Classic Bungalow in North Portland(8 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:Bungalow
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
Bungalow, 4 Bedrooms, 1 Bath (Sleeps 8)
Note, an additional tiny guest house is for rent behind this house. at 250sqft, its cozy but fully equipped with a small kitchen, bath and sleeping loft. Let me know if you'd like to book both. It is managed and booked separate.
No rooms are in a basement. The house is a classic Bungalow on a quiet street in North Portland. This area is rapidly gentrifying and this home is located between three happening neighborhood centers Mississippi, Alberta and Williams it was originally built in 1944. The house is about 1300 sqft spread over 2 floors.
Overall, the house has 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a joined living/dining space and a small kitchen. The main floor has 2 bedrooms, a california king and a double sized beds. The second floor has a queen and single bed in one room and an additional bedroom is private TV room with a slide out-pop up convertible sofa mattress.
It's a pretty simple house but there are some highlights you won't find in other listings.
-The kitchen is well stocked with everything you'd need to prepare a great meal on the new gas range. Pots, pans, utensils, dishes, Vitamix, Kitchenaid mixer. There's a wonderful small grocery store about 5 minutes walk away, Cherry Sprout Produce. There, you can buy the basic fruits, veggies, meats, bulk items and a handful of specialty foods, beer and wine too.
-The living room has a working fireplace (including firelogs), you can relax on the beautiful leather couch and rock out to Bluetooth speakers.
-The round wooden dining room table has three additional leaves if you'd like to accommodate more than four people for group meals.
-The cozy TV room has a new 55' Samsung Smart TV that connects to wifi, HBO GO and receives 20+ HD channels. The couch is basically brand new pullout style bed from Ikea.
-The downstairs bedroom has a firmer Tempurpedic California King mattress.
-The bathroom is restored with modern fixtures and an original tub/shower. We do provide dish soap but don't provide shampoo or conditioner so please bring your own toiletries. Fresh towels are included.
-The furnace is new and efficient and all the exterior walls have been air sealed and insulated.
Access to major freeways (I-5, I-405, I-84) is very close plus parking is free on the street. Two things you won't find in some parts of the city. Traffic further outside of this central city core, into SE Portland can cost you an additional 20 - 45 min of congestion during rush hour.
Public transit (light rail and bus) is dependable inexpensive and convenient, checkout the trimet website to plan your route (there's also an app).
If you don't have a car there's two Zipcars nearby. There's also car2go. I also suggest bike rentals for a day or more, there are safe and convenient bike lanes that run throughout the city.
Here are my suggestions for places to see and delicious food in Portland proper and within a few hours drive. Since Portland is known for Rain (and sometimes Sun), I'm going to break this out into two categories. Rain and Sun.
---On a RAINY DAY------------------------------------
1. Brewery Tours
2. McMenamins Kennedy School
4. Shows (Music/Theatre)
5. Powells City of Books
1. Brewery Tour: There's a free brewery tour at Widmer brewery. Fridays at 2:00pm & 3:00pm
Saturdays at 12:00pm, 1:00pm, 2:00pm & 3:00pm Sundays at 1:00pm & 2:00pm
RESERVATIONS REQUIRED / GROUP SIZES ARE LIMITED Online search to call the Widmer Brewery ext. 7201. Once your reservation is confirmed, please plan to meet your tour at the Widmer Brothers retail store prior to your tour start time. Close toed shoes are required to participate in our brewery tours. N Portland
2. McMenamins Kennedy School has been adapted from a former Elementary School into a unique community space. Classrooms have been converted into restaurants, cigar rooms and bars, while the gym was converted to a movie theater, a large outdoor soaking pool is great for relaxing in an oasis with friends on a rainy day. You won't find this anywhere else, a classic Portland spot.
3. If you need a gift, some good shops are: Canoe (Downtown) has well designed and made objects and crafts, Powells city of Books (Downtown) full of real paper books, Poler (Downtown) is a stylish and funky local clothing company, Patagonia (NW Portland) you know, Schoolhouse Electric (NW Portland) has classic furniture and gifts, Worn Path (N Portland) is like an outdoor bohemian guy started a little shop up and makes cool printed shirts and clothing. Ace Hardware (N MLK) for things you really need.
4. Shows. You'll find good music all over. Check out the Portland Mercury or Willamette Week for suggestions specific to your timing. My favorite venues are The Wonder Ballroom, The Crystal Ballroom, The Aladdin, Tugboat Brewery has jazz on Fridays, There's Irish fiddling at the County Cork on Fridays and Saturdays. For theatre, look to Portland Center Stage online for current shows.
5. Powells is a building the size of an entire city block 4 floors tall, full of books. Must see. Downtown.
6. Voodoo Donuts - Mouthwatering selection of donuts... bacon maple bar. Downtown.
1. Hiking Forest Park
2. Drinking beer on a rooftop
3. Driving out to the Columbia River Gorge
4. Hike and soak in Carson
5. Timberline Lodge - ski year round
6. Cycle Portland Bike Tour
7. The Beach
1. Hiking nearby. Try Forest Park for a walk/hike, there's a maps online if you search for them. The Wildwood Trail or Leif Erickson trail are my favorites.
