Beautifully renovated 18thC Presbytere, in a very small hamlet in the AOC Malepere wine region. Secluded garden with large pool and outdoor BBQ seating area, overlooking rolling countryside to the often snow-capped Pyrenees in the distance. Sleeps a maximum of 16 people in 7 large bedrooms, with 7 bathrooms. The whole house is spacious and light and has a generous air. Past guests always comment on how the photographs do not do the house or garden justice.
- House3229 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Min Stay3 - 7 nights
7 Bedrooms and 7 Bathrooms in Private, Large, Light and Spacious 18thC Presbytere in Rural Idyll near Mirepoix
- english, french
- Calendar last updated:
- Jun 13, 2018
Martin and Caitriana have lived in this part of France since 2005 and they LOVE it! Waking up every morning to glorious views, eating seasonally from our organic potager and the fantastic local markets, the quality of life here is simply outstanding. There are so many things to do and places to explore - it really is simple pleasures all the way.
Caitriana purchased this House in 2000
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 3:30 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Special interest holidays:
The house is an ideal base for groups of friends to come for a creative and relaxing break in this most historic part of France.
Painting, photography, markets, cheeses, truffles, patisserie, wines, Cathar castles, the "Da Vinci Code" and "Labyrinth" mysteries, the history of the Crusading times all instantly spring to mind.
Sporting weeks - walking, cycling, skiing, white-water rafting, fishing, golfing, horse riding, canyonning, sailing and kayaking are all easilly accessible.
The 'Tour de France' cycle race passes nearly every year through the region with exciting finishes at Bonascre, the Plateau de Bielle or Foix.
Lac Montbel -29km, 30 mins drive from the house - this is a wonderful, wild, big, shallow lake nestling in the hills of the Ariege. You can walk right round it, picnic on one of its many secluded and private "beaches" or go sailing or kayaking.
Narbonne Plage (nearest beach) - 1hr 15mins drive from the house.
As soon as you reach the Med there are lots of beach environments to choose from, heading North towards Montpellier and the Camargue and South to Perpignan and the Spanish border
Direct flights to Carcassonne from Prestwick/Cork/Dublin/Stansted/Leeds/Liverpool/East Midlands/Brussels. Car hire is essential and can be arranged at all the local airports. The nearest airport is Carcassonne (Salvaza) - 30mins, then Toulouse (Blagnac) - 1hr, Beziers and Perpignan - 1hr 30mins. Ryanair, BA and Jet2.com (Edinburgh - Toulouse) all fly to these airports. Barcelona (Girona) - 2hrs 30mins is also an option. Many people drive here or let the train take the strain.
Fanjeaux 6km / 7 mins.
Mirepoix 14km / 14 mins. Canal du Midi, Bram 17km / 18 mins.
La Cite, Carcassonne 40km/ 40 mins. Toulouse 90km / 1hr.Narbonne Plage (nearest Mediterranean beach) - 114km / 1hr 15 mins. Lac Montbel 29km / 30 mins. Lourdes - 252km / 2hrs 30 mins. Ax-les-Thermes (nearest Ski centre) 99km / 1hr 35 mins. Andorra - 147km / 2hrs 30 mins. Perpignan 152km / 1hr 35 mins. Barcelona (Girona), Spain - Airport 241km / 2hrs 30 mins.
Fanjeaux is our nearest village at 6km away. Here you will find a baker's, great butcher, chemist, small grocers, post office, hairdresser, cafe, architectural antiques shop, restaurant and bar. Fanjeaux's claim to fame is that St Dominic had his revelation here, and hence founded the Dominican Order.
Booking Notes: Your booking is confirmed, when we confirm to you that we have received your deposit of 20% of the total rental amount together with details of the dates you wish to visit the house. The remaining 80% of the total rental amount plus the cleaning and damage deposit is payable 12 weeks before the start of your holiday. We hope that smokers will go outside to smoke if at all possible. Changeover Day: Generally, our changeover day is a Saturday, but we may be flexible. We like guests to leave the house in a clean and tidy condition by 9.30am to allow us time to clean before our next guests arrive at 4pm. All bedding and towels to be left downstairs.