One bedroom loft condo
- english, french
About Chris Dowling
Smal business owner in medical equipment; owner of several downtown condos available for executive rentals.
Chris Dowling purchased this Condo in 2008
Why Chris Dowling chose Rio Grande
The comforts of home at the same price or less than a nice hotel. Spacious with a location that cannot be beat.
What makes this Condo unique
Location, location, location. Plus the ambiance of a 100+ year old building with wide plank flooring and brick walls that has been converted to possess the modern conveniences of every day living.
Check-in: 3:00 p.m.
Check-out: 11:00 a.m.
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
What You See is What You Get
Our short, 2-night stay went quite well with no major complaints. The pictures in the posting are a perfect representation of what this property looks like in person.
What we liked:
- The property was very clean and amply stocked with extra supplies.
- The location was great for walking to major downtown SLC attractions, bars, and restaurants.
- The area is a still a bit “up and coming” so the multiple layers of security and gated, free parking were appreciated. This did make the instructions for how to get into the apartment quite detailed. Make sure to have those instructions handy during your ingress – there are multiple steps to get from the street to the apartment door, but the instructions were clear and precise.
- The bed, linens, and pillows were very comfortable!
- Some previous comments on this listing mention excessive noise. I did not find that to be a problem. There was some noise from the street (occasional fire trucks, some early night revelers going to a Jazz game, and some soft music), but that is to be expected in a location like this. Moreover, once I was in the bedroom, which positioned on the inner wall of the apartment, those sounds dropped away to virtually non-existent. I am a very light sleeper, and noise did not keep me up (but see below).
What we didn’t like:
- Our main gripe was the bedroom window shade. The window has a faux wood venetian blind that did not quite cover the entire window. The window opens onto a breezeway or “atrium,” as the owners call it. That atrium is well lit at night by several light fixtures, some of which were directly outside the bedroom window. As mentioned above, I am a light sleeper. That extra light spilling in made it difficult for me to sleep. My wife was also bothered by the window because of the possibility that someone could peek into the room from the atrium. For us, it was a simple fix of putting a sheet over the window. However, the owners could take the more permanent step of installing a black out shade/drape in the room.
- Some of the electrical outlets did not work in the apartment. Specifically, some of the standard wall plugs only had one working outlet (rather than the normal two). Once we figured this out it was no big deal, but it meant a night without our devices charging because we neglected to check if they were actually charging after we plugged them in. So just be careful!
Overall, it was a great experience and we recommend it!
Beautiful property with a short walk to downtown
This property was a wonderful place to stay in while we visited Salt Lake City! It was very clean and offered a comfortable stay, while being close to the downtown. We are very happy with our experience!
We really enjoyed our stay. Space is perfect for a couple. Location is perfect for walking to restaurants. Definitely would stay again!
Comfortable central location
Very nice "downtown loft style condo" in warehouse conversion building with parking. Comfortable unit as described and the washer/dryer is a bonus. Neighbors who live in building full time were friendly and welcoming. Owner Chris and Manager Jen very quick to take care of a minor hiccup we encountered with an owner/neighbor. Location has great walkability and central access for driving to all ski areas. Highly suggest taking in a Jazz or Utes game if in season. Vosen's Bakery, La Barba for coffee, George (formerly Finca), Chile-Tepin for Mexican, Caputo's for lots of good Italian items, Carlucci Bakery, and Cucina Toscano are all excellent and just a quick walk away. A bit further is City Creek with usual mall shopping and restaurants. Would book this unit again in the future.
Perfect location, clean and convenient
We spent a week in this apartment and really enjoyed it. The building is a renovated warehouse and is the apartment is compact and comfortable. We had our own parking space as part of the rental. The location made it easy for us to walk or take a Lyft almost anywhere. Very clean and simple environment. Owners were very responsive and helpful. One caution: when arriving at night, it is tricky to find the keypad entrance, so ask the owner for detailed instructions or perhaps a little drawing. Because it is an older building, it is a bit hard to figure out the location the first time around.
Really nice condo, just like the pictures but had some issues
We rented this VRBO 10/11-18 while visiting our son in SLC. Overall very nice and good location but there were a few things we had issues with...ESP the noise factor...
1. Extremely loud noise coming from the large vent in the atrium as shown in the pictures. It's from the restaurant below. It is right outside the bedroom window and ran late into the night. We had to use a sound machine to disguise the noise to sleep!
2. The restaurant is on the first floor below the apartment and you can hear loud music until late in the night coming from the restaurant below. And you can hear the renters or tenants above walking (loud) since the floors are wooden.
3. There are no end tables on either side of the sofa to place your early morning coffee or evening glass of wine. We used boxes from the store.
4. The Master bedroom is very small and one side of the bed does not have a side table or lamp. Only wooden blinds on the window letting in early morning light.
5. The oven is not baking at the correct temperature. (We had to keep turning up the temp to get it to bake) We ruined a crawfish pie and stuffed shrimp we brought in from LA for our son while watching the LSU game. Thankfully we had another that we cooked at his apartment the next day.
If you don't mind the noise and don't want to cook it is a nice condo in a nice location!!!! Sorry I would love to give it a 5 star but we were very disappointed with our stay!!! On a good note Jen the manager was very easy to reach and very kind and helpful!!!
So sorry for the issues you brought up. So few people use the stove that we were unaware of this problem. We have purchased a brand new stove and new end tables as per your suggestion. We have not had a complaint about noise in the past so that is very difficult to address although we will look into it. We try very hard to make the rental experience an enjoyable one as our other reviews clearly state. We have reached out to you by text, email and telephone call to offer some credit/refund in an attempt to make you happy but you will not respond. We feel we have done all we can. To our future travelers, please read our other reviews, we are certain you will have a wonderful and happy experience.