About the property
- Cottage2000 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay3 nights
Mountain Hikers - Tennis Enthusiasts - Nature Lovers Private Paradise
This inviting vacation home " The Birdhouse" Country Cottage includes:
* Two floors for separated privacy.
* Main level has open floor plan, custom kitchen, dining area, two bedrooms (each with queen sized bed); and lovely shared bath.
* Lower level includes queen-sized memory foam sleeper sofa and HDTV. Mini-Kitchen with refrigerator, microwave, dining area with bar-be-que grill just outside.
* Completely updated 2015 with all new appliances and interior (includes dishwasher; washer and dryer) and seating and sleeping furnishings.
* Year-Round serious central heat and air throughout.
* HDTV (Dish Satellite) and WiFi internet access.
* Received only five star reviews from previous guests (sadly reviews cannot be
from previous VRBO listings when we changed property numbers)
* Some excerpts from the reviews: "Our stay at the "Birdhouse" has definitely been
the highlight of our trip." "...convenient to Franklin and a very good value and
* NEW FEATURE: SOFT SURFACE PICKLEBALL COURT WITH PADDLES AND BALLS
Special Features set us apart from the rest:
* Wide, unpaved two miles of roads and trails with elevation from 2300 to 3500 feet. Birds, deer, wild turkeys, and stunning views your only companions.
* Perfectly maintained, full-sized Har-tru tennis courts with private bath house and steam room just steps from your door.
* Gentle stream just below the home on your property.
* Start your day with peaceful solitude, enjoying your morning coffee from your private mountain deck as the sun rises and the captivating "smoke" rises from the Nantahala National Forest
* Cozy up around a fire at day's end, seated around the fire pit overlooking a long-range mountain view.
Comfort Added Services Available :
* Grocery shopping “survival list” will give you plenty of food and treats to provide sustenance when you enter the area. (We will provide a simple list of categories for you to fill in, which allows for special dietary wishes.)
* Cleaning Services during your stay, upon request.
* Spa Treatments including waxing, facials, manicures, pedicures, expert body massage, reflexology.
Prices provided upon request
* Private guides to many of our hiking and special mountain sites, upon request
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 06, 2018
About Bruce Selfon
Retired Federal Government employee and contractor. graduate of Case Western Reserve, Georgetown, and Stanford. active tennis player (hence the har-tru court) and garden laborer
Bruce Selfon purchased this Cottage in 2015
Why Bruce Selfon chose Cartoogechaye
this property was vacant and we bought it from FNMAE and gutted it in 2015/6. all new floors, walls, appliances, windows, you name it.
What makes this Cottage unique
you will have access to 90 private acres of adjacent land managed for conservation by the North Carolina Forest Service. Two miles of good roads up the Mountain to a height of 3500 ft. excellent Cell phone service everywhere.
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
The Birdhouse is PERFECT!
The Birdhouse is everything it says it is and much, much more! Beautiful views and a great area to visit. The house is up-to-date, very well done, with everything you need for a quiet place to stay, but not too far from anything you need. Fantastic hosts! We had a great time and are already planning our next visit!
Fantastic! 100% would recommend to anyone looking for a place to stay in the smokies!
TOTALLY Spectacular in Every Way
The Bird House is truly superb; exceeding our expectations in every way. It is an excellent combination of secluded, yet comfortably close to wonderful Franklin, NC. The Selfon's provided a surprising array of premium goodies for our 4-day stay, and you could not hope for better amenities or more personable and friendly hosts. We rented the cottage for the Great American Eclipse weekend and were accompanied by a few long-time friends and relatives for an absolute perfect view of totality. It was a weekend we will all remember with great fondness for the rest of our lives, and the Bird House was the perfect place for our little reunion. It will certainly be first on our list for future stays in the Franklin area.
Super Place to Stay
Beautiful place to stay and super convenient to all the falls and golf in the area. Bruce was extra helpful and the added extra of the tennis court was a plus. Great views and easy drive to store, etc. Almost scared to give five stars, because I'm afraid next year the place will be booked for our stay. Scott and Robin Frey.
We had a very nice stay at the Bird House! It is aptly named as we saw many birds up close and personal! The owners were very thoughtful and provided a few extra goodies including all the "fixin's" for a great breakfast! Very unexpected but delightful!
The location is perfect. We spent some time at our favorite local mine, Rose Creek Gem Mine, and even took a day trip to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Visited the Forgotten Caverns and played in the river by the Smokey Mountain Parkway.
It was wonderful to have a cozy home to come back to after all our excursions! We plan on staying here again!
We truly enjoyed our stay at the Birdhouse! The home is very clean. It's great for 2 couples because the downstairs basement has its own private space and has a very comfortable pull out couch. All the furniture and clean and the home appears to be newly renovated. Bruce and Lois are wonderful hosts! They were so eager to help us when we reached out to them! But they also are very respectful of their guest's privacy. They were the perfect hosts! Also, the view from the front porch is great! Even on days it rained, we enjoyed sitting under the overhang on the comfortable patio furniture. The home is also very easy to access. The road is easy to drive. Having a safe road is nice if you are not familiar with driving mountain roads. When we return to Franklin we will definitely be staying here again.
Explore Franklin and Surrounding Areas: ADDITION Airport Information - * Franklin has a private Airport = Macon County Airport - 5 miles from The BirdHouse * Atlanta, GA Airport is 2.5 hours from Franklin, NC * Greenville, SC Airport is 2 hours from Franklin, NC Franklin is a delight to many who visit year after year. A small town mountain community with lots of added charm, you'll find much more than you first expected. Wonderful Restaurants; state-of-the-art Performing Arts Theater, hours of entertainment at "The Factory" for families and kids of all ages; Tubing, zip lining, white-water-rafting and kayaking on nearby rivers and lakes; bass and trout fishing, fly fishing; Known as the Gem Capital of the World, you'll find Mining and Gem Shows. Some of the World's most spectacular Waterfalls are here, and you'll discover lots of historical doors to unlock. The Appalachian and Bartram Trails are world renown for serious hikers and day visitors alike. Harrah's world-class Casino is a short drive across a mountain. There are organized activities for bird watchers, plant identifiers and nature learning experiences of all kinds in this highly nature-diversified area of our Country. Every Season offers its own special gifts of nature. Extraordinary Autumn colors attract visitors from around the world. This is your opportunity to discover the simple pleasures that abound in our Carolina Smoky Mountains.