock of clothes, shoes, handbags, bric-a-brac, car parts, bikes and everything else you can think of.
If you are fortunate enough to be in town when the local team is at home, bus 280 from outside the apartment will drop you at the Stadio Olimpico. By the way, there is only one team in Rome as far as the Testaccio district is concerned. – ROMA team and not LAZIO team !
There are many local places to eat and the food is authentically Roman.
The area around Monte Testaccio is a hub for nightlife with many pubs, bars and clubs as well as nice restaurants nestling into the hill. There is also a busy cinema, The Greenwich and the Teatro Vittoria in the heart of Testaccio.
When you need to kick-start your day with coffee and a pastry, you can begin in the best pastry of the area LINARI in Via Zabaglia in front of the church (a bit in the left).
Casa Testaccio is a delightful base for a different kind of Roman holiday offering a chance to see beneath the crowded touristy areas (whilst having all that nearby if you want it) and allowing you to feel part of the local life of the city.
TRANSPORTS AND HOW TO ARRIVE AT CASA TESTACCIO
You can arrive
• OSTIENSE Train Station (departures/arrivals) from/to Fiumicino Airport Leonardo Da Vinci; there's also shuttle bus for Ciampino airport (low cost flights). Termini main train station is far about 10/15 min. by bus – metro – train.
• Subway line B “PIRAMIDE” ;
• Subway BEACH line “PORTA SAN PAOLO - PIRAMIDE” for Ostia beach (directly seaside get out at terminal Cristoforo Colombo or Ostia Antica for Roman Forum).
• TAXI (each taxi can take 4 people; the price is established by the law and it’s 48 €. From/to Fiumicino Airport and 30 €. from/to Ciampino Airport;
• PRIVATE TAXI from/to the Airport at the same price of a public taxi. You can choose this taxi if you are more of 4 people so with a Shuttle you arrive all together and easily because the driver will wait for you inside the airport (after customs doors) with a panel with your name. Go with him he takes you home without problems !!!
• BUS SHUTTLE: Daily connection with public transport between the airport and the railway station Roma Termini is carried out by bus companies ATRAL, COTRAL, SIT and TERRAVISION, parked in the appropriate places in front stalls “Aerostazione” International Departures.
• BUS LINES:
3 (Trastevere, Piramide, Circo Massimo, Colosseo, Fori Imperiali, la Basilica di S. Giovanni in Laterano, Villa Borghese, Bioparco zoo);
30 EXPRESS (bus super fast at 1 stop Subway Piramide and Ostiense Train Station, Bocca della Verità, at 2 Piazza Venezia, at 3 Largo Argentina and Corso Vittorio Emanuele, at 4 Piazza Navona and Senato della Repubblica, at 5 the area of Prati famous for shopping)
280 (Piramide, Ostiense train Station, Isola Tiberina, Bocca della Verità, Trastevere, Lungotevere, Castel Sant’Angelo, Ara Pacis, Basilica di San Pietro, Piazza Cavour, Stadio Olimpico, area Prati)
23 (Piramide, Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura, Basilica di San Pietro, Trastevere, Isola Tiberina, Bocca della Verità, Castel Sant’Angelo, Ara Pacis, area Prati)
75 (Trastevere, Piramide, Circo Massimo, Colosseo, Fori Imperiali, Stazione Termini, Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore, Monteverde, Gianicolo fantastic by night a great landscape!!!)
