Cozy Down Home Beach Cottage 3 Blocks from the Beach
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-2 nights
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
The Down Home Beach Cottage was completely restored/ renovated in 2008-2010. It is located in the old San Jacinto Conservation District, which is on the gulf side of Galveston's famous historic east end. This area was destroyed during the Geat Storm of 1900, and was rebuilt after the hurricane as a neighborhood of 'worker's cottages' to house those working to rebuild the city. You can still get a feeling from the scale and character of the architecture of this neighborhood what it may have been like over 100 years ago. The San Jacinto Conservation District is a neighborhood in transition. This neighborhood has a 'beach bohemian' feel that exudes a more laid back and slower paced existence- even by Galveston standards! Be prepared for quaint cottage, 'funky beachtown' meets down home Galveston!
The cottage is approximately 1,000 square feet with 2 bedrooms and one bath. During the restoration, layers of materials and additions that were installed over the years had to be literally peeled back to reveal the homes original personality. Original cypress siding, windows, interior doors, and heart pine floors were salvaged, while the kitchen and bath were given substantial updates. The goal of the remodel was to retain as much of the period style and scale as possible, in playing up the charm and coziness of the home. The kitchen is 'cook friendly' in that it is well equipped, with everything at your finger tips. The cottage has a homey, cozy feel; and is tastefully furnished with a collection of flea market, thrift store, and antique shop finds. For ultimate comfort, several new items were brought in.
The garden is planted with a mix of perennials, herbs, and tropicals. Sip your morning coffee while rocking away on the front porch. Private back patio is the ideal setting for bar-b-ques or R & R.
The Down Home Beach Cottage is perfectly located for your Galveston stay. It will easily accomodate groups of up to 4 who are wanting to experience what Island visitors affectionatly call 'The Causeway Effect' !
PLEASE VIEW MY OTHER HOMEAWAY LISTING:
homeaway #905922 (3 bed 1 1/2 bath - sleeps 6) 1914 CRAFTSMAN BUNGALOW
homeaway #972233 (1 bed 1 bath - sleeps 2) ISLAND CARRIAGE HOUSE
homeaway #3915984 (3 bed 2 1/2 bath - sleeps 6) CIRCA. 1915 EAST END HOUSE
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
call between 7:00 am and 11:30 pm central time
Member since: 2011
- 1000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- Both bedrooms offer queen size beds with comfortable memory foam mattresses. Quality high thread count bed linens professionally laundered insure a great nights sleep. Central air/ heat, with ceiling fans in each bedroom . Furnished with a comfortable mix antiques and newer pieces, adding to the cozy charm of this turn of the century cottage. Master bedroom with 40' HD TV and blue ray DVD and small DVD library for your entertainment (some may not be appropriate for young children). Great views to the tropical garden. ...moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Cottage style bathroom equipped with a restored antique cast iron clawfoot tub with shower attachment. Refinished heart pine floors, ceiling fan, custom vanity, antique bead board wainscoting, and painted shiplap walls, play up the original character of this home. A stackable HE washer / dryer are at your finger tips, located in the closet . Several HE laundry detergent pods are provided for our guests convenience. Professionally laundered bath linens, complimentary bath soap/ shampoo/ coditioner/ lotion/ bath salts, and 2 rolls of toilet paper are provided....moreless
- The kitchen is stocked with numerous small appliances (toaster, coffee pot, crock pot, hot air popcorn popper, blender, rice cooker, hand mixer, and mini chop food processor). There are an assortment of pots, pans, bakeware, utensils, servingware, dinnerware, and flatware for your use. Spices will be hit and miss- we reccommend bringing your own if you plan on cooking. We do provide an assortment of teas, a starter bag of coffee, and coffee condiments/ sweeteners. We will provide several garbage bags, dishwasher soap tablets, dish soap, and 2 rolls of paper towels. The fridge has a water/ ice dispensor. We encourage you to make yourself at home!...moreless
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Air Conditioning:
- Basic Soaps
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer
- Filtered Water
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room
- Paper Towels
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Ice Maker
Cottage style full functioning kitchen with wood counters. Separate prep area with pot rack and small butcher block island. Electric stove, microwave, crock pot, rice cooker, ice cream maker, ......moreless
- Deck / Patio:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Porch / Veranda:
- Unscreened Porch / Veranda
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Daily rate 2016 - 17
Nov 7 - May 31, 2017
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $185
- Pet Fee $75 + tax
- Cleaning $95 + tax
- Tax Rate 15%
3 Night minimum stay for Lone Star Bike Rally (November 3 - 6, 2016) $285.00/ night
Dogs allowed with $90.00 pet fee. Additional dog considered with additional fee.
