"This was our first visit to the Big Island, and we spent a week here celebrating my birthday. We're not exactly the resort variety, and we like to immerse ourselves in the local culture. With that in mind, we found this place to be perfect in that aspect.
Our favorite things about the unit:
- As was mentioned in the other reviews, the large lanai. We spent most of our mornings and evenings here enjoying the view and the sounds of the surf. The lanai overlooks the famous Banyan Beach surf spot, and we enjoyed watching the surfers. The view from the living room and bedroom were excellent as well.
- "Da Poke Shack" is right downstairs! This place is consistently ranked as some of the best poke on the Big Island, and it was the first place we ate upon arriving.
- The unit is fully stocked (especially the kitchen). We're "foodies" so we didn't spend much time preparing food here. However, there were a few occasions where we made breakfast, as well as some fresh Kona coffee (there is a grinder and coffee maker), and we found everything we needed. We could have just as easily prepared food here all week with how well stocked it was. We also found the washer/dryer very useful as well as the laundry basket.
- The free Wifi.
- The air conditioner in the bedroom. We stayed here at the end of July, so there were a few nights we ran it when it was especially hot/humid. As somewhat of a side note, I believe somebody in another review mentioned it was on a 2 hour timer. It is actually a 12 hour one.
- The Big Island Revealed book under the coffee table (among the many other useful guide books). This especially helped us with our exploration of the island.
- The ample parking.
A couple of other notes:
- As a friendly note to future renters, the ceiling fans in the bedrooms are on speed switches with a scale of 0-4 (with 0 being off). In the excitement of everything, we set it at 4 the first night thinking this was the fastest setting. They only ran at medium speed though. It didn't occur to us until the next morning that 1 is actually the fastest setting.
- Liane (the owner) was very responsive, helpful and friendly. We will undoubtedly consider her units first when we return to the Big Island. Thank you for making our stay a wonderful one!"
Guest: Michael S.
Date of Stay: July 2016
Review Submitted: August 3, 2016