THE BARNUM/LILY PONS NEW CANAAN SILVERMINE ESTATE- 2018 Recipient of the New Canaan Preservation Alliance's President's Preservation Award!
1) 2 nights minimum required during the year (off season)
2) 1-2 weeks during the Summer
3) Corporate Rental is a possibility
4) Walking distance to the Graybarns Silvermine Tavern on the River- offering a rustic and sophisticated farm to table bar restaurant with a terrace overlooking the Silvermine River.
5) Walking distance to the Silvermine Art Guild Center and less than 3 miles from not only Grace Farms, a serene and spectacular ultramodern sanctuary to experience nature and the arts, but also the iconic Philip Johnson Glass House.
Designed by well reknown architect, Frank J. Forster in 1923 for the Barnum family (Circus Family- The Greatest Showman) and also once lived by famous French opera singer, Lily Pons, and conductor Andre Kostelanetz, this architectural jewel has been preserved and restored and is an ideal retreat for a peaceful escape, remarkably less than 3 miles from downtown New Canaan and less than 1 hr from Manhattan.
This Authentic French Normandy Property is completely encapsulated by mature gardens/ plantings, and situated on 3 flat acres of sweeping emerald lawns, which provide a very serene and private country setting.
- 6 bedrooms in total (4 on the 1st floor: 1 master BR with Queen bed, cathedral ceilings and a stunning fireplace, 1 BR with Queen Bed & bath, 1 BR with Full bed with bath and 1 BR with Twin bed & bath),
2 on the 2nd floor: 1 upper level master suite BR with King bed, walk-in closets and Bath and 1 BR with Twin beds and Bath. Please note that every BR has a magnificent view of the surrounding foliage and professionally landscaped grounds.
- 5.5 completely renovated Bathrooms
- A Chef’s Kitchen with top of the line appliances (Thermador 8 burners cooking range, Viking Refrigerator and Wall over, Bosch Dishwasher)
- A dining room with massive exposed Beams, leading to a very private Terrace and Pool Area (perfect for elegant entertaining or Al fresco dining)
- A living room with very high cathedral ceilings, massive exposed beams, stone fireplace and a library- all with access to the back terrace and pool area as well as the front terrace.
- A family room with a 65 inch Sony Smart HDTV (Netflix and Amazon Prime), DVD player and a Bose Wave SoundTouch, a large brick rustic fireplace, and another dining table leading to a 3rd outdoor terrace with an outdoor dining table and sitting area for cocktails.
- 3 terraces, all with sitting outdoor furniture
- 1 heated In ground pool
- 1 outdoor firepit with sitting area
- 1 large lower level playroom for children with many great toys to play with.
New Canaan is a quintessential New England town that combines “old fashioned harmony with contemporary sophistication”. Considered part of the CT Gold Coast, New Canaan offers a wide range of architectures from the Harvard Five Modern Houses to historic farms/parks and stately mansions. According to Niche rigorous market analysis, New Canaan was named "Best town to raise a family" in 2017. New Canaan has one of the most charming and picturesque bustling downtowns in the region with premiere shopping, diverse restaurants and gourmet stores. Most recently, we have been blessed to enjoy the newly opened Grace Farms, named “Top 10 destination from NYC” and considered a "Spectacular Spiritual Sanctuary with an Ultramodern twist".
There are an abundant of activities to do, all within minutes from the house:
The Philip Johnson Glass House
Silvermine Guild Art Center
Public Golf Courses (Oak Hills Golf Course and Sterling Farms)
Horseback riding at Silvermine Farm
Waveny Park (Wooded Trails ideal for walking/running, Paddle Tennis Courts and acres of lawns perfect for picnicking), Mead Park (ideal for Tennis & Playground), Irwin Park (ideal for walking/ running and biking)
New Canaan Nature Center (Trails and Nature) and Stamford Nature Center (Animal Farm)
15 min drive to the Post Inn (The Posh Relais & Chateaux Property, owned by Richard Gere with a yoga studio and 2 notables eataries; and the Inn at Pound Ridge by Jean-Georges
10 Minutes to Darien and Norwalk beaches
20 min to Westport and Greenwich beaches
20 min to Westchester airport
5 min to train station
45 min to the picturesque Litchfield County, CT (perfect for antiquing and exploring)
1hr from Mystic Seaport, CT
2.5 hrs to Boston and Cape Cod Massachussets, Newport Rhode Island
2 hrs to the Hamptons New York
This beautiful property is nestled in the historic neighborhood of New Canaan, called Silvermine, a wooded quaint enclave that follows the Silvermine River. It is steeped in history and the arts with an eclectic array of architectural styles. This home is within 2 min walking distance to the Silvermine Guild Art Center (Art Gallery and an Art School with classes/workshops for all ages and summer camps for children); The Silvermine Market (a quaint BYO Café ideal for breakfast, lunch, dinner or take out if you don’t feel like cooking; the Silvermine River; and finally the soon to be reopened Silvermine Tavern and Inn (Boutique Bed and Breakfast with a Farm to Table restaurant).
FALL: Admire the glorious and vibrant New England color changing foliage of the season (last week of October); Enjoy a glass of wine on the terraces; roast marshmallows on the firepit; read a book and listen to music by the crackling fireplaces throughout the house; experience a unique thanksgiving experience by entertaining your friends and family and feel the warmth and joy of the festivities.
WINTER: Celebrate Christmas/ New Year in this magical and captivating environment, beautifully decorated for the festivities; visit Santa Claus during his annual visit at the Silvermine Tavern; listen to the New Canaan residents carol on Church Hill on Christmas Eve (a beloved tradition since 1919); visit one of the many Houses of Worship in the area; or take a day trip to admire the Rockefeller Christmas Tree and do window shopping on Fifth Avenue.
SUMMER: Wake up to the birds chirping and fall asleep with the crickets singing; lounge by the pool with a book; dine or entertain Al Fresco; stroll the property after dinner and enjoy the fireflies under the starry sky; barbecue some delicious steaks from Fleishers Craft Butchery in Westport or seafood from Stew Leonard nearby.