83 (Piramide, Bocca della Verità, Circo Massimo, Teatro Marcello, Piazza Venezia, Via del Corso, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza di Spagna, Parlamento, Galleria Colonna, Via Veneto, Villa Borghese)
170 (EUR, Viale Marconi very good shopping, Bocca della Verità, Piazza Venezia, Via Nazionale, Quirinale in which lives the President of the Republic and Scuderie del Quirinale, Stazione Termini)
781 (area Magliana and Viale Marconi very good for shopping, Bocca della Verità, Piazza Venezia)
716 (Bocca della Verità, Teatro Marcello, Piazza Venezia, Piramide, la Stazione and la Via Ostiense rich of pubs, night clubs and discos, la Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura, la Garbatella;
673 (Piramide, la Stazione and Via Ostiense, il Porto Fluviale, la Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura, area Aventino, il Circo Massimo, le Terme di Caracalla, la Basilica San Giovanni in Laterano, Via Appia Nuova very good shopping);
118 (Bocca della Verità, Aventino, Circo Massimo, Terme di Caracalla, Porta San Sebastiano, Appia Antica and Parco della Caffarella, Dominae Quo Vadis, Catacombe di San Callisto and others catacombs, Basilica di San Sebastiano, Tomba di Cecilia Metella, Fosse Ardeatine);
Member since: 2012
- On floor 1
- 80 m²
- Elevator : Elevator-Lift - Remember to close the doors
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Private Chef
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only:
- Pets Not Allowed:
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 5-8
- Sofas are both per 2 people
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- There is also the other my house of vacation for 5 people not far from Casa Testaccio and not far from the centre of Rome and it is situated in the most important street of the area. The name is CASA BLASERNA “nel cuore dello shopping a Roma” and it’s advertised on this website. Viale Guglielmo Marconi is a long road that connects Trastevere, the historic district of Rome, with the modern district of EUR. Rome is a great place for shopping, with designer outlets and department stores all over the city. A cosmopolitan and thriving capital city for over 2000 years, Rome provides a multi-ethnic mix that is both attractive and explosive! Rome is home to a diverse array of shopping opportunities; Marconi area is the most renowned shopping Rome areas. The boulevard, full of shops, is a reference point for shopping, which the Romans from all over the big city cannot give up, and is particularly popular with young trendy Romans. The house is about 40 mts square renovated between Dec.15-Jan.16...moreless
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- Holiday Resort
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Live Theater
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Disco Club
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Dining Area
- Air Conditioning
- Coin Cabine
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Ski Locker
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Aug 17 - Aug 31, 2016
2 night min stay
Sep 1 - Sep 30, 2016
3 night min stay
Oct 1 - Nov 1, 2016
3 night min stay
Nov 2 - Dec 20, 2016
3 night min stay
Dec 21 - Dec 27, 2016
4 night min stay
Happy New Year 2017
Dec 28 - Jan 8, 2017
5 night min stay
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- WI - FI $16.72
- Refundable Damage Deposit $111.47
- SPESE PULIZIA $55.73
- Stay Tax *
* This amount will be due to the owner upon arrival. Does not apply to children under 10 years.
IMPORTANTE: Si ricorda ai clienti che il Comune di Roma ha stabilito la tassa di soggiorno pari ad €. 3,50 a notte a persona (gratis per i bambini inferiori a 10 anni).
La suddetta tassa deve essere pagata immediatamente all’arrivo (check-in) e verrà rilasciata regolare ricevuta.
Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.
From 1st September 2014 the rates will be as follows:
1,2 -Star Hotels 3 Euros per night Max 10 days
3 –Star Hotels 4 Euros per night
4 –Star Hotels 6 Euros per night
5 –Star Hotels 7 Euros per night
Bed and breakfast, Guest Houses, 3,50 Euros per night Max 10 days
Holiday Homes and Apartments
Tourist Farms and Residences 4 Euros per night Max 10 days
(*) Prices per person
Who does not have to pay? Whoever is resident in Rome, children up to 10 years of age, whoever travelling with a patient for health reasons, police officers or anyone belonging to armed forces, one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide every 23 participants group. For any info please call 060608 or visit www.turismoroma.it and www.comune.roma.it.
How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one calendar year, provided that you spend them in the same place. It will be applied for a maximum of 5 nights, if you stay in Camps sites, open air facilities and equipped park areas.
The overnight accommodation tax will help us to improve welcoming tourist services and, in particular, the income will be partly used for tourism promotion, street furniture and to make the city look better.
Help us to make Rome a more beautiful, welcoming and pleasant city!
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
The house is in the centre of Rome and situated in the most important street of the area.
