Penny Post Cottage, originally built in the 1800's used to be the local Tiptoe post office, it has been sympathetically extended and re-purposed over the years into a lovely family home. The cottage has picturesque gardens and comfortable living spaces with an open fire. There is off road parking for two cars and more parking available a few hundred metres up the road for any additional cars. A lockable garage for bike storage. There is a great pub a short walk up the road but it's real selling point is the peace and quiet being situated on the edge of the National Park. It's just a short drive to the coast and the ever popular market town of Lymington and of course Brockenhurst which is at the heart of the New Forest. There are ample riding schools, golf courses, bike routes (on and off road!), children's activities and of course freedom to roam across the expanse of the New Forest. Fabulous local produce available in nearby farmshops. Wifi available.
- Half Baths0
- Min Stay1 - 7 nights
Cottage in Tiptoe, NewForest, Hampshire, England - Peaceful Rural Location Surrounded By New Forest Wildlife With Great Walking, Riding And Cycling
- english, french, spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- Oct 15, 2018
About ruth nickoll
I live with my husband and two toddlers in London. We have always loved visiting the New Forest first as a couple and now as a young family. We decided in 2013 that we visited it so often we should look to take the plunge and invest in a second home so we bought and updated Penny Post Cottage. We hope our guests will enjoy it as much as we do.
Why ruth nickoll chose New Milton
As keen cyclists and walkers we love the freedom that the National Park gives to roam and the range of fantastic pubs and restaurants it has. There is a great range of local produce available in nearby farm which as a keen foodie I love to explore. We are in the process of experiencing a whole new incredibly child friendly side to the park and all the entertainments there are available. The New Forest for us is a very easy journey from London and perfect for a week's break or shorter.
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Fantastic stay .
We had a brilliant weekend in this delightful house for my husbands 60th birthday with the family. We loved the house and the location . To be able to walk straight out the back gate into the Forrest was amazing. The house was immaculate and very spacious . We definitely will be back thank you .
fabulous location and cottage
A beautiful house and gardens, straight out of the back gate into the forest, just perfect.
also only 10/15 minutes to the sea, so really is the ideal place to stay.
we will most certainly visit again.
Excellent location and facilities
The house is very well equipped and comfortable, perfect for our extended family. Opening the garden gate to walk with the New Forest ponies is an added bonus. I can highly recommend it.
Large house with plenty of facilities
Large comfortable house with plenty of room and all facilities needed, including egg cups.
The travel cot was fine for us but others might want/need the larger size a baby cot will provide. One query to the owner was answered and resolved quickly.
Well equipped and comfortable.
Ideal location for exploring the New Forest
A lovely homely cottage with everything you might need to enjoy a relaxing holiday in the New Forest. Comfortable beds, good facilities and lots of helpful information about the area. Our family came together for a wonderful week and we all had a great time including the two toddlers who loved to play in the secure garden.
7-10 minute drive to Barton on Sea or 15 minute drive to Lymington. Bournemouth is only about 20 minutes away.
Use of car is recommended as the nearest shop is about 1.5 miles away. Tescos and other supermarket chains will deliver directly to the door if you place your orders online in advance.
New Milton is about 2 miles away, Brockenhurst is about 5 miles away and Lymington is about 7 miles away.
There is a full range of shops in New Milton 5-10 minutes drive away and a small local shop in Bashley with a good range of essentials just 1.5 miles away. There is a really great farm shop called Ferndale Farm Shop a 7 minute drive away heading towards Christchurch.
Here are a few young children friendly (and adult!) activities we love when we are down there in case you would like to try them too. This isn’t meant as an exhaustive list of things to do in/near the forest as that list would be very long, just a few things we enjoy that are fairly nearby to the cottage and would like to share.
1) Our favourite beach by far is Hengistbury Head, https://www.visithengistburyhead.co.uk/Home.aspx it’s a 20 minute drive from the cottage but I think worth it. You can drive and park on the headland and take the little land train to the beach (you can walk it, it takes about 20 minutes at adult pace) - however the land train is cheap and the kids love it! Or you can take the water ferry from mudeford quay. There is a nice restaurant on the beach but I recommend booking ahead in the summer months. http://www.beachhousecafe.co.uk
2) My favourite nearby beach is Highcliff, part sandy and part stony. The restaurant at the top is ok but I recently found The Cliff House http://www.thecliffhouse.co.uk a short drive away which I enjoyed more and has occasional events and an outdoor BBQ in the summer holidays. https://www.visit-dorset.com/things-to-do/highcliffe-beach-p1141233
3) The Moors Valley Country Park I think is great value for money, with fun walks, a go ape, a great playground and a steam train all in one place you can easily make a full day of it there. I’d recommend taking a picnic as the food there is OK but not great value for money. Access is free (except for the go ape and train) you just pay for parking. Again this is about 20 mins away but good for overcast days. http://www.moors-valley.co.uk
4) My favourite seaside walk is to stroll along the Hurst Spit - it’s fair distance for little legs so there is an option to take a ferry as well. http://www.new-forest-tourist.co.uk/new-forest-walks/hurst-spit-to-hurst-castle/
5) My newest discovery was the Lymington sea water baths http://www.lymingtonseawaterbaths.org.uk - my kids (3&5) loved them, but I think older children would get even more out of it. There is a splash pool and sandpit for tiny tots! It is a short walk or drive from the town centre so ideal to combine with a lunch or dinner in Lymington. You can hire wetsuits onsite but I would recommend bringing sand shoes or jelly shoes as the bottom of the pool is pebbles and gets a bit sore if you are walking around on them.
6) There are endless walks in the new forest but my kids enjoy the deer at the Bolderwood deer sanctuary and you occasionally see pigs there too! http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/bolderwood-deer-sanctuary.html
7) Restaurants; Sometimes people ask me for restaurant recommendations here are a few I can recommend.
- Child friendly and stumbling distance home the Rising Sun up the Road offers solid pub grub with a great play area. If you are a large party, book ahead in the summer it gets busy. http://www.therisingsunbashley.co.uk
- For a romantic or more adult evening I really recommend the Mill at Gordleton. http://www.themillatgordleton.co.uk
- Near Bank this pub is well located to combine with a forest walk and the food when I have been was good http://www.oakinnlyndhurst.co.uk
- Great for combining with a nearby beach walk and with a nice big beer garden for children to run around in http://beachhousemilfordonsea.co.uk
- The Red Lion at Boldre I think also offers very good food and is worth the drive to get to http://redlionboldre.co.uk
For very special occasions I haven’t been to either The Pig or Limehouse but their reputation suggests they should be good.
Booking Notes: 200 pound refundable damages deposit. 1/2 of the booking cost is required to secure your booking, final balance is due 4 weeks before arrival. Changeover day is Friday, short stays can be agreed on negotiation and are charged at 70% of the weeks price. Deposit is non refundable on cancellation. There is a 25 pound cleaning charge for each dog. We ask that dogs are kept downstairs, off the furniture and any dog mess is cleared from the garden and surrounding area. Please do not place poo bags directly in the outdoor bins as the rubbish men will not collect these. Changeover Day: Friday. Notes on prices: Short breaks available on request typically at 70 percent of the cost of a weeks stay.