Ocean View Waterfront Vacation Getaway(24 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3-180 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
4 bedrooms, including Cabana, 2 1/2 baths, sleeps 8 to 10.
Water Amenities: This is a waterfront property. Guests enjoy broad, 180 degree water view of the entire Sakonnet River Passage, a mile-wide body of water between the Portsmouth and Tiverton shorelines in Rhode Island, extending 18 miles from Mount Hope Bay to the Atlantic Ocean. The the full length and width of the Skonnenet River Passage is visible from this home, extending to the Atlantic Ocean on the far horizon. The home is safely located 16 feet above sea level. Steps lead through the main seawall to a lower grassy terrace about 2,000 square feet in area and just a few feet above sea level. This grassy terrace provides excellent wind-protected sunbathing, a handy small boat storage and rigging area, and a fire pit for evening conversation and enjoyment. Beyond this terrace is a path leading to the beach. The southern boundary of the property extends to water's edge at high tide.
Swimming: Swimming is excellent. Guests access the beach from the grassy terrace area. The beach is sand-based and covered with fist-size smooth stones and seashells. Beach socks or sandals are recommended. (We have about 20 pairs of beach socks in various sizes which you are welcome to use.) The bottom is gently sloping and uniform across the front of the property and is safe for swimming unless the public is notified by the State of Rhode Island of specific beach closures for any reason. The water temperature is warmed by the Guff Stream, rising to 75-80 degrees by late summer. The water is salty; the wave heights are usually one to two feet; and the swimming overall is wonderful. An outdoor fresh-water shower and a hammock are available for refreshment after your swim. When miles of white sandy beaches and Atlantic ocean surf are wanted, we drive 20 minutes to Horseneck Beach in Westport, MA; or to Second or Third Beach in Newport, RI. or to Scarborough in South County, RI. (Maps are provided showing more than 100 fresh and salt-water beaches in RI.)
Restaurants & Services within walking distance: Lots to do! Within walking distance are five restaurants and two bars that run the gamut from Pete and Flo's (famous for fried clams since 1939) to the delicious casual dining at 'Fifteen Point Road.' We also recommend 'Grazianio's 501 Park Ave Cafe' for breakfast and lunch; and 'Scampi's' for casual seafood, Italian cooking, and a nice sports bar with sharp HDTVs. A children's playground, a marina, public boat launching ramp, fresh seafood, and a good wine and liquor shop are all only a short walk away. At Founder's Brook, 1.4 miles away on Boyd's Lane, is a memorial graden to Anne Hutchinson, who came in 1638 as a founder to Portsmouth after her famous trial and banishment from Puritan Massachusetts for her pursuit of religious and political rights. The Hutchenson home (long gone) was built by her husband on Blue Bill Cove about 1000 yards from our house. Historic Newport, 'America's First Resort' is just eight miles South!
When you're ready to book, here are some things to keep in mind
We recommend you complete your booking on VRBO or ask the owner to send you a payment request through VRBO.Verify your payment method
Member since: 2006
- 2175 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 11
- Children Welcome
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11, Beds for 8-11
- Master Bedroom #1 is a suite/family room, located on the ground level. Room includes king-size platform bed, bluestone fireplace, and water views. Furnishings include love seat, easy chair, dining table, 40' 1080p HDTV. An eight-foot glass slider leads to patio and beach. Suite has private bathroom with tiled shower. Master Bedroom #2 is on the second floor; king-size bed, dresser, desk and chair. There is a connecting door to the bathroom and an eight-foot sliding glass door to the deck, with views of the garden and the water. Bedroom #3 is also on the second floor. It is furnished with two single beds, eachs withhead boards, a desk, dresser, table, and three windows with nice cross ventilation. BR#3 guests share the bathroom with Bedroom MB#2. BR#4 is the Cabana, a 13' x 17' finished apartment-like room under the deck and sleeps 2 to 4 people on two futon-sofas/double-beds. Cabana has TV, dresser, wicker sofa &1/2 bath; guests use outdoor shower ( or share MBR shower)...moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- • Bathroom #1 adjoins Master Bedroom #1 on first floor. Tiled floor and walls; toilet, sink and cabinet, and large walk-in tiled shower. • Bathroom #2 adjoins Master Bedroom #2 on second floor. Also accessible from the hall. This bathroom serves all other guests and can get crowded; but the bathroom is large and well equipped with shower and tub, toilet, double sinks mounted in a long counter top with cabinets under, and extra towel bars. • Bathroom #3 in the Cabana. 1/2 bath toilet and sink. • Outdoor swim shower provides hot and cold running fresh water, and a wooden standing grate over a french drain. It is located outside and adjacent to the sliders into the Cabana. This shower is very convenient for rinsing off the salt water after your swim, or sunbathing. Air dry while reclining in the near-by hammock!...moreless
- • State of RI has a good mosquito abatement program. Flying insects are rarely a problem in the house, on the deck, or at the beach. All windows and doors have screens if needed • House is cooled in the summer primarily by fresh air from the ocean and is usually quite comfortable. - Evenings are cool, and the sleeping is restful, usually with a sea breeze and the sound of waves on the beach. . - A variable speed attic fan is provided for cooling the whole house when cool air is needed and there is no breeze. - Various floor and table fans are available to meet individual preferences. - A 12,000 BTU window air conditioner is centrally located in the library for use on the occasional muggy days when nature and electric fans are simply insufficient. There are also 5,000 / 8,000 BTU air conditioners in all three bedrooms and they are sometimes welcome on muggy nights. The Cabana is also air conditioned. There is a portable dehumidifier if needed for your complete com...moreless
- Audio Tape Player
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Games For Kids
- Music Library:
Satellite / Cable:
(3) 40' 1080p HDTV in MBR; smaller TVs in BR#2 and in the Cabana. High-speed Internet access is provided at no cost via Cox Communication using a cable modem, WiFi, and wireless eathernet router. There is desk space and eathernet cables to network up to three laptops in the library...moreless
- Tourist Attractions
- Autumn Foliage
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theater
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Bird Watching
- Gambling Casinos
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sweeping water views, easy water entry for safe swimming. Beach is sandy and covered with smooth stones the size of ones hand, and sea shells. Beach socks are provided with several sizes to choose from. Swimming is great: waves are gentle most of the time; water temps. in high 70's. Outdoor after-swim shower....moreless
Sweeping View the Sakonnet River passage! The actual Atlantic Ocean is visible on the horizon. The view is 180 degrees, more than a mile wide and 18 miles long, clear to the Atlantic Ocean!...moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Activities Guide
- Air Conditioning:
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
High-speed Internet access provided free of charge via Cox Communication using a wireless cable modem or a 4-port eathernet router and cables. There is enough desk space in library to network up to three laptops. (Computers not provided.)...moreless
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
Internet service is provided by Cox Communication via cable modem, accesssble directly via wired LAN, or wirelessly via a password-protected home WiFi system using a 2013 (AC) wireless Cisco router. ...moreless
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
Fireplace, two long sofas, one club chair, one occasional chair, three large floor cushions, a coffee table, sofa table, endtables, hardwood floors, oiental carpets, original southwestern art....moreless
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street:
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet:
- Wood Fireplace:
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Deck / Patio:
- Housekeeper Optional
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 24 - Jun 30, 2017
4 night min stay
Jul 1 - Aug 25, 2017
7 night min stay
Changeover Day: Saturday
Academic Year 2017-18
Aug 26 - May 20, 2018
180 night min stay
May 26 - Aug 25, 2018
7 night min stay
Changeover Day: Saturday
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $1,500
- Tax Rate 8%
Please note that as the owners of this property, we accept rent payments only by personal check, money order, or bank draft accompanied by your signed application form. We do not accept credit cards payemnts and thus do not participate in the HomeAway on line payment service. If you wish to pay the HomeAway "fee" mentioned in the cost estimate, that is your choice; but you will need to do so as a separate translation directly with Home Away and not part of your payments to us as the owners of this property.
Manager's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting manager when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
This is a waterfront home located in the Village of Island Park, Town of Portsmouth RI. The home is a 15-20 min. drive (8 miles) from Historic Newport, RI. See famous Newport Mansions; Cliff Walk; ocean beaches; the Newport Music, Jazz, & Folk Festivals; Black Ships Festival; sailing championships & boat shows, Naval War College Museum, Tennis Hall of Fame, and many other summer attractions. Home is also 10 minutes from Historic Bristol RI; 30 minutes from New Bedford, MA; 35 minutes from Providence, RI; and one hour's drive from Boston, MA and Cape Cod.
