Gorgeous 4 Bedroom Chalet Home On Crystal Clear Grindstone Lake
About Karen Christenson
We are a family of four from La Crosse, WI
Karen Christenson purchased this Chalet in 2016
Why Karen Christenson chose Hayward
We've been in love with this home for years, admiring it from the water. When it became available in 2016, we knew the time was right to make it ours.
What makes this Chalet unique
Located in William's Bay, this home is very protected from the wind so the lake can be used more frequently.
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Minimum age of primary renter:30
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
A Room With a View
The view from the great room alone was worth the stay but this property has so many things to recommend it... our party of 8 adults had plenty of room, the home was well equipped, and decorated just as you’d expect a northern WI lake home to be. There was plenty to do... the game room has a foosball table, pool table, ping-pong table, and dart board. There are kayaks available for the guests, a large dock with seats for fishing/watching the sunrise over the lake, and a large TV in the game room for watching movies. The kitchen is well equipped and has Viking appliances which make preparing meals a joy. The home sits on a peninsula with a beautiful lake view which can be enjoyed from the loft bedroom, the great room, the game room, the large deck, and the screen porch. There is a large eagle nest near the dock and we were able to observe eagles and loons during our stay. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our time at this property and all agreed it would definitely be worth staying at again.
Cabin exterior facing the lake and the vista view from the deck of the lake, framed by the trees, is superb, rating "5". However, the cabin interior, although charming and rustic, is in need of some TLC. Issues we encountered during our stay included: no TV reception, internet connection slow and intermittent, MBR (Loft) bed a double size (not a Queen size as represented on VRBO), outdoor gas grill filthy and starter did not work, MBR shower and kitchen dishwasher did not work during last two days of our stay. Although we rate the cabin exterior and lake vista a "5", we were disappointed with the condition of the cabin interior and gas grill, which we would rate "2". In its present condition, our overall rating of this VRBO rental property is "3".
We are happy to respond to each of the issues this guest identified.
1. No TV signal - this is correct and stated on the VRBO listing. The home is in the woods, surrounded by trees, and we are unable to get a satellite signal.
2. The internet is slow - also true. The home is in an area of limited service and this is the fastest speed available at this time. Renters are notified of this and told to download media onto their personal devices before arrival.
3. Loft bed is not a queen - false. We just measured it and it is 60 inches - which is a queen size.
4. Grill - there are two types of grills at the cabin. Gas and charcoal. The gas grill did need a cleaning, but it was functional. We have since replaced all the interior parts and given it a thorough cleaning.
5. Shower and dishwasher not working for 2 days - False. We received a call about the shower on a Friday (the guests checked out on Saturday morning). The plumber wasn't able to get there that day, so we had a family member come and fix it. I'm not sure what more we could have done. And since there are two other showers in the home...draw your own conclusion about the reviewer here. Regarding the dishwasher, they said they thought it smelled funny, so elected not to use it. It was functional. We have since replaced the dishwasher.
Bottom line - this home is NOT a 2 star interior. I'd invite readers to consult our other reviews for a more accurate representation of our gorgeous lake home.
Very clean, owners are super responsive.
We stayed here on a snowmobile trip Jan 30 - Feb 2nd 2019. It was 25 below when we arrived and 40 above when we left. The house was very well appointed and stayed warm on the cold nights. The fireplace is great and the owners provided wood. As far as the VRBO description goes, it is 100% as advertised! The house slept all 8 of us comfortably, however 1 slept on a cot that we brought. Driveway is big enough for trucks/trailers but not enough room to turn around. We had 2 24' trailers and had no problem backing in, parking, and having enough room to maneuver our sleds. The trails run right across Grindstone lake so we were able to ride straight out from the house and enter the trail system. There are many places to ride to in all directions once you hit the marked trails. We headed north every day just because there was diminishing snow pack to the south. If we come and ride this area again, we will definitely stay here.
Gorgeous cabin. Clean, spacious, well-stocked. The lake was clear and quiet. Loved our week with 4 grandparents, two parents and three kids. Thank you!!
Great house!!!!Cant wait to go back!!!
This house is absolutely beautiful!!!!It has everything you need!!With 2 fireplaces and very warm house we didnt notice that it was -20F outside:)!!! Location is great, 20 min from Wal Mart, 1 hr from Christie mountain, 20 min from Hayward power sports( snowmobile rental place,and they are great, very easy to work with)-took about 1 hr to get back to house on snowmobile!!! Work out perfectly!!
Thank you Karen to let us stay at your beautiful house, and we will be back!!!!