Villa Serena is a private gated home only steps to the ocean at one of the best surf spots in all of CR. 3 queen bedrooms, 2 bunk bed sets off the den area, 2 full baths, hot water, air conditioned, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hairdryer, rancho style BBQ area surrounded by lush tropical foliage, and an on sight, bilingual caretaker who will provide fruit and coffee for you each morning. Enjoy sipping your coffee while watching the macaws fly by and plan the adventures of your day ahead.
3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Sleeps 8
- Calendar last updated:
- Dec 7, 2018
Why Owner chose Barrio Los Villalobos
On sight caretaker to assist with questions about the area as well as serves you fresh fruit and coffee each morning. Steps to the beach and walking distance to shops, food and casino.
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
Good place to stay, but has room for improvement
Overall, I would describe our stay as good, but with important needs for improvement. On the positive side, Holly and Chappie’s home was:
- Convenient location – About 20-minute walk and a 5-minute taxi ride to all the main restaurants and bars. Less than 5 minutes walk to the beach which was awesome.
- Spacious living – The house has three bedrooms and two bathrooms with a spacious living room/dining area. The house also has a small side room with 2 bunk beds that could sleep an additional 4 people if needed.
- Beautiful landscaping – The house is inside of a beautiful walled garden with patio and grill. Plenty of space to park a car and hang out outside.
- Coordination – The caretaker was easy to work with to ensure easy arrival and checkout.
However, there are some opportunities to improve:
- Cleanliness – The home was tidy, however, there is room for improvement to eliminate the ants and geckos in the house. Also, the second-floor shower head was corroded and should be replaced.
- Privacy - Although well-intentioned, the caretaker is omnipresent which can make guests feel like they don’t have a private space to themselves. Moreover, the caretaker was a little bit aggressive about asking for a tip and was disappointed with us when we did not tip as much as he had anticipated. This was frustrating for us as we believe a tip should be something that’s earned without asking for it and that one should be grateful for a tip, no matter the size, given that the rental price was already expensive.
Overall, if the above opportunities to improve were addressed, I would recommend staying at Holly and Chappie’s home. We are very appreciative of them hosting us, and just wanted to provide feedback so they can make their place even better.
We appreciate all comments and take each one seriously.
Costa Rica is very tropical and therefore all of us there do deal daily with ants and lizards. Juan treats the house every two days for ants but we will check into changing treatments since this commit was made. Thank you. As for geckos, we often get them even in our Florida home. It’s the price we sometime have to pay for living in tropical climates. If a screen door is left ajar it is easy for one to slip in. Juan, the caretaker, should never request tips and has been informed not to ever do so. Tipping is 100% optional. However upon firmly reminding Juan of this, he did say he told the guests upon arrival that his girlfriend could do their laundry for a tip and the guest did ask her do so.
On another note, We do not allow parties at the house and i understand one of the guests brought people that were not with their original group home with them one night after being out late. Juan told him the girls were not allowed to stay since they were not part of his original group. We are looking out for our guests who may not be aware that when picking up strangers in foreign counties, their new acquaintance may actually be looking to rob either them or the house they are renting. Therefore we never allow one night stands. We want our guests and our home to stay safe.