Clifftop Private Boutique Country House Overlooking Ruby Bay Near Nelson
The manager has been emailed.
This manager doesn't offer online booking through VRBO's checkout. You won't be eligible for our Book with Confidence Guarantee.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram. Learn more
- Minimum stay:Contact manager
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Ask Manager
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Ruby Bay, Mapua & the lights of Nelson provide the stunning backdrop for Kereru House at “The Bluffs” - located conveniently between Nelson, & Abel Tasman National Park and only an hour from Golden Bay. This superb self catering clifftop house features fabulous views, with Mount Arthur and NW Nelson ranges on one side and an uninterrupted view of D’Urville Island and Tasman Bay on the other. The large bright, airy lounge includes generous seating, cosy gas fire and a home theatre system. Along with the a self contained upstairs breakfast room, both rooms offer fabulour views along the coast and over the garden. With three balconies and a shady outdoor barbecue area, Kereru House oozes space to relax over a wine or coffee with a different view from every angle. Ideally situated between the Richmond and Motueka townships, Kereru House is only seven minutes drive from Mapua with its restaurants and shops and 40 minutes drive from Nelson city with its museums, art, wineries, shopping and superb dining. One of the many popular Nelson Great Taste/Cycle trails is only a two minute cycle ride away and cycle hire is available in nearby Mapua.
FACILITIES DETAIL: see our website http://www.kereruhouse.co.nz
• Quality bed linen including changes of linen from the linen cupboard (help yourself)
• Bath towels, beach towels, face flannels and basic toiletries - with spare towels available if needed
• Washing machine and clothes dryer
• Some basic cooking & laundry essentials see below
• Complimentary milk, tea, coffee, sugar. Coffee plunger
• Drinkable tap water. Water source is our own underground bore.
• Complimentary seasonal vegetables and fruit available from the adjacent garden and orchard
• Satellite TV, DVD, CD player via a “surround sound”, home theatre system. Music CDs and DVD movies
• Gas coal fire ( cosy open fire in a Victorian tiled fireplace) in the lounge/sitting room
• Heat pump downstairs
• Separate office with internet connection and telephone land line.
• Outside secluded BBQ area overlooking the bay
• Hair dryers
• Two upstairs balconies (off a bedroom and breakfast room)
• One downstairs balcony (off the lounge) and a glassed in porch (off the dining room)
Complimentary stocks of basic condiments:
• Salt & pepper
• Olive oil
• Soya sauce
• Balsamic Vinegar
• Tomato & Worcestershire sauce (homemade)
• Selection of two further homemade condiments
Breakfast provisions (complimentary)
• Home-made muesli
• Selection of commercial cereals
• Fresh milk
• Eggs and bacon for the first day.
Rooms are serviced after each three night stay. Limitations: No children sorry, because of the proximity of the cliff. No animals. We operate a smoke-free policy although guests are welcome to smoke outdoors.
LOCAL INFORMATION, TRAVELLING DISTANCES AND INFORMATION.
Walk to the beach or stroll round our property, admire the views and hand feed our cute Highland cattle.Close to beaches, Abel Tasman, Nelson Lakes and Kahurangi National Parks. Golf clubs, restaurants, shopping, museums and world class dining all within easy short driving distances.
Nearest city & town: Nelson ( pop. 42,000) – around 40 minutes drive from Kereru House. Motueka (pop. 6,000 ) is 15 minutes drive in the opposite direction.
Airport. NZ’s fourth busiest airport is only 30 minutes drive away. Most major rental car companies are represented.
Air travel to Nelson: Ex Auckland, approx 1-1/2 hours
Ex Wellington, approx 25 minutes
Ex Christchurch approx 40 minutes
Road travel to Nelson Ex Picton (from the Interisland ferry terminal), approx 2 hours drive
Ex Christchurch, approx six hours either coastal via Kaikoura or inland via
Lewis Pass & Murchison
Tasman & Ruby Bay stores (5 minutes drive in either direction) sell basic food and grocery items. Mapua Store (7 minutes drive) is a mini supermarket selling a wide range of food and grocery items including liquor.
