Character Town House at the Heart of Cultural Historic Cortona(0 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
2 Luxury double bedrooms, 2 ensuite bathrooms, cloakroom, sleeps 2 couples
Approach the solid wooden door up a cobbled alleyway, 30 metres from Cortona's only flat street, and enter the gracious sitting room with comfortable seating, pellet stove, and cloakroom off. This room, being naturally dark, in the Tuscan manner, benefits from the abundant lamps and wall lights that we have installed.
A vaulted stairway (with sturdy handrails) leads up one flight to the dining room, a bright, graciously furnished living space, cleverly combining cooking and eating, thanks to an elegant built in kitchen equipped with modern appliances. Step out from this floor into the small shady garden - a good spot to read with your morning coffee.
Continue upstairs to the two generous double bedrooms with luxury en suite bathrooms. Each bedroom has a distinct, individual character, the front bedroom being larger and grander (therefore the right choice for one couple alone) while the back bedroom is perhaps more romantic. Both enjoy soft lighting, drapes and carpets, along with comfortable armchairs.
Ceilings throughout the house are beamed in characterful Tuscan manner. The floors are quality 'cotto' (cooked tiles) with many tasteful rugs. The house is furnished to the highest standard with family antiques and pictures of the ancestors: a real 'home from home'.
2 minutes' stroll away lie Cortona's pavement cafes and excellent restaurants - not to mention its museums, art galleries, medieval churches and newly landscaped outdoor swimming pool (open June-end August). Don't be surprised to see citizens in medieval costume, participating in the City's folkloric events, and - particularly in summer - beautiful brides coming down the Comune steps.
Member since: 2006
- 120 m²
- Vacation Rental
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Considered
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- Please note, the house may be rented by 1 or 2 couples, with price variants. Both bedrooms enjoy top of the range Daiken air conditioning (which doubles as heating, to supplement the main gas central heating). When rented by one couple, we offer the slightly larger, Liberty Bedroom, so-called because of its original Liberty bedstead, with mother of pearl inlaid/painted decoration, luxury mattress topper, spectacular beamed ceiling and views across the medieval rooftops to the Sienese hills. This bedroom also houses the WiFi where guests may connect their smart devices to our broadband. A folding single bed(for child) is available in this room at no extra charge. The second bedroom is more intimate, but tastefully arranged with its original English Colonial four poster bed (c.1910) and romantic drapes. Both bedrooms have generous hanging spaces (hangers provided), chests of drawers, arm chairs and bedside rugs. Subtle designer lighting includes individually switched bedside lights....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Downstairs a cloakroom with loo and basin affords space for hanging coats, and houses a top of the range front loading washier/drier. The ensuite bathroom to the Liberty Bedroom has a curved glass enclosure shower and elegant bronze effect fittings, along with quality sanitary ware (toilet, basin and bidet). The ensuite bathroom to the Four Poster Bedroom has a small bathtub with glass shower enclosure,with curtain, elegant chrome fittings, and quality sanitary ware (toilet, basin and bidet). Top quality bathsheets, handtowels and bathmats are provided weekly. ...moreless
- Our historic house is restored to the highest standard. The property houses our family antiques which you are welcome to enjoy (and treat with respect, please!). All kitchen fittings and appliances are new. E-mail us for our website with further details/photos. Parking outside the city wall is close by an escalator which brings you up to a piazza 100 metres from our house. Cortona has small shops, and a little Spar Store, more than adequate for daily needs. For serious groceries we suggest one of the two supermarkets 3 km down the hill in modern Camucia. Market day in Cortona is Saturday, Thursday in Camucia. Many arty shops and coffee bars close from 1-4, staying open till late into the evening. Cortona has a beautifully landscaped, open air pool, on a south facing hilltop behind the town, reasonably priced for a day or half day visit, no more than 10 minutes walk from our house. Above all the restaurants are plentiful and good: you could choose a different one each night!...moreless
- Live Theater
- Water Parks
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Freshwater Fishing
- Mountain Biking
- Seating for 6 people
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 3 - Apr 14, 2017
3 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $27 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $106.79
- No additional mandatory fees
- Taxes Not included
- Stay Tax *
* This amount will be due to the owner upon arrival. Does not apply to children under 12 years.
City hospitality tax is currently taken for the first 4 days only of any stay.
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Historic Cortona towers over the Val di Chiana with fast road and rail links to Rome and Florence. Enclosed by mighty walls, this Medici stronghold with its maze of alleyways, is packed with medieval churches, palaces and piazzas - pageants and festivals! In May Cortona celebrates the festival of Santa Margherita, along with the Presentation of symbolic candles by the 5 Quintieri, or parish zones. The Medieval Week and Crossbow Festival are in June, and the Cortona Mix Festival - great entertainment, with participation - late July/early August, for which our house is perfectly situated!
Cortona's Archaeological Museum is justifiably world famous for it enlightened layout and Etruscan tomb goods. The Art Gallery houses works by Fra Angelico and Luca Signorelli. Cultural centres within an hour's travel include Siena, Arezzo, Perugia, Assisi and Lake Trasimene, rich in work by Giotto, Duccio, Piero della Francesca and Perugino.
Cortona now produces its own wine, Cortona DOC, along with the DOCG vineyards of Montepulciano and Montalcino. Good tours and wine tasting lunches, at the nearby Avignonesi vineyard for example, can be pre-booked online.
Olive groves surround you - with new season extra virgin oil available for purchase (or shipping) while you feast on Chianino beefsteak and porcini mushrooms in Cortona's many (37!) fine, atmospheric and friendly family-run restaurants.
Cortona itself, along with its surrounding villages, hosts festivals to celebrate the many speciality products of this fertile region - all welcome.
With this abundant good food, some exercise is called for! From our front door, you can explore hilly Cortona, walking up to the Medici Fortress, past Francis Mayes' house towards Torreone, or follow in the footsteps of St Francis, towards our lively local Franciscan monastery, Le Celle, circa.1200.
Other activities include bike hire (round Lake Trasimene or into the hills); swimming, in a nicely landscaped town pool (open July/August); Italian cooking or language classes. In season there are many good concerts and shows to attend in the Neo Classical Teatro Signorelli.
We are very happy help you set things up in advance, to maximise your enjoyment of your holiday - for example, helping you book a table for dinner your first night, and/or helping you book a good English speaking guide, wine tasting lunches and tours, bike hire, museum visits etc. Or, on arrival, you can just make like an Italian and 'go with the flow'!
Year Purchased: 2006
About the owner: We're English, so language is no problem! After working for 5 years in Naples, we found Cortona the perfect place to settle. The Cortonese are so welcoming and friendly. Not only is it a wonderful location for sightseeing, but over the years we've got involved in local life, participating in pageants, choirs and orchestra.
Why the Owner Chose Cortona, Arezzo, Italy:
We bought the house in the hills first - where we mostly live. We were so happy in the Cortona area, we decided to bring the family antiques out to enhance this second beautiful property which we found at the heart of Cortona. So though the house (dating from the 1400s) is new to us, the family furniture (unashamedly English) has been passed down through the generations.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
We love being so close to Cortona's bustling street cafes and nightly 'passeggiata' - yet the house itself is so quiet, its thick medieval walls keeping us cool in summer, and retaining heat in winter. We find the house a real haven to come back to. Chiefly we love its atmosphere, and authentic architectural features, and real sense of history.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Enter our late medieval home under carved stone (Latin reads 'restructured 1608)
Comfortable sitting room
Dining and reclining on first floor
Superking,his and hers, Liberty bed in Master bedroom
Space in Master bedroom for cot/put-you-up bed (available)
Rooftop view of Val di Chiana from the Master bedroom window
Curious Tuscan double-beamed ceiling
Small shady garden - unusual at the heart of town
Kate and Andrew participate in a medieval procession through the Piazza
Street music - in Ruga Piana ('Flat wrinkle') at the bottom of our alleyway
The Enoteca where local wine experts serve, and undertake shipping orders
At the top of the Comune steps, what a backdrop the piazza makes for a wedding!
Very central location - but so quiet!
Sittingroom looking towards cloakroom/utility area
Craftsman built kitchen conveniently placed in dining area
Air Conditioned Master Bedroom
Ensuite Bathroom to Master Bedroom
Romantic drapes in second bedroom
The Comune (Town Hall) dating from 1200
Crossbow contest: the winning Quintiere (can you spot us?)
Via Janelli - the oldest street in town
One of Cortona's many weddings, bride and groom coming down the Comune steps
The stage in Teatro Signorelli, which hosts festivals, plays, concerts
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.