Designer Home on Ocean Golf Course, ADA Accessible, Pool, 300 Yd to Keauhou Bay(15 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:5-7 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
About the Property
3 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, Sleeps 7
Less than 300 yards from the playground that is Keauhou Bay, this fully wheel chair accessible, 2400 SF contemporary, tropical home with 20' vaulted ceilings has a giant living-dining space, gorgeous kitchen, three bedrooms, three baths, three lanais, media and music corners, a private, solar-heated pool with wheel chair lift, and carefully selected artwork from throughout the islands. Choose from fire, water or earth themed, bed/bath suites. At night, light up the lanai and pool for a magical private experience.
Situated on the 11th fairway of a prime golf course, with high speed WiFi, four flat screen TVs and a solar heated pool, it can be tempting to just stay around this amazing house and watch the golfers through the safety-glass-paned fence that surrounds the pool and lanai, or space out with the view of the volcano, Hualalai. Don't give in to that temptation! There's too much to see and do without ever needing to get in a car!
• Walk 50 yards to see the sun set over the wild cove that is He’eia Bay.
• Walk or wheel the block to Keauhou Bay, to swim, snorkel, kayak, stand up paddle, play beach volleyball, fish (and barbecue your fish), or catch the Fairwinds, Kona’s most popular snorkel/party boat.
• Take a twenty minute walk in one direction to the island’s most popular snorkeling destination (Ka’alu’u), (and when the surf is up, some intermediate surfing).
• Go 20 minutes the other direction to the “end of the world” trail, where burial grounds, scrub brush, lava and crashing waves eclipse any thought of civilization.
• Or stay in civilization and walk 15 minutes up the hill to restaurants, shopping, movies and urgent care if you need it.
• Enjoy our bikes, boogies boards, snorkels, coolers, beach chairs, and even a beach-worthy wheelchair when you’re out and about.
• Or just give those golf clubs a work out.
Then come back to the perfect place to relax, recharge, and start it all again.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2003
- 2400 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
In our working lives, we are child advocates, providing technology to empower kids to develop resiliency and social-emotional abilities. Please never leave your child unattended by the pool. ...moreless
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed:
Total accessibility • Flat entry from three sides • Code activated, automatic front door opener • Extra wide doorways throughout (36”- 42”) • All door handles are levers • Set back kitchen sink allows wheelchair access • Burner controls on front of stove, to prevent injury reaching over • All food and dishes stored in easy pull out, soft close drawers • Tile and wood floors throughout, no carpets • Couches and beds designed for easy transfer from chair • Roll-under vanities in all three bathrooms • Two roll-in showers • All toilets ADA height • Lowered closet pole in one master bedroom closet • Ramp through palm garden from lanai • Stone walkways allow easy access to side yards • Cement ramp into garage and laundry center • Beach wheelchair available for borrowing Keauhous's small, sandy beach allows wheelchair access for swimming snorkeling, or assisted kayaking....moreless
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 7-8
- 3 spacious, beautifully appointed bedrooms. 1. Huge Master suite: Ocean theme, full accessibility • Opening, vented skylight, cross vent screens, ceiling fan • King bed • Koa headboard, side tables and large dresser • Two closets, one with lowered hanging rack for wheelchair access • Sliding doors to main lanai with pool • French doors to side lanai with lava tile • Gorgeous, contemporary-tropical linens • Carefully chosen art featuring renowned local artists • 39” flat screen TV • Air conditioning • Meditation corner 2.Second suite–earth theme • One queen, one twin bed • Teak headboard, side tables and dresser • Tropical style art work and textiles • Smaller flat screen TV 3. Third suite–fire theme • Private entrance and lanai • Open trusses in ceiling with opening, vented skylight • King Bed • Striking, contemporary textiles • Teak headboard, side tables and dresser • 32” flat screen TV • Contemporary art by Hawaiian painters and photographers ...moreless
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
