A House to Love: 4 Brs, 4 Baths / $750/Week Starting August 31
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:Contact manager
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Gouldsboro house description
I doubt that you will find a rental fee this low for a house with this location, and of this size, charm, and quality.
People simply fall in love with the house and grounds and with the nearby fishing villages in this unspoiled area of Maine -- all the beauty, activities, and adventure of Mt. Desert Island and Bar Harbor but without the crowds and commercialism.
I hope the photos speak for themselves. I will highlight only a few points:
1. ROOM LAYOUT: The house has an unusual room layout, which provides space and privacy for family, guests, or couples vacationing together. Each of the four bedrooms (one of which is conveniently located on the first floor) has its own bath, and there is a second interior staircase, off the library, that leads to a two-room-plus-bath suite.
2. GET STARTED YOUR FIRST DAY -- SO MUCH TO DO, SO NEARBY!! I know of no more convenient, centrally located spot on all of Schoodic Peninsula. Here are a dozen things (and there are many more) that you can jump right into: (1) Drive the 27-mile Schoodic Peninsula National Scenic Byway. As you go through the 2000-acre mainland section of Acadia National Park, have a picnic at Frazer Point, then head to the crashing waves of Schoodic Point, the largest rock outcropping on the eastern seaboard; (2) Stop at the fishing villages of Prospect Harbor or Winter Harbor and buy fresh lobster straight off the boats from the co-op on the wharf; (3) Join Captain Robertson for a boat tour of the majestic beauty of Maine's coastline and wildlife -- puffin-watching, lighthouse tours, lobster fishing... (4) Check out the concert/chamber music schedule of the nationally-renowned Pierre Monteux School for Conductors; (5) Hike Schoodic Mountain or the Salt Pond Preserve or the Schoodic Bog or a half-dozen other trails and areas maintained and protected by the Frenchman Bay Conservancy; (6) Walk a half-mile up the road and meet the friendly staff of Mandala Farm, a horse-powered organic farm, and don't forget to buy some organic produce, eggs, and meats from their on-your-honor farm store; (7) Bike or hike (bike rentals are available) the newly-opened Sunrise Trail, an 85-mile trail that is the longest continuous trail in Maine and part of the Rails-to-Trails initiative (go to the Sunrise Trails website for maps and access points); (8) Visit one of the many nearby galleries and artist studios --Works of Hand, which features over 50 Maine artists, craftsmen, and authors; Chapter Two, where you'll find Rosemary's hand-dyed wool and and hand-hooked rugs and her husband's remarkable collection of rare books; U.S. Bells, where you will see hand-cast bronze bells; the Littlefield Gallery, Hog Bay Pottery...and too many more to mention; (9) Get your feet wet and collect ocean rocks at the only sandy ocean beach within 50 miles -- across from Oceanside Meadows Inn on Corea road; (10) Go fresh water swimming or canoeing at nearby Jones Pond ('pond' in Maine translates to 'lake); (11) Golf at Winter Harbor's Grindstone, a course that practically falls into the ocean; (12) Get at body-level with the water on a sea kayak tour -- rent your own or engage a Master Maine guide to take you along the scenic bays and islands. Look for seals, porpoises, eagles, and osprey; (13) Then come home to a beautiful house and relax with good conversation, a good book.....ALL THE ACTIVITIES DESCRIBED ABOVE ARE WITHIN A 3-to-20 MINUTE DRIVE FROM OUR HOUSE!!
3. RENTAL PRICE: Please do search the other VRBO listings for this area. I am confdent you will find nothing that compares in terms of charm, space, and convenience for a rental fee of $1250/week for July and August, $1000/week for May, June, and Sept., and $850/week for April and October. Negotiated discounts available for stays longer than two weeks.
4. CELL PHONES AND INTERNET: Some sections of small-town Maine have terrible cell phone reception, and some have none at all. I am happy to say that we get excellent reception at our house. In addition, high speed wi-fi became available to our area just this past winter, and it is available for your use.
5 ATTENTION ALL COOKS: The kitchen is a joy to cook in -- spacious; lovely natural light; fully-stocked with quality equipment; gas oven; large country-apron porcelain sink; and a convenient breakfast table.
6. NO CLUTTER: Having rented many vacation homes while my children were growing up, I was determined to avoid two extremes: on the one hand, clutter (there's enough of that at home!), and on the other extreme, a stripped starkness that always made me feel I was in a motel. Our home avoids both these extremes. It has NO clutter -- every item in the house is there for either utilitarian or aesthetic reasons. You will have everything you need, but you won't have to rummage through crowded kitchen drawers, for example, to find the can opener! Aesthetically, you will be surrounded by a tasteful, comfortable, inviting environment. Quality art, restful colors, lovely light, a joy to wake up to and come home to. Everything chosen to complement the character of the home without being fussy.
