Lakefront--Island Paradise--Once in a Lifetime Rental-- Featured in NY Magazine(12 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-31 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
5 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. Sleeps 11
Extraordinary home on a private ISLAND in New Jersey's largest mountain lake -- 'hot, hot, hot' Lake Hopatcong. It's a lakefront vacation rental that is more like a resort. There are 18 homes on the island, all a footpath away from each other.
No boat? No problem. Rent an extra-large aluminum dinghy with an engine on the back from Dick Dow's Marina or a 22' pontoon boat from San Bar Marina. Rent by the day, week, or month.
House sleeps 11, with two snoozing in the bunk house. Tweenies and teenagers prefer roughing it in the bunk house.
This vacation cottage rental was built by a wealthy jeweler who was a consultant in diamonds to Tiffany's in the early 1900's. Pinehurst, as the Hartdegen family named 48 Halsey Island in 1902, can hold its own among unique vacation homes.
How large is Halsey Island? About 40 Acres of mostly woodland. However, you are never isolated on Halsey Island. There is a lovely wooded trail in the interior of the island and all islanders are welcome to use it.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2009
- Max. occupancy 11
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11, Beds for 11
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- Generous sized, light and airy bathrooms. First floor bathroom is off the kitchen and has a large tub. Upstairs bathroom is at the end of the hall and has a shower. Everyone has easy access to both indoor bathrooms. The spiffy new outhouse (two-seater!) is available on an as needed basis!. Large hot water heater accommodates a full house....moreless
- There are 37 (thirty-seven, count 'em) uneven stone steps from dock to the house, so you must have some stamina to hike up and down. The dock is L-shaped and 75' long. There is a sandy area for young kids and shallow water near the beach area. Plunge into deep water from the diving board and fanny-grabbing slide at the end of the dock. Lake water is pumped up from the lake and into the house to the kitchen and bathrooms. Fresh drinking water comes from an old hand-pump well (send the kids!) about 100-feet behind the house, though lake water is fine for showering, cooking, brushing teeth, and the occasional sip. Of course, there is electricity on the island and to the house, but you'll find hurricane lamps in the pantry, just in case. TV reception, such as it is, is by antenna. Internet connection is fine. Bring your cell phone. Enjoy 100 years of books, board games and jigsaw puzzles. There's a 100-year-old, playable, upright, grand piano that has not been tuned in decades. ...moreless
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Autumn Foliage
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Lake View
- Mountain View:
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Water Skiing
- Water Tubing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Dining Room
- Seating for 6 people
Every bedroom has a large ceiling fan. Two of the bedrooms also have window a/c's. There are an additional three fans in the house. However, we find a jump in the lake usually does the job....moreless
- Basic Soaps
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Ice Maker
- Mini Refrigerator
- Pantry Items
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Boat Dock
- Fully Fenced Property
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Large Cooler
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Porch / Veranda
- Sand Box
- Unscreened Porch / Veranda
- Walkway To Water
- Wood Deck
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
July August Sept
Jul 1 - Sep 30, 2017
31 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Pet Fee $200
- Refundable Damage Deposit $2,000
- Cleaning $140
We require references. Guests sign a simple, two-page plain English seasonal lease.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
A Rare Rental! Book now for 2017.
For the overactive: Great boating. Great fishing. Great swimming.
For the lazybones: Chilled wine on the porch. Snoozing in the hammock. Laying face down on a beach chair on the dock. For the social: Great restaurants on the water. BBQ in the big back yard.
For the shoppers: Lafayette Village and Waterloo Village. AND, that ONE hour to NYC by car, train or bus!
Other Activities: Boating, fishing, sailing, rock climbing! Over 40 public and private golf courses in the area.
So Much Wind! So Many Regattas!
Dock & Boat House View from Point
Charming Dining Area on Porch
Example of Lovely Guest Bedroom
180 Degrees of fabulous Water Views
4th of July Yacht Club Fireworks Over the Lake
Bring Your Sears and Roebuck Catalog! The Ever Popular Outdoor Loo!
Main House Overlooking Lake Hopatcong
Another View of the Porch
Cozy Living Room with BIG Fireplace
Turn of The Century Dining Room
Chris Crafts Rival Lake Tahoe Wooden Boats
Wow! Caught on Lake Hopatcong!
Lady of the Manor!
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.