- Master bath - ocean theme • Roll in 8 ft double shower with transfer bench on one side, French drains • Jacuzzi tub surrounded by a roomful of screened, jalousie windows that bring the outdoor garden in - minus the bugs • Travertine vanity, double, bamboo vessel sinks, undersink space for wheelchair • Separate enclosed toilet area; wheelchair turn-around space, handicap bars, bidet • Striking ocean images by prominent photographers • Double sided, mirror door Second bath – Earth theme • Double vanity and cut out sinks • One sink is wheelchair accessible • Combination deep soaking tub and shower • Petroglyph metal art • Double sided, mirror door 3rd bath- Fire theme (inspired by Pele) • Hanging, mahogany vanity with inlaid lava tile strips, granite vessel sink • Roll in shower naturally vented through high screens • Lava tile half-wall with cedar chair rail • Stunning aluminum print by “Volcano Man” • Deep reds, blacks and saturated blues and greens dominate here ...moreless
- Here's what we think you'll love: The best location on the island. Access to beach, golf, hiking, snorkeling, paddling, surfing, kayaking -- and this about the house: Great design: Uncluttered, clean lines; simple, natural materials; great artwork, comfortable furniture, and active sports equipment Full accessibility to all - roll in showers, extra wide doorways, ramps, levers on doors, dishes and food in pull out drawers Easy connection in community- Kitchen opens to great room; large lanai for hanging out, musical instruments; tables for 12 inside and out Space for solitude and reflection- meditation supplies and quiet shade garden Honors Hawaii - through local plants, lava stone, wood grown on island (eucalyptus, koa), artwork by local artists Care for the environment - Cooling through designed-in air flow, use of low VOC products, Energy Star appliances and fans, drought tolerant plants and lava rock to require minimal watering, support for recycling. Call us today to book....moreless
- DVD Player:
- Music Library:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Mountain View:
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
• 2 modern, glass & koa tables seat 2-4, or 6-10 -- intimacy or community • 8 koa and chrome molded chairs • 5 dimmable, hanging lanterns • Placemats, napkins, tablecloths, candles, serving dishes...moreless
- Dining Area
- Seating for 10 people
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Fitness Room / Equipment:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
• Huge, beautiful, opens to lanai • Travertine/Eucalyptus floor • 60” TV. • 9’ media bench w ottomans, multiple outlets • Leather recliner • 9”x9’ sectional seats 6-8 • Music corner w instruments...moreless
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Coffee Maker:
Dishes & Utensils:
Ceramic dishes for 10, + high quality plastic dishes for 10, + artful servers. Good pans. Both basic utensils and specialized tools (from avocado slicer to milk frother). Ninja blender, mixer etc...moreless
- Pantry Items:
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
Lanai / Gazebo:
Three lanais: 1250 square foot lanai reached through sliding doors in both living room and master bedroom. Private deck off master bedroom onto shade garden. Private lanai w table off 3rd bedroom....moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Water Sports Gear:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 16 - Apr 15, 2017
5 night min stay
Apr 16 - Jun 9, 2017
5 night min stay
Jun 10 - Aug 1, 2017
6 night min stay
Fall 2017 Low
Aug 2 - Oct 6, 2017
5 night min stay
Oct 7 - Oct 16, 2017
7 night min stay
late fall 2017
Oct 17 - Dec 10, 2017
6 night min stay
Dec 11 - Jan 31, 2018
6 night min stay
Rates are based on 4 guests; add $15 per night, per additional guest
Feb 1 - Mar 31, 2018
6 night min stay
Rates are based on 5 guests; add $15 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
5 night min stay
Rates are based on 4 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Property Damage Protection $59
- Cleaning -full $350 + tax
- Tax Rate 13.45%
Cancellation made 60 days or longer before arrival merit a full refund, cancellations 59 days or shorter before arrival get a pro-rated refund only for number of cancelled rental days that are re booked by other parties.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Car: Not Necessary
• Just 50 yards from a wild cove and 200 yards from popular Keauhou Bay, home of the champion Keauhou Canoe (Outrigger) Club, and the historic birthplace of King Kamehameha III
• A small sandy beach allows wheelchair access for swimming snorkeling, paddle boarding, kayaking and fishing.
• Beach sand volleyball court and grassy area with barbecue pits make this a destination for all age groups.
• The Fairwinds, Kona’s most popular snorkel/party boat leaves from here most days, and evening swims with the manta rays happen at least once a week.