Before making a payment, always call the manager at the number listed on our website to make sure your payment instructions are accurate.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.Learn more
Member since: 2012
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Breakfast - Included In Price
- Non Smoking Only
- Not Suitable For Children
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 (downstairs. This room gets the morning sun and looks straight out across Tasman Bay. Fully carpeted, it contains one super king sized bed that converts to two singles. Quality bed linen, television, wardrobe & bedside cabinets, torches in each cabinet. Clothes brush,and sewing repairs kit. Please advise in advance if you wish this bed to be made up as singles or as a super-king. Bedroom 2. (upstairs) A large, fully carpeted room attracting the afternoon sun. One king sized bed and bedside cabinets. Quality bed linen. Built in wardrobe, shelf and cupboard storage. Clothes brush and sewing repairs kit. Torches in each bedside cabinet. Television. Table and two chairs – ideal for writing postcards or checking emails whilst enjoying the stunning views. Private balcony allowing guests to sit in the sun amongst the trees while looking across the bay towards Motueka. Screens for the balcony door allowing the door to remain open during the night in warm weather....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Bathroom 1. (Downstairs) Situated almost opposite the downstairs bedroom, close enough to be completely private. Includes a shower, separate bath & toilet. Heated towel rail, hairdryer and complimentary toiletries. Bath towels, face flannels. Beach/swimming towels also provided. Bathroom two – upstairs. Situated on the landing adjacent to the upstairs bedroom for the exclusive use of guests using that bedroom. Includes shower and toilet – a “loo with a view”- this bathroom has stunning views over the garden, across the bay to Motueka and D’Urville Island. Heated towel rail, hairdryer and complimentary toiletries. Bath towels, face flannels. Beach/swimming towels also provided....moreless
- Lounge/sitting room. Window seating overlooking the garden and Tasman Bay – yet another of the fabulous sitting areas around Kereru House. A cosy and attractive gas coal fire set in a Victorian fireplace – wonderful ambiance for an intimate night in during cooler evenings. Two lounge chairs. A five seater setee which can be easily moved and reconfigured in several ways. DVD, television and CD player (surround sound speakers). Selection of CDs and DVDs including some iconic NZ movies. An outside balcony offers the perfect afternoon spot for relaxing drinks amongst the tree tops after the day’s activities. Breakfast room – upstairs.spectacular views across Tasman Bay towards Nelson and D’Urville Island. A fabulously warm, sunny spot for a leisurely brunch. Room includes, small table and chairs, two seater settee, built in cupboard/drawer storage. Small fridge, kettle and tea/coffee making facilities including coffee plunger, extra cutlery and crockery....moreless
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Away From It All
- Live Theater
- Nude Beach
- Water Parks
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Near The Ocean
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Equestrian Events
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Roller Blading
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Ski Lift Privileges
- Ski Privileges Optional
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Activities Guide
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street
- Tiled Stove
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
- Cooking Utensils
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
- Porch / Veranda
- Wood Deck
This property does not have any reviews yet.
Kereru House is open from September 1st – May 30th although we are open to negotiation for long stay bookings during winter months (depending upon dates). Rates per night (NZ$): Nightly rate for a week's stay Nightly rate(month or more) (25% discount) ( 40% discount) For two: $350 $262.50 (two) $210 (Two) For three: $425 $318.75 (three) $255 For four: $550 $412.50 (four) $330 (four) Rate Includes: Complimentary breakfast provisions including bacon and eggs for first night. Home baked muffins on arrival and home made condiments. Guests are also invited to help themselves to vegetables and pick fruit from the trees in the orchard (in season). All rates are inclusive of 15% NZ Goods & Services Tax (GST) Minimum stay: Two nights. We welcome long stay inquiries and can offer attractive rates for a month or more. Payment. We do not take deposits. Full payment must be made to secure a booking. If you have to cancel, we will refund your money (in line with our cancellation policy), with just a $30 surcharge on your cancelled booking. Cancellation policy. We do try to rebook following cancellations. If we are unable to do this, the charge for each booked night is 25% if cancelled within 15 days, 50% if cancelled within a week and 100% if cancelled within 48 hours. Arrival & Departure: Check in is from 2pm. Check out by 10am. We are happy to store your luggage if you wish to drop it off early or spend the afternoon in the area after you check out. Late check outs may be available on application, depending upon forward bookings but will incur a small extra charge.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Clifftop self contained, secluded boutique country house overlooking Ruby and Tasman Bay near Nelson:
Ruby Bay, Mapua & the lights of Nelson provide the stunning backdrop for Kereru House at “The Bluffs” - located conveniently between Nelson, & Abel Tasman National Park and only an hour from Golden Bay. This superb self catering clifftop house features fabulous views, with Mount Arthur and NW Nelson ranges on one side and an uninterrupted view of D’Urville Island and Tasman Bay on the other. The large bright, airy lounge includes generous seating, cosy gas fire and a home theatre system. Along with the a self contained upstairs breakfast room, both rooms offer fabulour views along the coast and over the garden. With three balconies, Kereru House oozes space to relax over a wine or coffee with a different view from every angle. Ideally situated between the Richmond and Motueka townships, Kereru House is only seven minutes drive from Mapua with its restaurants and shops and 40 minutes drive from Nelson city. Visit the WOW museum, enjoy water sports, sailing, swimming or kayaking, go skiiing in the winter or taste Nelson by visiting the many local wineries.
