1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, Sleeps 4
Owner / Property Manager Elizabeth Sanna
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Want to relive your student dorm days?
Well then, this is the place for you? Those days when your landlord said she would fix something "soon" but that day kept getting pushed out further and further? You miss the days of matching furniture and beds with legs or bedframes? The mouldy shower curtain left behind by the previous tenants? Well then, this is the place for you!
This place is in a perfect location for downtown walkability to all the tourist attractions, restaurants, cafes, bars and schools. It is ideal for students or families with low needs and lower standards. If you are looking for perfectly designed and decorated space then this place will disappoint.
From the mismatched mattress and box spring in the second bedroom, to the mis-sized headboard in the master bedroom the furnishings leave something to be desired. The towels are not of the highest quality (or even a reasonably good quality), the closet doors are plastic sheets. As mentioned, there are many fixes that need to be completed: the light switch plate that is taped in place, to the shower curtain that is mouldy enough for me to consider replacing it before I showered (but couldn't find one at the dollar store), to the dishwasher that is out of order, the place needs some TLC.
All the basics are in place - the kitchen has enough to cook with and the candies and breakfast are a thoughtful touch. The bathroom has a good shower (minus the mouldy shower curtain), the water is hot and plentiful, the bed in the master is comfortable and over all the place is quiet.
The value is good. I defy you to find lower priced accommodations in the heart of Halifax.
Would I rush back to stay here? Not with my family. On my own (as I was for this trip)? Ya, it's close to everything, it is nice to have your own kitchen and it is nice not to be in a hotel. If I was with friends or family I would pass on this place for something more refined.
Could use a lot of improvements - should not be in the hospitality business
We thought a lot about writing this review because we really have very little positive things to say. On the other hand, had we been exposed to honest reviews, we could have made better choices and our stay in Halifax wouldn't have been dampened by the choices of our accommodation.
We will not stay here again. But here is an honest review as a service to those that are looking. We are a family of four and stayed at the Sanctuary for 2 weeks. I will list the minuses and the pluses.
- not clean. First thing we did was spent about 2 hours scrubbing the floor. Our daughters enjoy sitting on the floor to read or play games etc. so we needed it to be clean.
- the place is a basement of a dilapidated building. Our hearts collectively sank when we discovered where it was
- broken dishwasher - we only saw a sign to not use when we got there. Furthermore, there was stagnant water in the machine that was foul smelling. There was no attempt to fix during our stay
- broken kitchen light - an under the cabinet stick-on battery operated LED light was not adequate. We even bought an additional LED light to supplement but still not enough light to do the dishes. No attempt to fix during our stay.
- coin operated laundry - shared with other tenants of the building. Would have been fine for us if the washer was washing things properly.
- the replacement bedsheets and towels wreaked of mildew. Beside being a health hazard, it was completely unbearable. We suspected that the sheets and towels were stuffed in the same washing machine that did not work properly.
- towel rack in the bathroom was broken
- junk left in bedroom and closet spaces
- no instruction for recycling
- the orchids in the photos are now just a dead plant - not really important to us but just adds to the "false advertisement" notion
+ centrally located. Close to everything, especially the Halifax Central Library which is an absolute gem.
+ this place is spacious with two bedrooms
+ candies. Elizabeth supplied us with plenty of candies. It is a nice touch even if we did not consume them. We would have traded candies for clean sheets and towels.
Very quiet, homey, was awesome!
No complaints just the parking, kinda first come first serve, got a parking ticket on the last day!
Super rental downtown Halifax
The location is great. It is about 4 blocks from the Harbour, 2 from Barrington St. and 2 from Spring Garden Road. Lots of opportunity to shop, eat, walk the boardwalk, or go to theaters. Many buses are available nearby if you choose not to rent a car. Sobeys and Shoppers Drug Mart are within walking distance.
The home was nicely decorated, it is a very inviting and clean space. The kitchen had anything I needed to make a meal. The bed was firm-ish and I found it very comfortable. I used the little deck a lot and appreciated having it. The only thing I missed was a signal to get regular TV. (Netflix was great, but I was there for 3 weeks and missed the news and other programming).
Elizabeth really cares that her clients are comfortable and happy. She is quick to respond if needed. The extras (breakfast, a dish with candies) go beyond anything I have had in previous rentals.
I am a 65 year old woman, and I was travelling alone. I went out in the evenings and felt very safe in the neighbourhood. I would be delighted to stay at this rental again.