• For those who prefer to stay warm and dry, the manta ray show can be seen from the outdoor bar at the Sheraton, a short five minute walk past the beach. You can even charter a fishing boat, or fishing kayak from here.
Year Purchased: 2013
About the owner: We fell in love with Keauhou 12 years ago, when we realized Kanaloa might be a beautiful place for Lew to spend his last years with muscular dystrophy, especially since we could roll a wheelchair right into the bay. A couple of years ago, he got a reprieve on the 'term limit,' and we decided to become a permanent part of the Keauhou Bay neighborhood. We designed a home that would be as helpful to people with disabilities as a nursing home, but would suggest nothing of that, instead combining the high style of a luxury home, with the convenience and comfort of everyday living. We will retire here some day. But for now, we both work at Ripple Effects providing kids and the adults who work with them with technology-enabled tools to privately address behavior issues and the reasons behind them. Meanwhile, we come several times a year. When we're not here, we invite you to share our dream home. Please treat it with great care. Thanks, Lew, Alice and Delphy, Lew's service dog.
Why the Owner Chose Keauhou, Kahaluu-Keauhou, HI, USA:
We wanted a single level house accessible to wheelchair users and also accessible to Keauhou Bay, which we have come to believe is the most extraordinary area on the entire island. When this house came on the market, it met those two criteria. Unfortunately, it was a wreck. We had to completely rebuild it, from the inside out. That gave us the chance to show that complete accessibility and fine design could go hand-in-hand, and both of them could pair with good environmental practices, like designing around natural air flow to cool the house. Through input with a strong group of workers and Hai On, our consulting architect, we were able to come up with a design that exceeded our expectations. It wasn't until we moved in that we also realized most mornings we have a great view of the 8000' Mountain, Hualalai. We are not golfers, but love the green space accorded from this ocean course. The neighbors are great. The house is great. And the great ocean is, well, just great.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
For people who appreciate fine design, but not the price tag usually associated with it, we offer: Elegant simplicity in a designer home that people can actually live in without breaking something. Complete wheelchair accessibility in every room. Three separate suites, so people can choose to be together or separate. Golf course location, mountain view, so close to the Bay that the impulse to swim is easy to give in to, and a kitchen to cook in, or to watch the cook in. All for a moderate price.
- Secondary: + (408) 656-7407
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Enjoy the sun, shade, pool, palms, mountain, golf, & Keauhou Bay at Hale Manukai.
Enjoy your coffee on the lanai with a view of Hualalai (3rd volcano on island
Inside enjoy a truly great, great room, opening skylights, natural stone, & wood
Enjoy the music corner, elecronic media bench, recliners for reading & chat.
Huge master bedroom has koa furniture, custom textiles, AC, great art, smart TV
Master bath has double vanity - accessibility and elegance, with ocean theme.
8 ft wide , roll in double shower w sitting bench and bars fits all needs
Petroglyphs, accessible double vanity, soaking tub w shower - a great 2nd bath!
Pele rules in colorful 3rd bath w roll-in shower, granite vessel sink, fiery decor
He'eia bay – walk 50 yards to catch the sunset. Swim when calm. Surf when not.
Tennis anyone? Great courts 5 min walk from Keauhou Bay, open to public; fee
Grab a snorkle & walk N 20 min to island's most popular snorkeling destination.
Contemporary, tropical exterior invites you in to spacious, designer home.
Poolside w golf course in background, outdoor dining seats up to 12, barbecue
Elegant, yet comfortable living-dining area w 3 sections maximizes flexibility
Cook up a storm in this kitchen that marries high design with full accessibility
Hall through master suite leads to your private lava tile lanai and shade garden
Soak in your Jacuzzi surrounded by fresh air and palms - without the bugs.
Who gets the 2nd bedroom, w queen + twin, and the Tommy Bahama look.
Use this dramatic 3rd bedroom with lanai and private entrance as a second master
Walk or wheel down the ramp through palm grove from lanai to side garden
Keauhou Bay, walk a block to swimming, SUP, kayaking, fishing, snorkel boats.
Walk 12 more minutes south to 'end of the world' hike & historic burial grounds.
What can we say? After a hard day at play, relax, take a break. Then start again
This listing was first published here in 2015.
Date last modified - Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.