About the property
- Apartment915 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay3 nights
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 6
• The secured apartment is ground level and has all the necessities you may need for your stay. Coffee, teas and some basic breakfast items are provided in addition there are condiments and spices etc, if you prefer to prepare your own meals. While there is no dishwasher there are a full range of appliances both big (gas stove) and small including a rice cooker and a waffle maker, there is also a washer & dryer within the apt.
• Yes, towels and bed linens are supplied, there is an Iron & iron board to make your outfit niftier and no apt is complete without a First Aid kit! There is also two hairdryers and a necessity for today’s world: WIFI! A recent addition is safety rails in the bathroom.
• There is ample Washington related literature in the apt for guest to peruse. Kids are not forgotten as there are board games and toys for there entertainment. Sorry there is no
• Weather permitting, there is a back patio and gas grill for my guest to relax and use, it also provides a relaxing area for smokers.
• There is non- competitive street parking directly opposite the apt, I have been providing my guest with a “Temporary Visitor Parking Permit” courtesy DC Gov’t which has allowed them to park there for their entire visit without fear of being ticketed.
• Grocery Shopping: There is a local Safeway about a 15 minute walk up Benning Rd, however as it is more convenient to shop at the Harris Teeters which is obliquely opposite the Potomac Ave Metro Station; 2 stops and 6 minutes away where there is also a large Safeway supermarket. There is also a Costco conveniently located at the Pentagon City Metro Station and yes I do have a shopping cart in the apt for bulk shopping. There is another Costco within driving distance (max 15 minutes), this one, to the joy of every Washingtonian sell alcohol! For those that prefer organic products there is the Sun Market and a Trader Joe’s plus an old style market (a must visit on weekends!) near the aptly named Eastern Market Metro Station and Whole Foods near Foggy Bottom Metro Station.
• I recommend using the Metro while here in DC. The apt is very near to the Benning Rd Metro Station (0.13 mile/021km) which is served by both the Blue& Silver lines; All the major historical sites such as the Capitol Building, Library of Congress the many Smithsonian Museums and the White House are directly on the route of the Blue and Silver lines the exception being the National Zoo which is on the Red line.
• Arlington Cemetery, the Pentagon and Reagan National Airport are all directly connected to the Blue Line route, while there is a shuttle bus linking the Silver line to Dulles Airport. DC is also a walking friendly city; it is small, with great leafy neighborhoods to explore, and a monument around each corner.
• Other than the conveniently situated metro station (3 minutes walk max!) there is the 96/97 Bus line that plies East Capitol Street which is directly behind the apt, the 97 route takes you via the beautiful and historic Capitol Hill neighborhood(worth exploring) to the Folgers Shakespeare Library, Library of Congress (Jefferson building is a must see!) Supreme Court, the Capitol Building ending at Union Station. The 96 Bus also goes to the National Cathedral via Union Station and the trendy U St corridor. It is an inexpensive way of viewing DC’s interesting communities and landmarks.
• The neighborhood is in transition (judge for yourself) other than the newly renovated Denney’s Restaurant, a 711 Convenience Store, the newly established Shrimp Boat Plaza and some takeout shops in the not too appealing Benning Plaza, there nothing needing exploration in the area. Yes it’s safe to walk from the metro station even late at night, the street is brightly lit and no, you will not encounter people idling on your route from the metro station to the apt, however If you are not comfortable sharing the pavement with people of color, my apt is not for you. Be advised; DC is a wonderful diverse city with an international flavor and 40% of the population being African American!
Wayne Toy Him
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- May 19, 2018
About Wayne Toy Him
A creative and energetic self employed armchair traveler who enjoys living in Washington DC and exploring not only the well know sites but it's many hidden gems, want and willing to share them with all! I enjoy coffee, wine and good company!
Wayne Toy Him purchased this Apartment in 2001
Why Wayne Toy Him chose Capitol View
Proximity to Metro! The area (not DC nicest) may lack charm, a distinct personality and trendy spots but that 2 minute walk to the Benning Metro Station overshadows any lack of aesthetics! Estimated time by Metro from the Apt to the following destinations: Destinations are all on the Blue and Silver lines, no transferring required! 6 minutes to Eastern Market: Restaurant District of Capitol Hill and Barrack Row. 8 minutes to Capitol South: the Library of Congress, the Capitol Building and the Supreme Court. 14 Minutes to the Smithsonian Station: Freer Museum, Shackler Gallery & the Smithsonian Castle 18 minutes to Farragut West: the White House, the Renwick Gallery & DAR Constitution Hall and Museum. For more information visit;WWW.WMATA
What makes this Apartment unique
Me, the host/guide living in the upstairs apt, willing to offer assistance to making my guest visit enjoyable and stress free.Flexible arrival and departure time with reason.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
All the nice things you read about this appartment and Wayne are true. Great location 1-3 min walk to the metro. We felt safe in this appartment and walking to and from the metro. Our 2 year old was with us and did not have any problems. Wayne was so kind, helpfull and knowlagable. I would like to stay here again.
