Welcome to Mary Boland House - a vacation home in the heart of the community of Calvert, Newfoundland.
Escape for a long weekend, a week, or more to a lovingly restored saltbox vacation home. An idealic retreat just a one-hour drive “up the shore” south of St. John’s, the capital city. From the house enjoy a perfect ocean view clear to the horizon beyond the small islands at the entrance to the bay.
Plan a day trip to the Ferryland lighthouse or a hike along the East Coast Trail. The best part will be falling asleep to the relaxing sound of the surf.
Sensitively renovated to incorporate modern amenities the decor is a contemporary mix of traditional and modern. The house retains many of its original features including wide-plank pine flooring and the original staircase. Renovations replicate the original materials used - tongue and groove wall boards, spruce clapboard and cedar roof shingles.
The house features:
- a modern galley-style kitchen with dishes, utensils, cookware and the basics for cooking
- a living room ideal for quiet evenings reading (wireless internet available)
- main floor laundry and half bathroom
- second floor has two cozy bedrooms each with a double bed built by Paterson Woodworking, whose exclusive handmade furniture borrows on design elements from older Newfoundland pieces.
- a spacious, modern bathroom on the second floor
- towels, bed linens, picnic basket, maps of the East Coast Trail, and travel and tourist guidebooks
- outside - two patios, one that delights with morning sun and the other evening, provide perfect spaces for you to enjoy morning tea or simply relax while indulging a preference for sun or shade.
- The area around the house is carefully landscaped with flagstone, greenery and flowering plants bordered by wild natural growth, including blueberries and blackberries ripe for the picking in late summer and early fall.
- Parking for 2 cars