7. THE GROUNDS: When was the last time you stayed in a home situated on 2.8 lovely acres? The abundance of land adds to the sense of tranquility and makes you feel that you are away, truly away. The grounds are partly planted and partly mowed, with areas of both sun and shade, three seating areas, a level stretch perfect for croquet or badminton or wiffle ball, and plenty of room to just run and romp. Families with young children have found this particularly helpful: After a long day of activities, parents can relax outside with a glass of wine while the kids run their willies off.
8. HELP IS NEARBY IF YOU NEED IT: We are fortunate to have the house and grounds looked after by neighbors who live just down the road. They have lived in the area most of their lives, and are available if you have questions or run into any problems (e.g., they know where to find a good dentist, heaven forbid!).
Do not hesitate to write if you need additional information.
Non-smoking. Small dogs that don't shed will be considered.
- Vacation Rental
The 2.8 landscaped acres make a wonderful play and exploring place for children. Grounds are very well-maintained and safe. You relax while they run off their energy! Short drive to the only sandy ocean beach within 50 miles. Also, quite nearby, is Jones Pond, a large fresh-water 'pond' with children's area. Many, many activities in area are suitable for children. Walk to organic farm. New 85-mile hiking/biking trail nearby....moreless
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7, Beds for 7
Bathrooms: 4 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils:
- Linens Provided:
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Wood Stove
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- Parking Off Street
- An UNCLUTTERED, restful environment, tastefully furnished. Croquet set, wiffle ball, large library of books, children's games. Aiderondack chairs for the yard and a rocking chair on the front porch. Plus a patio seating area with small table and chairs and shaded by a large Pottery Barn umbrella. Beach towels and beach/camping chairs. Bose readio/CD player. Carefully prepared 'House Book' with information to help you settle in quickly and easily (no looking for hidden light switches!); and loads of brochures and personal observations on local activities. A stock of basics, including paper towels, detergent, etc., is provided. Also, umbrellas, flashlights, outdoor grilling implements, a Kitchen Aid blender, gourmet cookbook , and much more....moreless
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Mobile Phone:
- Free Long Distance:
- Broadband Access
- Outdoor Grill
- Mountain Biking
- Wildlife Viewing
- Live Theater
- Sight Seeing
- Small coastal villages where you can watch the lobstermen work and buy fresh lobster from the co-op. Puffin sighting /lighthouse/ lobster boat excursions. Ten-minute drive to the mainland portion ( 2000 acres) of Acadia National Park and the open Atlantic -- all the beauty but not the crowds of Bar Harbor and Mt. Desert Island. Kayaking -- escorted or on your own. New 87 mile(!) bike/walking trail, the longest continuous trail in Maine. Short drive to a large fresh-water 'pond' with swimming and boating. Twenty-five-hundred-acre bird sanctuary (Petit Manan). Live classical concerts. One-half mile walk to organic farm and store. Charming historic libraries. Easy trips by car or ferry to Bar Harbor; or ferry to Nova Scotia. Bike and kayak rentals nearby. Stunning golf course is 10 minutes away, and practically falls into the ocean. Five minutes from local medical clinic, post office. New York Times available at 5&10 in Winter Harbor. Convenient to everything!!...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Beautiful Ash Farm
Beautiful Ash Farm
You can imagine my disappointment when a medical issue prevented me from spending a week last summer at Ash Farm on the beautiful mid-coast of Maine. Comforable (spacious) and very attractive. Location just perfect for my morning walks and lovely day trips to surrounding villages. Perfect for families and friends to share or to invite for an overnight visit. Close contact for manager to respond to any questions or advice on what to see in the area. Plan to go every summer.
- Guest Judy (Washington, DC)
- Date of stay 06/10/11
- Review Submitted 03/07/12
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, sightseeing, age 55+, families with young children.
July and August: $1250/week. May, June, Sept. - $1000/week. April and Oct.: $850/week. Negotiated discounts for stays of more than 2 wks. Weekly housekeeping (4 hours) included for multi-week stays, if desired. Search all the listings for this area of Maine: You won't find a house with the charm, the space, and the wonderful location for this price. A mandatory 7% Maine Lodging Tax is added to all rental fees; Maine relies heavily on tourism for its revenue.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
This manager accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the manager for more information.
- Primary: (202) 966-4268 (Washington, DC, USA)
- Secondary: (202) 253-2345 (cell)
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
This photo nicely captures the general look and feel of the house.
Centrally located on a quiet, deadend road, convenient to literally everything.
Note the antique French chandelier in the dining room.
The two-plus acres are a sea of tranquility and beauty.
This photo shows about half of the kitchen. Truly a joy to work and cook in.
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2006.
Date last modified - Monday, August 19, 2013