I remind you that Testaccio and Trastevere (shared by the Tiber) are the most beautiful and famous districts of Rome for fun, entertainment, nightlife and to eat typical Roman cuisine.
Only by staying in these two areas you can understand life in Rome and the Romans. The house is located in a prestigious building, with elevator (1st floor) (it was built by a famous architect at the beginning of 1900’s) with the “conciergerie” service (Mr. Franco).
The nice particular of the building is that it has 2 entries/exits. Testaccio house is situated in the centre Rome very close to the Bocca della Verità, Circo Massimo, Colosseo, Fori Imperiali, Piazza Venezia (historical centre). Ideally located.
In the other side of Tevere (Tiber) there's the famous district of Trastevere full of tradition, colours, music and typical restaurants, and on Sunday there is the famous Porta Portese market, the biggest of Italy.
Testaccio is the name of the twentieth district of Rome. The name comes from the so-called "mount" (Mons Testaceus): 35 meters of fragments of pottery (testae, in Latin), and various debris, accumulated over the centuries as remainders of the transport heading to the port of Ripa Grande (Emporium).
The Emporio port worked since Roman times, and was the landing point of goods and raw materials (primarily marble, grain, wine) that arrived by sea from the port of Ostia, went up the river on barges hauled in by buffaloes which in 1842 were replaced by steam trailers.
Over the centuries, the shards of amphorae, which were used to contain wheat and liquid foods during transport, accumulated in a hill, hence the name - ancient - of Monte Testaccio or Shards Mount (“Monte dei cocci”), and the choice - modern - of the amphora as a symbol of the district. The number of stacked jars is estimated at around 25 million.
The empty jars that had contained mostly oil were broken into pieces and arranged neatly to provide stability in a stepped pyramid and sprinkled with lime to prevent odors due to decomposition of organic residues.
The marbles, which gave the name to the street Marmorata that connects the port of Ripa with Porta San Paolo, were the ones the Romans continued to import from all over the Mediterranean sea till the end of the empire, and that with the decay of Rome remained unused in large quantities, “res nullius”, for centuries as open quarry of semi-finished products of value.
Until the restoration and urban redevelopment begun after 1870, which assigned this area and along the Ostiense down to the basilica of St. Paul to industrial activities and "heavy" services (railways, slaughterhouse, general markets, gas factory moved here from Circus Maximus), the area, despite being located inside the city walls, was populated by poor farmers and shepherds, subject to floods of the Tiber and infested by malaria, which was beginning at the gates of Rome.
The apartment is located at the northern end of Via Marmorata, between the Tiber and Via Marmorata a main thoroughfare running between the Aventine Hill and the network of streets that are the heart of the Testaccio district. This location is superb giving easy access to central and historic Rome by foot, bus and metro. Also Ostiense mainline station is nearby so for getting around it is unbeatable. However its real joy is to be based in this traditional, working class area so that you feel like you are taking part in the life of the city.
Via Marmorata itself is very busy but the area behind which is the heart of Testaccio is a much more local place, where people carry out the business of their lives independently from the tourist and city hustle and bustle. There is a massive range of shops, supermarkets, bars and trattorias to cater for all your needs. At its heart is the new market which has a fantastic array of food, drink, household items and it is also famous for its shoes. As with everything in Testaccio the emphasis is on locally produced goods and supplies.
A few highlights (amongst many):
At the southern end of Testaccio near the market, visit the Monte Testaccio, a hill now fully grown over but comprising pieces of around 64 million broken olive oil jars brought into the city over the past 2,000 years. Its not open to the public generally but still well worth seeing. (visits are available on request)
Take a wonderful walk up the Aventine hill (turn left from Via Marmorata at the junction before the Post Office - itself an architectural gem) past the smart houses and apartments to the top where you can enjoy fantastic views of Rome, including the famous "Through the keyhole" view of St Peter's. You can continue on until you descend to the Circus Maximus.
Beyond the market is the site of the disused slaughterhouse that still dictates much of the local diet and fare.