$175 Damage Security Deposit (refundable)
$130 Linens/Cleaning Fee
15% tax (does not apply to stays 30 days or more and damage deposit is non taxable)
Dogs allowed at owner's discretion w/ $90 non refundable pet fee. Additional dogs considered w/ additional pet fee
Payment in full for reservations 30 days out or less
$100.00 cancelation fee
* SUMMER RATES APPLY FOR MARDI GRAS WEEKEND AND LONE STAR BIKE RALLY WEEKEND
* Must be age 25 or older
Manager's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The Down Home Beach Cottage is located on the gulf side of Galveston's historic east end, in the old San Jacinto Conservation District. This home is mere minuites from the bustling downtown Strand shopping district and cruise ship terminal on the harbor side (north), and 3-4 blocks from the beaches and restaurants along Seawall Blvd. and Galveston's gulf side (south). Stewart Beach and Porretto Beach are a 4 - 5 block walk south and east from the cottage.
Spend the day shopping the art galleries, antique shops, and whimsical store fronts of the lively Strand downtown area. Numerous restaurants offering an assortment of choices are within a 1/2 mile radius. 'Mosquito Cafe', 'Pattycakes Bakery', 'Sunflower Bakery and Market', 'Original Mexican Restaurant' to the north; 'Benno's Cajun Seafood', Shy Katz Deli and Bakery , 'Mario's Seawall Itallian' (great pizza), and 'Russo's New York' Itallian to the south... just for STARTERS! Visit one of the grand homes along Broadway to really appreciate Galveston's place in history, or take in The 'Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier', all just minuites from your doorstep! Book a couple of nights before or after your cruise, as the cruise ship terminal is less than a mile and a half , or 4 minutes away.
Moody Gardens aquarium and rain forest pyramids, Schlitterbahn Waterpark, and the municipal golf course are within a 15 minute drive to the west end. And then there are the miles of sandy beaches...
- Primary: +1 8322797664 call between 7:00 am and 11:30 pm central time
- Secondary: +1 8322753544 call between 7:00 am and 11:30 pm central time
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
This charming ca. early 1900's cottage offers the guests a step back in time!
Kitchen leads out to this private back patio consumed with lush tropical plants
Relax in this light & bright living area w/ wood floors...opens to dining area!
As you can see lots of natural light..corner chair has great view to front porch
View into kitchen...serving hutch in dining area. A great space to share meals!
Stocked w/all items necessary the make your experience feel like home.
Back bedroom w/queen memory foam/stenciled flooring/5 windows/bed reading lamps
40 " HD cable TV w/ blue ray DVD player & DVD library in chest/WiFi internet
Period style bath w/original wood walls/leg tub with shower/SOAK AND ENJOY!
view our other listing: homeaway.com/3920063 ... 3 bed 2 1/2 bath sleeps 6
Relax on the front porch and enjoy the sounds of the gulf. A great escape!
Dog trot style central hall w/antique pendant lights, central A/C and HEAT!
Area offers views to the white picket fenced front yard w/mature landscaping.
Dining opens to living area...seats 4 w/two extra side chairs. Period lighting!
Period style cabinets/wood counter/fully equipped w/ice maker/disposal/D/W!
Coffee bar stocked w/condiments (coffee provided) area opens to back garden.
Let nature come inside this bedroom...great views to the side and back gardens
Stocked w/soaps, shampoo, professionally laundered towels...W/D for guests use!
Front bedroom w/queen memory foam/prof laundered bed linens/great view to porch!
The cottage is 2 1/2 blocks to the beach. Stewart/ Poretti Beach 4 - 5 blocks
View our other listing: homeaway.com/3915984 ... 3 bed 2 1/2 bath sleeps 6
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM