"Where does the time go? Just last Tuesday we were fishing the Betsie in a raucous thunderstorm. The fishing was pretty bad. I'm not going to lie about it. I think we were a bit early this year. There were some fish in the river but the numbers seemed very low. Even the dead spawned out salmon were almost nonexistent. Hard to plan a trip a year out when so many conditions contribute to the salmon runs. I've never heard the phrase "That's why they call it fishing and not catching" more than this year. However, being fishermen, we know to have a plan B and sometimes C, and D to offset any fishing woes.
Five guys this trip and it was the 29th year we've been coming up here. Almost Home is the perfect launch pad for our activities and excursions for the week. If you want the perfect trip follow these rules.
1. Bring all your fishing equipment (All of it!) You have piers, docks, rivers, and lakes. Wednesday evening, 3 of us went down to the Crystal Lake fishing dock and caught about a 100 Rock Bass.
2. Bring bikes. You’re sitting on top of the Bestie Valley Trail. You’re halfway between Frankfort and Thompsonville. It’s a 20 mile round trip from the house to Frankfort and back. Awesome views following Crystal Lake then the Betsie River and finally the big water in Frankfort. We rode to the Stormcloud Brewery in Frankfort for a couple of pints before heading back. Plan for 2 hours of ride time. Stop and have some fun! You could easily spend a half day or more in the bike friendly town of Frankfort.
3. Bring Kayaks. A little more tricky because you’ll need a chase vehicle but worth it! Put in above the dam or on river road. I would not launch to go downstream at the dam in the fall. You’ll have to pass about a 100 people and there is a portage this year about a ½ mile down. If you’re quiet you’ll see tons of birds, Bald Eagles, and waterfowl. We packed the rods and caught a nice salmon and some rainbow trout.
4. Bring your golf clubs. We didn’t this year but in years past we tore it up. There are some great golf courses up here (Pinecroft, Crystal MT.) to challenge any level of play. Plus, the views are amazing.
5. Bring your camera. And I’m not talking a cell phone. You could spend an entire day or week just getting some fantastic shots.
We cooked every day at the house. Between the kitchen and the grill you have everything that you need to eat like royalty. The Shop and Save store in Benzonia (couple miles away) is stocked with some great prov"
Guest: Robert M.
Date of Stay: September 2016
Review Submitted: September 20, 2016