Year Purchased: 2011
About the owner: Ciao live testaccio Area - the heart of Rome - Only by staying in these two areas you can understand life in Rome and the Romans.
Why the Owner Chose Rione XX Testaccio, Roma, Italy:
ROMA PASS 72H. • 2 museums • Metro, buses & trams • Discounts and reduced price ticketing for events, exhibitions and tourist services • Valid 3 days • Only 36,00 € Roma Pass, which is sponsored by Rome City Council and the Ministry for the Arts and Cultural Activities and Tourism, in collaboration with ATAC, the public transport company, is the capital’s special tourist-cultural card that enables both tourists and interested local residents, the opportunity to benefit from various discounts and services that make it easier and cheaper to enjoy the splendours of Rome. • Free entry to the first 2 visited museums and / or archaeological sites of your choice. Free admission includes the exhibition held in the museum. • Concessionary ticket to all other museums and / or archaeological sites visited thereafter. The concessionary ticket includes the exhibition held in the museum. • Free use of the city’s public transport network. Valid until midnight of the third day inclusive that of the first validation for ATAC public transport (bus, metro A, B, B1 and C and railway lines Roma -Lido, Roma Flaminio Piazza del Popolo-Viterbo, Roma-Giardinetti), within the territory of the Municipality of Rome. Must be completed in its entirety and is not transferable. The card must be presented at the request of control staff, together with a valid ID. All special connections tpl Atac, the railway lines Trenitalia FR, the connection Tiburtina/Termini/Fiumicino Airport, the connection Trenitalia “No stop” Roma Termini-Fiumicino Airport (Leonardo Express) and all connections to and from Fiumicino and Ciampino Airports are not included. • Discounted tickets to exhibitions, events and other collaborating operators and businesses (Roma Pass Guide). • Tourist cultural services Roma è. NOTE: The following museums are admission free: Accademia Nazionale di San Luca, Museo Carlo Bilotti a Villa Borghese, Museo della Repubblica Romana e della memoria garibaldina, Museo delle Mura,
The Unique Benefits at this Apartment:
• 1 museum • Metro, buses & trams • Discounts and reduced price ticketing for events, exhibitions and tourist services • Valid 48 hours • Only 28,00 € Buy Roma Pass 48hours Roma Pass 48 hours, which is sponsored by Rome City Council and the Ministry for the Arts and Cultural Activities and Tourism, in collaboration with ATAC, the public transport company, is the capital’s special tourist-cultural card that enables both tourists and interested local residents, the opportunity to benefit from various discounts and services that make it easier and cheaper to enjoy the splendours of Rome during 48 hours. • Free entry to the first visited museum and / or archaeological site of your choice. Free admission includes the exhibition held in the museum. • Concessionary ticket to all other museums and / or archaeological sites visited thereafter during 48 hours. The concessionary ticket includes the exhibition held in the museum. • Free use of the city’s public transport network. Valid 48 hours from the first validation for access to museums, archaeological sites and local public transport. Is valid on all means of local public transport operated by ATAC (bus, metro A, B, B1 and C and railway lines Roma -Lido, Roma Flaminio Piazza del Popolo-Viterbo, Roma-Giardinetti), within the territory of the Municipality of Rome. Must be completed in its entirety and is not transferable. The card must be presented at the request of control staff, together with a valid ID. All special connections tpl Atac, the railway lines Trenitalia FR, the connection Tiburtina/Termini/Fiumicino Airport, the connection Trenitalia “No stop” Roma Termini-Fiumicino Airport (Leonardo Express) and all connections to and from Fiumicino and Ciampino Airports are not included. • Discounted tickets to exhibitions, events and other collaborating operators and businesses. • Tourist cultural services Roma è. NOTE: The following museums are admission free: Accademia Nazionale di San Luca, Museo Villa BORGHESE
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Avoid FraudBook and pay on VRBO
To book this property, you need to complete your payment and booking through VRBO's website. We can't protect your payment against fraud and scams if you don't pay and book through VRBO.