4 bedrooms, 2 and 1/2 bathrooms, sleeps max 9
About j. Zappala
My husband and I are originally from NH and returned to the New England area in 1996. We have always loved the Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee area and in 2008 we were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to purchase a home on Lake Sunapee. Acquiring this cottage next door allows us to maintain the property and offer our guests use of our personal kayaks during their stay at the cottage.
j. Zappala purchased this Cottage in 2011
Why j. Zappala chose Sunapee
Special rates for August, September and October bookings!
Check-in: 2:00 p.m.
Check-out: 10:00 a.m.
Minimum age of primary renter:25
No refunds for cancellations made after payment is made
Great location, wonderful host; needs a deep clean
* Great location with the easy walk downtown to restaurants, ice-cream, river walk; fantastic views from the deck and the dock
* Loved the lakeside deck and the kids really enjoyed the dock for swimming and hanging out
* Very gracious and responsive host
* The house was comfortably sized for our group (6 adults, 2 teens, 3 grade-schoolers)
* It was relatively quiet
* Wonderful location for boating (sailboat, motorboat), kayaking, paddle-boarding.
* Close to several good hikes (Mt. Kearsarge) and Mt. Sunapee activities
* We hadn't expected the steepness and length of the stairs from street level down to the house - a serious consideration for my sister-in-law with a handicapped knee, and it would have been impossible had more senior members of our family been along. Perhaps it is stated somewhere in the property description and we overlooked it, but that could have been a deal-breaker had we known in advance. As it was, it worked out OK but it still came as a surprise.
* Both my Mom and my sister-in-law commented separately about the cleanliness of the kitchen: cabinet doors were sticky, something had spilled and left a residue in the pots-n-pans cabinet; also would recommend throwing away the old, scratchy teflon pans.
* The house overall was very dusty, and it seemed like it was in need of a serious deep-clean.
* The mold downstairs was very bad, two of our party had an allergy response and a third had an asthma attack from the moldiness. Fortunately things improved after opening up and airing out the house for a full day, but it was still an ongoing concern and mold-sensitive people had to avoid the downstairs for the duration of our visit.
* The twin bedframes downstairs are very old and not well-made, and probably should be replaced soon. Fortunately we were able to repair the one that broke (had a 15-yr-old sleeping on it), but we were simply repairing the same break that had happened before (you can see the glue and screws from a previous fix).
Overall summary: The location, rates and general accommodations are things we liked a lot, plus the host's hospitality and responsiveness (even going so far as to help rescue my brother when he capsized our sailboat). However the general cleanliness and more importantly the mold/mildew issue would probably prevent us from renting again, given the allergy sensitivity among some of my family members.
There is no mold in the cottage. Prior to this guests arrival there had been a lot of rain and changes in weather and the home had been closed up. Upon the guests arrival I immediately brought over fans, turned on the dehumidifier and did all I could to do to make their stay enjoyable. I returned later to confirm the slight mildew odor had dissipated. I was told by the individual who had signed the lease that there was no evidence of a smell to him. The home is described as access via stairs from the street and wheelchair inaccessible, as are many homes on the lake. My husband, who was injured at the time, took our jet ski out to rescue one of the guests who had capsized their sailboat. We take pride in offering our home to individuals who want to enjoy being on Lake Sunapee and within walking distance to Dewey beach and Sunapee Harbor.
Relaxing lake house
We had booked the house on Lake Sunapee for a family reunion. I very much enjoyed talking with Judy, the owner. She made every effort to make sure that we had everything we needed! The weather was wonderful and the house was perfectly situated to entertain all family members ages 2-80! Thank you again Judy! We all talked of trying to make this a regular event!
Our vacation at Lake Sunapee and our stay at this cottage was perfect! The cottage is clean and well maintained. The kitchen had everything we needed and made it easy to prepare home cooked meals. Each bedroom is a good size and this cottage offered plenty of room for our four generations of family! The deck is a perfect spot to sit and enjoy the lake and watch the boats go by. We rented a boat one day and the dock had plenty of room to come and go with the boat. Everyone enjoyed jumping off the dock and swimming in the crystal clear water! We brought our own Kyacks and floats and the harbor was a perfect place to enjoy floating around. The owners Tim and Judy offer great customer service and a very friendly atmosphere!
Excellent lakeside location on Sunapee harbor.
This was a great house that can sleep up to 10 people. Terrific location close to stores and restaurants in Sunapee. Dock and kayaks were fun.
A wonderful Sunapee getaway!!!
Over the last 10 years we have stayed at different waterfront cottages on Lake Sunapee but this one had everything we needed.... especially a wonderful dock to swim off of and plenty of room to socialize with family and friends. The cottage was very clean. The kitchen was terrific, large new refridgerator, gas stove & lots of counter space. Also parking was not an issue. There was room for all of our cars and any overflow had the harbor area to park.
Judy, the owner was great, always available and very friendly!
Can't wait for next year!!!
Relax with friends/family in Sunapee Harbor
The comforts of a classic New England cottage, that easily sleeps 10. Our group had a wonderful time cooking our own meals and gathering in the large living room to eat, play guitars and sing folk songs. A favorite time was just sitting out on the dock watching the parade of boats going in and out of Sunapee Harbor.
It's an easy walk to Sunapee Harbor for awesome icecream or a visit to the local Thrift Store. Judy was a wonderful host and make everything effortlessly for us.
Swimming, boating, hiking, biking, dining, bars, ice cream and candy store, concerts, shopping, boat tours... all within walking distance!
Plenty of activities nearby for the whole family. Less than half a mile to the private town beach... less than a 2 minute walk to Lake Sunapee Harbor!
You'll have no problem planning activities for everyday of your stay... although, once you sit down on the deck or edge of the dock, you may just be tempted to plan on doing nothing at all!
Other Activities: Walk to Sunapee Harbor
Golf: Eastman, Newport, Hanover