Easy access to DC, all details thought of
Wayne's apartment is carefully stocked with everything a traveler would need to feel totally at home while on the road. Combine this with the very easy access to a very quiet metro line and Wayne's skill as an attentive but unintrusive host made this a perfect site for our trip. The beds are comfortable, everthing was clean. I considered giving 4 stars because the neighborhood, while pleasant and friendly, does not offer much in the way of restaurants or sites of interest. Wayne helped mitigate this by stocking the refrigerator with food for us upon our arrival. Seems like 5 stars to me. Honestly, unless you want to be in the middle of the city, I cannot recommend Wayne's apartment enough.
The best part of our stay was our extraordinary host Wayne !
From the moment I received confirmation of my reservation, Wayne went out of his way to make our Washington DC experience positive and pleasant. Knowing we'd be arriving
late, he assured us that would not be a problem, and sent detailed instructions about using public transportation to get to apartment from airport. He texted to be sure we had arrived and checked whereabouts en route. He had light on and greeted us warmly when we got to his place
He not only explained the Metro system, but took us to station, and accompanied us to our stop...which he had researched in advance...then escorted us to the tour bus we had booked! He looked up information about the return trip to the airport as well, leaving a note on the door the night before departure. Exceptional service!
The apartment was comfortable and supplied with every thing one could need, from personal care items to laundry soap and 1st aid. There was well organized tourist information about sight seeing, restaurants, transportation, and games, writing material, even umbrellas. Wayne provided a rotisserie chicken and breakfast makings, coffee and condiments, and while we did little cooking, we had all we needed to do so...plenty of pots and pans, dishes, and servingware.
The location was so convenient and close to both the Metro and bus, a quick ride to most attractions we wished to see.
Were I to visit DC again, I would definitely stay at this property. Wayne was a charming,friendly, helpful, engaging host, who from booking to departure attended to every need. If I could give Wonderful Wayne higher than 5 stars, I would. I am grateful for all he did and provided to make his home feel like ours during our DC visit.
Thank you Wayne!
Mixed reactions to this place
First of all, I must say that Wayne is the perfect host. His communications were prompt and he was so helpful. He provided food for us so we didn't have to go out for dinner the first night or ever have to go out for breakfast. He goes above and beyond to provide service to his guests.
The reason our review is mixed is that there were some things about the place that made it difficult. The sofa was uncomfortable; you could feel the slats through the cushions. The bed was too soft. The toilet was finicky. There wasn't cable TV so we couldn't relax with what we are used to. The place is run down and old. However, it was clean and we appreciated having a washer and dryer.
Although the metro was a close walk away, neither my sister nor I would have felt comfortable walking there alone. We're not prejudiced but in the current cultural climate sometimes the relationship between African-Americans and whites isn't as civil as it used to be. Sadly, that was something we felt we had to consider.
I'm sorry that we just wouldn't feel comfortable coming to this place again because we really appreciated Wayne's efforts to provide for us.
I try my best to insure my guest have a great stay at my apt and an enjoyable visit to DC. Many of my guests have made recommendation which I’ve accepted and implemented. Granted the apt is old but I’ve tried upgrades over the years however there is no bait and switch, the photos and description clearly and honestly indicate what the apt looks like and neighborhood it is in.
I have hosted very many wonderful and amicable diverse guests over the years; unfortunately Mrs. Werhanowicz does not fall into that category . From the moment of her arrival I knew that hosting Mrs. Werhanowicz would not be a rewarding experience.
I have checked the sofa but still cannot understand how one can feel the slats of the sofa/ futon through a 6 inch non foam futon mattress. Further, I would have provided an additional padded mattress cover as I would normally do, if Mrs. Werhonwicz had informed me she was hosting additional guest (not listed in her reservation) who required the use of the futon.
The mattresses on the beds are each covered with a 4” memory form mattress cover which guest are free to remove if it does not meet their comfort level and many do. I’m sorry Mrs. Werhanowiez was not made aware of that.
I will continue to monitor the toilet, but since Mrs.Werhanowicz departure there have been guest staying in the apt and there has not been any problem with the it.
My description indicates there is no cable in the apt; I apologize for not indicting so clearly.
This was a great choice for us. The property exceeded our expectations.
Wayne is the most gracious and meticulus host. He had stocked the fridge with a cooked chicken and all that was necessary for the first evening meal. The metro station is very close and a great way to explore the city. We are a couple in our seventies and felt very safe in the area and using public transport. Fantastic experience in Washington.
We all enjoyed our time, Wayne certainly makes the holiday. He had left us some food for when we arrived and put a lot of bits and pieces in the fridge for us. We used the metro all the time, so easy and on time!
Not the best of area's especially at night!
Thanks for your generous review.I hope you did not witness any incident to feel unsafe in my minority majority neighborhood.
Denny's Restaurant and a 7 11 convenience store are near to the apt, also the Shrimp Boat Plaza,plus a well stocked liquor shop in a not too great location. There is a great variety of restaurants and bars available in the trendy Capitol Hill/Barracks Row Area at the Eastern Market Metro, an 8 min trip away!
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
No pets, sorry