2. Drink beer and gaze out over the city. A swanky rooftop bar called Departure is at the top of the Nines Hotel downtown. You can get a good perspective of the city, rivers and Mount Hood. It's worth a look. Stoneburner Brewery is excellent on Mississippi, a 15 min walk away.
3. Outside the city, consider a waterfall hike in the Columbia River Gorge, horsetail falls is one of my favorites, or Eagle Creek Trail. Directions are available online.
4. There are also funky mineral hot springs at a funky old lodge along the wind river in Carson, Wa. About an hour and 20 minute drive. you soak in an 8 foot clawfoot tub.
5. Timberline lodge is pretty amazing if you want to drive to the top of Mount Hood. About an hour and a half. It's a historic restored ski lodge built during the WPA. You can ride the chair lift to the upper glacier for a good view on a nice day sightseeing or skiing is open year round. To make a day of it have lunch at timberline and find a hike or snowshoe up on Mt Hood. Topo maps and guides are available at REI in the Pearl District.
6. Cycle Portland is owned by my friend Evan. Tell him Andrew sent you there and you will get the special treatment for renting Bikes by the hour, day or week.
7. The Pacific Ocean is about an hour and a half drive west on HWY 26. Suggest Canon Beach or Manzanita beach for strolling, picnic, frisbee on the beach. Check online for directions.
8. Good urban parks for picnics, strolling, napping, relaxing, people watching: Tom McCall Waterfront Park, Tanner Springs Park, Laurelhurst Park, Mt. Tabor Park and my favorite Keller Fountain downtown.
Relative to the city, the tiny house is located in North Portland:
1- 8 minute walk to Mississippi Ave,
2. 15 minute walk to the Arts district on Alberta St
3. 15 min walk to Williams Ave corridor.
Mississippi, Alberta and Williams. These are the three neighborhood centers of North Portland, where you will find all the amazing authentic awesomeness that makes Portland, Portland. Friendly people, delicious restaurants, beer gardens, food carts, fun unique shopping, bikes everywhere, the best coffee and art galleries.
Within the neighborhood, here are my suggestions for breakfast and lunch. I've coded these on Mississippi (M), Alberta (A) or Williams (W). Or if it's (somewhere else) that's noted, the best restaurants for dinner are dotted all around the city. I'll assume you can map these locations on your phone or laptop.
1. Albina Press - (M) - An 8 min walk, on the way to Mississippi Ave. Friendly place with cozy leather couches and good music.
2. Barista - (A)- the guy who owns this place won the espresso pull national championship. that is a real thing.
3. Ristretto - (W) - Sit outside rain or shine under the covered heated patio.
Breakfast or Lunch at:
1. Kenny & Zukes - (W) - An easy consistently good urban Jewish style deli. My go to place with rarely a wait.
2. Tasty n Sons - (W) - Incredible inventive food you won't find anywhere else. Expect a wait on weekends.
3. Gravy - (M) - Huge portions, good service but expect a wait on weekends.
4. Miss Delta - (M) - Southern Bistro with good Bloody Mary. Maybe you're a little bit hungover. This is your spot.
5. Mothers Bistro - (Downtown) - Refined comfort food. Chandeliers and wallpaper. Classic Portland.
6. Sweedeedee - (North Albina) - Just 2 blocks walk. A foodie paradise for breakfast or lunch.
1. Petite Provence - (A) - French style restaurant and bakery. Delicious and a good value.
2. Podnah's Pit BBQ - (Killingsworth) - Amazing. My personal favorite, last meal before I die kind of place.
3. Little Big Burger -(M)- Gourmet burger and fries in the center of Mississippi.
4. Lovely's 50/50 -(M)- Pizza.
1. Grain & Gristle - (N Prescott) - Neighborhood restaurant and bar. Delicious and good value.
2. Nicolas Restaurant (SE Grand Ave, NOT the one on Broadway) - Funky Lebanese, across town, great value and so delicious. Wait on weekends. Hole in the wall.
3. Bistro Montage (under the Morrison bridge)- Upscale southern creole meets mac and cheese funky and order the oyster shoote
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2015
- 1500 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Car Available
- Children Welcome
- Limited Accessibility
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Botanical Garden
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Theme Parks
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Miniature Golf
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Roller Blading
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 25 - Sep 30, 2017
3 night min stay
Rates are based on 6 guests; add $10 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $500
- Cleaning $95 + tax
- Tax Rate 13%
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
About the owner: Originally from the small town of Port Townsend, Washington on the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula... but I've lived in Portland for over ten years now. While I do like the convenience of living in a city, I like to camp out under the stars, float rivers, swim and surf.
- Primary: +1 5033606206
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Guest House behind main house - ask for details
This listing was first published here in 2015.
Date last modified - Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.