VRBO is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We’re committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Learn More
I doubt that you will find a rental fee this low for a house with this location, and of this size, charm, and quality.
People simply fall in love with the house and grounds and with the nearby fishing villages in this unspoiled area of Maine -- all the beauty, activities, and adventure of Mt. Desert Island and Bar Harbor but without the crowds and commercialism. Most people don't realize that the tip of Schoodic Peninsula consists of 2000 acres that are part of Acadia National Park, with trails and picnic areas and the largest rock outcropping on the entire East Coast. And if you do want to spend a day or two on Mt. Desert Island, you can take a beautiful ferry ride from Winter Harbor (7 minutes from our house) across Frenchman's Bay, or you can drive to the island...it's only 45 minutes or so by car.
I hope the photos speak for themselves. I will highlight only a few points:
1. ROOM LAYOUT: The house has an unusual room layout, which provides space and privacy for family, guests, or couples vacationing together. Each of the four bedrooms (one of which is conveniently located on the first floor) has its own bath, and there is a second interior staircase, off the library, that leads to a two-room-plus-bath suite.
2. GET STARTED YOUR FIRST DAY -- SO MUCH TO DO, SO NEARBY!! I know of no more convenient, centrally located spot on all of Schoodic Peninsula. The house is located just off Route 186 on a quiet deadend road, where all the homes are sited on at least one acre of land. Here are a dozen activities (and there are many more) that you can jump right into: (1) Drive the 27-mile Schoodic Peninsula National Scenic Byway. As you go through the 2000-acre mainland section of Acadia National Park, have a picnic at Frazer Point, then head to the crashing waves of Schoodic Point, the largest rock outcropping on the eastern seaboard; (2) Stop at the fishing villages of Prospect Harbor or Winter Harbor and buy fresh lobster straight off the boats from the co-op on the wharf; (3) Join Captain Robertson for a boat tour of the majestic beauty of Maine's coastline and wildlife -- puffin-watching, lighthouse tours, lobster fishing... (4) Check out the concert/chamber music schedule of the nationally-renowned Pierre Monteux School for Conductors; (5) Go bird-watching at one of the most famous sanctuaries in the state -- the 2000-acre Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge. Or hike Schoodic Mountain or the Salt Pond Preserve or the Schoodic Bog or a half-dozen other trails and areas maintained and protected by the Frenchman Bay Conservancy; (6) Walk a half-mile up the road and meet the friendly staff of Mandala Farm, a horse-powered organic farm, and don't forget to buy some organic produce, eggs, and meats from their on-your-honor farm store; (7) Bike or hike (bike rentals are available) the newly-opened Sunrise Trail, an 85-mile trail that is the longest continuous trail in Maine and part of the Rails-to-Trails initiative (go to www.sunrisetrail.org for maps and nearby access points); (8) Visit one of the many nearby galleries and artist studios --Works of Hand, which features over 50 Maine artists, craftsmen, and authors; Chapter Two, where you'll find Rosemary's hand-dyed wool and and hand-hooked rugs and her husband's remarkable collection of rare books; U.S. Bells, where you will see hand-cast bronze bells; the Littlefield Gallery, Hog Bay Pottery...and too many more to mention; (9) Get your feet wet and collect ocean rocks at the ONLY sandy ocean beach within 50 miles -- across from Oceanside Meadows Inn on Corea Road; (10) Go fresh water swimming or canoeing at nearby Jones Pond ("pond" in Maine translates to "lake"); (11) Golf at Winter Harbor's Grindstone, a course that practically falls into the ocean; (12) Get at body-level with the water on a sea kayak tour -- rent your own or engage a Master Maine guide to take you along the scenic bays and islands. Look for seals, porpoises, eagles, and osprey; (13) Make the drive north to visit FDR's Campobello Island...Then come home to a beautiful house and lovely grounds and relax with good conversation, a good book, a glass of wine.....ALL THE ACTIVITIES DESCRIBED ABOVE (except Campobello) ARE WITHIN A 3-to-20 MINUTE DRIVE FROM OUR HOUSE!!
3. RENTAL PRICE: Please do search the other VRBO listings for this area. I am confdent you will find nothing that compares in terms of charm, space, and convenience for a rental fee of $1250/week for July and August, $1000/week for May, June, and Sept., and $850/week for April and October. Negotiated discounts available for stays longer than two weeks.
4. CELL PHONES AND INTERNET: Some sections of small-town Maine have terrible cell phone reception, and some have none at all. I am happy to say that we get excellent reception at our house. In addition, high speed wi-fi recently became available in our area and is ready for your use.
5 ATTENTION ALL COOKS: The kitchen is a joy to cook in -- spacious; lovely natural light; fully-stocked with quality equipment; gas oven; large country-apron porcelain sink; and a convenient breakfast table.
