Watch the sun rise over the ocean, finish that book in the corner picture-window nook, or explore the tidal pools among the rocks below. Enjoy a quintessential Maine vacation in this oceanfront 4-bedroom, 2.5 bath cottage off the beaten path. With views from every room, you can watch the lobstermen pull their traps (and then walk a quarter-mile down the road to the harbor to see them come in).
You don’t have to go far for things to do:
• at the bottom of the hill, splash in the water at the Rachel Carson Preserve
• take the nearby Hardy Boat to Monhegan Island or to see seals and puffins
• within 3 miles, relax at Pemaquid Beach
• within 4 miles, visit picturesque Pemaquid Lighthouse, featured on the back of the Maine quarter
• go kayaking along the shore or down any number of rivers
If you’d like to explore more of Midcoast Maine, there's much to experience within a day’s drive:
• climb Mount Batty and take in the views over Camden harbor
• visit the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland
• enjoy the beauty of Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay
Nearby Damariscotta boasts an array of local restaurants, shops, and a small independent cinema. Get your provisions at Reilly’s, the local grocers, and barbecue out on the charcoal grill. Stop in at one of the many art galleries, and don’t forget gifts for yourself or others at local artisan shops like The Good Supply, which features a curated selection of Maine-made art and craftwork.
You won’t be faulted, however, if you choose to just stay put and simply supervise the tides.
The large open living room, a central gathering place, provides a wood stove with stone mantel as well as access to the front deck overlooking the ocean. Ocean-view picture windows run along the dining and living rooms and the first-floor master bedroom. The kitchen is fully equipped for all your cooking and baking needs. Enjoy the yard for charcoal grilling and outdoor games. And you'll have plenty of driveway parking.
Bedrooms and baths:
First level: master bedroom with two twin beds and a full bathroom; a second full bathroom off the kitchen
Second level: three rustic wood-panel bedrooms, each with two twin beds; a half bathroom