Totally private and self contained, Kereru House includes a fully and thoughtfully equipped kitchen, featuring all modern appliances and gas hob cooking. Enjoy generous breakfast provisions provided, including home-made condiments, baking, meusli and even bacon and eggs for the first night. Two bedrooms - one upstairs,and one down, each with their own adjacent bathroom. The spacious upstairs bedroom features a king size bed, stunning views and private balcony amongst the trees. The adjacent private bathroom includes a shower & the amazing 'loo with a view'. Look out over Tasman Bay from the downstairs bedroom with its super king bed (converts to two singles) and private adjacent bathroom (which includes a bath and shower). Quality linen is supplied and guests may help themselves to extra linen from the well stocked cupboard. The house includes a laundry (washing machine and dryer), and secluded office overlooking the garden tree tops and with free wireless internet and telephone land line with free local calls.
The fabulous garden setting at Kereru House (established over 30 years), is home to NZ Kereru (native wood pigeon), Tui and other native birds which are encouraged to visit with bird feeders and selective garden plantings. The views over the sea from the secluded outdoor barbeque are absolutely stunning. Add the various balconies around Kereru House and you have the ultimate in relaxation and comfort. No matter what the weather, there is always somewhere to sit and look at the view.
Kereru House is situated on a working apple orchard which was established in 1910. The friendly owners live nearby on the property and are happy to assist with local information, advice and general support if required. Guests are invited to help themselves from the large vegetable garden at Kereru House and pick fruit from the trees in season.
About: This orchard property was purchased by Mary’s great grandfather in 1910. It was among the first apple orchards to be planted in this area, commonly referred to by locals as “The Bluffs” or “Moutere”. “Moutere clay” was and still is, well known for producing quality apples. The property is still managed as a working orchard by Mary and husband Murray although Mary also has an off property job – managing volunteer services for the local Hospice. Mary’s parents, Anne and David Austin, recently left the orchard and moved into town. Kereru House is their previous home which has been completely refurbished. It was Anne’s hard work and inspiration that created the stunning garden around Kereru House – we are trying our best to maintain it up to her high standards! We have also retained Anne and David’s enclosed vegetable garden and aim to keep it well stocked for our guests and our own use. Nearby trees of quinces, persimmons, plums, citrus varieties and of course apples are all available in season for our guests to help themselves.
- Primary: ++64 0210469626 Evenings (NZ time) best or send an email
- Secondary: +64 210469626
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Kereru House looking over Tasman Bay
Flkexible seating in the lounge
A bunch of flowers for all guests.
Dining area and adjacent porch
"Loo with a view". The outlook from the upstairs bathroom.
Tasman Bay from the clifftop
Relax after a long day sightseeing
Coco contemplating the view
Sea view from the rose arbour
The Clivia Walk
The kitchen gable
The secret potting shed.
Morning coffee outside the breakfast room
View from all lounge windows
Fully equipped kitchen for the cooks - herbs and vegetables in the garden!
Two places to sit and enjoy the views from the upstairs bedroom.
Downstairs beds convert to a super king
Kereru looking West
Our 'girls' lined up for a feed
Sunrise over Tasman Bay
Kereru (NZ Native Wood Pigeon) in a Kowhai Tree
Garden ornament - a piece of orchard history.....
Barbecue among the flowers.
A peaceful reading spot - the conservatory.
- Response time Within 12 hours
- Response rate 83%
- Calendar last updated 11/23/2016