Other Activities: Kayaking
Year Purchased: 1986
About: I was raised in New England and have life-long interests in sailing and photography. I served 26 years on active duty in the US Army retiring as Colonel in 1989 and for the next 18 years I did leadership development consulting for clients in business, government, and academia. My wife, Enedina is a retired college professor and an actress (SAG/AFTRA). She was raised in El Paso where we met in college and were married after graduation in Dec 1961. We celebrated our golden anniversary in 2011. We have two sons and love spending vacation time here with them and their families. We rent this home so we can afford to keep it available to us for family vacations together!
Why Portsmouth, RI, USA:
We fell in love with Newport in 1976 when I was a student as the US Naval War College, and resolved to live here in retirement. We chose this waterfront house for its stunning views and ideal location. I worked from this home for 18 years and felt rewarded and refreshed every day by the ever-changing natural environment.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The natural beauty that surrounds this home nourishes, renews, and restores the human spirit. We enjoy vacation time with our family and friends; morning or afternoons dips in salt water from our own beach and we love the outdoor shower, air-drying in the hammock. I enjoy early mornings on the deck with fresh coffee and breakfast. Fresh seafood and on the grill; live theater productions of excellent quality at the 2d Story Theater in Warren, RI; burgers at 501 Park Ave; dinners at nearby 15 point Road, and lots of other excellent restaurants nearby; museum, historic mansions and great entertainment in Newport and Bristol RI; sailing and fishing in Narragansett Bay; nearby ocean swimming and miles of white sandy beaches at Horse neck Beach in Massachusetts, and in Narragansett RI. Green Animal Farms in Portsmouth, RI; Colt State Park in Bristol, RI; RISD museum and Water Fire illuminations on summer evening in Providence, RI; the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA; and the many attractions in Boston, Cape cod, and the Islands.
- Primary: +1 915-585-8306 Mountain Time Zone
- Secondary: +1 9154497724 Toll Free Number: 1-800-572-4518
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Open floor plan , big views, from twin sofas, club chair, & three big cushions.
Stunning DR views! Big table extends more to seat 12 guests (w/2 at each end).
Sliders from DR & Kitchen lead to 17x24 deck w/ 3-burner Webber grill (2013).
8 ft. glass slider provides easy access to deck from MBR#2.
MRB #2 writing desk & shelves. Closet is off to the left. (BR#3 is across hall.)
BR#3 desk, dresser, and closet w/mirrored doors (extra inflatable bed inside.)
Library with Stereo, WiFi, e-piano, 2 desks, printer & water views (not shown).
MBR#1 LR area, water views, fireplace, HDTV, home theater, w/5.1 surround sound
MBR#1 Bathroom w/ tiled walk-in shower, toilet, sink, and dressing area.
BR#4 Has 1/2 bath, closet, & A/C system. Futons make great sofas or double beds
Sun bathing terrace also has a fire pit; great for campfires songs & smore!
A small portion of the sweeping water views from the beach on this property
Open floor-plan! LR/DR area as seen from a desk in the Library.
Big kitchen well equipped. Gas range; Bosh dshwshr. Brkfast bar. Open to LR/DR!
A walkway on East side of house gives direct access to deck or garden from MBR#2
BMR #2: King bed w/ hand-carved Mexican headboard w/ twin reading lamps. A/C
BR#3. Corner room, twin beds, A/C, desk, lamps, TV, phone, new carpets (2014).
2d floor bath twin sinks, vanity, toilet, shower/ tub; new tile floors (2014).
MBR#1 Ground floor suite, King bed, dining table, outdoor patio, & water views.
MRB#1 showing doors to hall & bath areas. Painting by Karl Oertel (1933).
BR#4 The Cabana--14x24 addition, A/C, two double futons, TV, love seat & chair.
Cabana w/ out-door shower on right. Patio & sliders to MBR#1 on left.
New swimmer w/ view of the beach & rental home from the water.
Waterfront view looking South past front porch. Double driveway holds 3 cars.
This listing was first published here in 2006.
Date last modified - Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.