6. NO CLUTTER: Having rented many vacation homes while my children were growing up, I was determined to avoid two extremes: on the one hand, clutter (there's enough of that at home!), and on the other extreme, a stripped starkness that always made me feel I was in a motel. Our home avoids both these extremes. It has NO clutter -- every item in the house is there for either utilitarian or aesthetic reasons. You will have everything you need, but you won't have to rummage through crowded kitchen drawers, for example, to find the can opener! Aesthetically, you will be surrounded by a tasteful, comfortable, inviting environment. Quality art, restful colors, lovely light, a joy to wake up to and come home to. Everything chosen to complement the character of the home without being fussy.
7. THE GROUNDS: When was the last time you stayed in a home situated on 2.8 lovely acres? The abundance of land adds to the sense of tranquility and makes you feel that you are away, truly away. The grounds are partly planted with lovely gardens, and most of the remainder is mowed, with areas of both sun and shade, three seating areas, a level stretch perfect for croquet or badminton or wiffle ball, and plenty of room to just run and romp. Families with young children have found this particularly helpful: After a long day of activities, parents can relax outside with a glass of wine while the kids run their willies off.
8. HELP IS NEARBY IF YOU NEED IT: The only Medical Clinic on Schoodic Peninsula is a 3-minute (!) drive, and there is a highly-respected, full-service hospital in Ellsworth. And we are fortunate to have the house and grounds looked after by a master gardener and jack-of-all-trades who lives not far away and is available 24/7 should any problem arise.
Do not hesitate to write if you need additional information.
The 2.8 landscaped acres make a wonderful play and exploring place for children. Grounds are very well-maintained and safe. You relax while they run off their energy! Short drive to the only sandy ocean beach within 50 miles. Also, quite nearby, is Jones Pond, a large fresh-water 'pond' with children's area. Many, many activities in area are suitable for children. Walk to organic farm. New 85-mile hiking/biking trail nearby....moreless
Non Smoking Only
Pets Not Allowed:
Small dogs that don't shed will be considered....moreless
An UNCLUTTERED, restful environment, tastefully furnished. Croquet set, wiffle ball, large library of books, children's games. Aiderondack chairs for the yard and a rocking chair on the front porch. Plus a patio seating area with small table and chairs and shaded by a large Pottery Barn umbrella. Beach towels and beach/camping chairs. Bose readio/CD player. Carefully prepared 'House Book' with information to help you settle in quickly and easily (no looking for hidden light switches!); and loads of brochures and personal observations on local activities. A stock of basics, including paper towels, detergent, etc., is provided. Also, umbrellas, flashlights, outdoor grilling implements, a Kitchen Aid blender, gourmet cookbook , and much more....moreless
There are approximately 200 books in the house -- something for everyone...including children's books....moreless
Monopoly; large, floor-size checker board mat and checkers; jigsaw puzzles...and a card table to spread them out on; playing cards; drawing materials, etc., for children....moreless
All calls within the State of Maine are free....moreless
New, high-quality linens throughout; includes beach towels....moreless
Excellent cell phone reception, which is not true for many areas and small towns of Maine. The nearby villages of Winter Harbor and Corea, for example, have limited-to-no cell phone reception. ...moreless
Parking Off Street:
Large paved driveway. Plenty of room for two cars....moreless
Surrounded by flowers. Large sun umbrella, table, and chairs. Three different seating areas on beautiful two-acre grounds, including two new wooden Aiderondack chairs. Rocking chair on front porch....moreless
You are 10 minutes from one of the most beautiful public courses in the country...Grindstone in Winter Harbor. Borders the ocean and feels like a private club....moreless
* Approximate Monthly rates, actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay
Additional information about rental rates
Pay with confidence
Paying through this free service protects your payment up to $10,000 against listing fraud. If you are not paying through HomeAway Payments always call the owner at the number listed on our website and never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.
Small coastal villages where you can watch the lobstermen work and buy fresh lobster from the co-op. Puffin sighting /lighthouse/ lobster boat excursions. Ten-minute drive to the mainland portion ( 2000 acres) of Acadia National Park and the open Atlantic -- all the beauty but not the crowds of Bar Harbor and Mt. Desert Island. Kayaking -- escorted or on your own. New 87 mile(!) bike/walking trail, the longest continuous trail in Maine. Short drive to a large fresh-water 'pond' with swimming and boating. Twenty-five-hundred-acre bird sanctuary (Petit Manan). Live classical concerts. One-half mile walk to organic farm and store. Charming historic libraries. Easy trips by car or ferry to Bar Harbor; or ferry to Nova Scotia. Bike and kayak rentals nearby. Stunning golf course is 10 minutes away, and practically falls into the ocean. Five minutes from local medical clinic, post office. New York Times available at 5&10 in Winter Harbor. Convenient to everything!!